Is Golf Your Most Expensive Hobby?

Yep. Any other physical hobbies I may partake in (racquetball, basketball, softball) pale in comparison from a cost standpoint to golf.

For sure if looking at yearly cost .. but dropping 5.5k on my motorcycle 4 years ago or so, that about equates to the same I've spent on golf since then.

And cigars, but I haven't had a need to buy any in so long

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

golfinnut;n8883144 said:
Yeah hunting for me is a close 2nd behind fishing. The collection of guns seems to grow every year.

That's not a bad thing. It's been said that the number of guns you should have is always 1 more than you currently have.

Yes. I used to play music for rock/blues bands and record my own songs at home in a mini-home-studio. Multi-instrumental. THAT was more expensive than golf! I never made nearly enough $ at gigs to recoup instrument costs. At one time I had way too many hobbies... golf, music, wood-working, knife/tool sharpening... the cumulative $$$$ of multiple hobbies was too much. So now it’s just work and golf. I did recoup all my investments for the sharpening tools by working gun&knife shows, so at least now I have a bunch of free tools I can use whenever. And I did sell some woodwork too, but just a few pieces (amp and speaker cabs for guitar). And occasionally I win a few bets playing golf, but I don’t play anywhere near enough money games to make it self-sustaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golf doesn’t take all my cash, but it easily is my most expensive hobby. It’s not even close.

Uh yeah, not even close, although I did pick up deer hunting about 11 years ago as something to do with my son since our days together in baseball, football, and basketball were drawing to an end. You can drop some coin on hunting, especially if you're buying for two, but we've had a blast doing it.

Definitely, skiing used to be neck-and-neck with golf but that's fallen off the past few years as I've stuck with the same pair of skis for the past 5 years and haven't put nearly the amount of days on skis as I've put on the golf course.

EnglishTurn;n8883206 said:
Not even close. I spend far more on deer hunting every year. Don't even want to think what i spend a year. It's all worth it getting to spend time with my son and the look on his face when he gets a deer.
99e5c3a4e24e18d9e2eb0876f5484e75.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Well placed shot, compound or crossbow?

Yes, but I gave up all my other hobbies.

golfinnut;n8884728 said:
Is marriage really a hobby? I don't call this :bicker: a hobby.

Debate is one of those clubs you can join in high school and even some colleges.... which some consider a hobby

It certainly has been the last few years. When I really get back in to woodworking I think that will change pretty quickly though.

Reactions: KEV
Stemmy66;n8885064 said:
Debate is one of those clubs you can join in high school and even some colleges.... which some consider a hobby

There is no debating in marriage :beat-up:

golfinnut;n8884740 said:
This for sure. I just had to replace the boards on my dock that were warped & coming apart. Also taking 1 of the 2 jet skis in for repair because my idiot brother decided to suck a rope into the impeller. Not to mention the new $25K motor for the boat a year ago. Salt water just eats away at everything! So yeah ... this definitely takes the cake over golf.

You have an idiot brother too, huh? I'm just wondering about who "I" actually was in the "I just had to replace the boards on my dock..." Do you even own any tools?

JohnSinVA;n8885123 said:
You have an idiot brother too, huh? I'm just wondering about who "I" actually was in the "I just had to replace the boards on my dock..." Do you even own any tools?

You shouldn’t talk about Thomas and Greg like that....

Nooooo...25+ years of acquiring musical equipment...order of magnitude difference...

JohnSinVA;n8885123 said:

Yes I do. To your chagrin, I CAN cut a straight line with a circular saw & screw in galvanized screws into boards. :act-up:

golfinnut;n8885279 said:
Yes I do. To your chagrin, I CAN cut a straight line with a circular saw & screw in galvanized screws into boards. :act-up:

Actually it's to my delight, because if you can do that, you can make your own planer boards. :cool:

JohnSinVA;n8885345 said:
Actually it's to my delight, because if you can do that, you can make your own planer boards. :cool:

See that's where you're wrong. I said straight lines .... not angles. :act-up:

Bowling is my most expensive hobby. Although, since I have been playing golf more regularly this summer and replacing some clubs in my set, it is starting to equalize a bit. But, bowling league season starts up in September so bowling will again be more expensive.

Back