Do you ever play your own ball like you are in a scramble?

Carolina Dundee

“More Established” please notice the quotes
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
shoulder
I regularly see post on here about course management to score lower but does anyone here ever do the opposite and play a round where they go for it on every shot?

I only get to play a few times a month which leads me to try shots that are low percentage but give you tremendous satisfaction for the 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 that you actually pull off. Anyone else here feel the same way?

Very rare for me anymore to do that, always generally results in a big #.

Golf is about having fun. The momentary fun I have hitting a low percentage shot is far outweighed by the fun I have when I actually put up a good number. I play conservatively almost always.

I have to have a terrible round going to try a shot like that. I'm not so great in a scramble, hardly ever pull off a shot when I have the great light. Almost always over swing.

If my round is awful I will sometimes do the scramble shot you play to get the ball safe and in the fairway, but also go for the glory shots to see how they work.

Wildcat4life;n8885136 said:
I have to have a terrible round going to try a shot like that. I'm not so great in a scramble, hardly ever pull off a shot when I have the great light. Almost always over swing.

I knew you were more of an alternate shot guy

In the sense that I pick it up and move it to a more preferred location? Maybe...:alien2:

In the sense that you described, typically I'll do this when I've strung together a few good holes and get overconfident in what I can do. Then I wind up in deep trouble, card a big number, and demolish any chance I may have had at posting a decent score. :banghead:

I always play it safe unless going for it takes my left miss in good shape. I have been laying up to 100 yards lately with good results.

I've wanted to many times but never have.

Every now and then...usually when I've run into slow play. That's when I stop trying to play conservatively on the par 4's and try to drive every green I can or put it under 100 yards, doesn't matter how tight the fairway...my level of give a f###s has usually disappeared at this point.

JohnSinVA;n8885184 said:
In the sense that I pick it up and move it to a more preferred location? Maybe...:alien2:

In the sense that you described, typically I'll do this when I've strung together a few good holes and get overconfident in what I can do. Then I wind up in deep trouble, card a big number, and demolish any chance I may have had at posting a decent score. :banghead:

This is a much better way to play than what I've been doing.

I know I'm in for it when I catch myself thinking "Hmm, what would Phil do?" big number here I come! :wtf:

I do this on occasion. I try to play with a selectively aggressive approach, but sometimes if I feel good or conditions are right, or I just want to switch it up a bit, I'll play a round where I go for everything. It's fun. Helps you learn what's possible and what isn't, where real trouble is and what you definitely want to avoid, etc. Helps me learn the course and my game better, and it's a fun challenge, so why not?

yes, and it wasn't as rewarding to put up big numbers as it was to pull off the hero shot 1 out of 100 times.

Yeah, all the time. I can't remember ever being proud of the result though.

Carolina Dundee;n8885108 said:
I regularly see post on here about course management to score lower but does anyone here ever do the opposite and play a round where they go for it on every shot?

I only get to play a few times a month which leads me to try shots that are low percentage but give you tremendous satisfaction for the 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 that you actually pull off. Anyone else here feel the same way?

I think I go for broke too often. Probably not a great strategy for scoring, but fun as well!

I am more of a go-for-it type of player. I feel like I have just about as a chance of screwing up when I am playing conservative vs. going for it.

Jeff Spicoli;n8885949 said:
I am more of a go-for-it type of player. I feel like I have just about as a chance of screwing up when I am playing conservative vs. going for it.

Exactly. I can hit my lay up OB just as easy as a Driver on any given tee shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carolina Dundee;n8886207 said:
Exactly. I can hit my lay up OB just as easy as a Driver on any given tee shot.

It’s a gift

Honest to goodness, most of the times I try to play the right or safe shot I end up in trouble. I tend to play better going for tougher shots. I think it’s mental.

I don’t go for broke on every shot, but I am definitely guilty of treating just about every tee shot as if I am playing in a scramble.

I have gone gone out in the late afternoon before and played two golf balls as a scramble with myself. That was fun. I would hit one ball as hard and far as I could and the other conservative. Then I picked the best shot and did the same thing until I got on the green. Just to see which treated me better

KY Golfer;n8886299 said:
Honest to goodness, most of the times I try to play the right or safe shot I end up in trouble. I tend to play better going for tougher shots. I think it’s mental.

Exactly. Commit to the shot and go for it.

aggiesam1983;n8886661 said:
No but I have played a two man scramble by myself. I’m pretty good when I get to choose between two shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Was there a noticeable difference between the first and second ball?

Back