Cable companies - Cutting the cord

Yeah, early Roku was terrible. It has improved quite a bit.

YouTubeTV is going up to $50/mo. starting 5/13. I'm currently at $35/mo. I think I'm going to cancel it now. I love the service, but not at $50/mo.

YouTubeTV is going up to $50/mo. starting 5/13. I'm currently at $35/mo. I think I'm going to cancel it now. I love the service, but not at $50/mo.
I think a bubble is about to burst as these companies turn from market penetration to trying to become profitable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not thrilled about the YT price change. Especially since I don't give a crap about any of the new channels they added.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have Magic stream TV on a Amazon firestick. $30mo gets 'everything'. I can connect the stick to other tv's and also have the app on my phone!!!, and can watch anything anywhere, yep watching golf or this weeks Masters playing golf...or on my boat is awesome!. Right now I can watch the Masters on 4 channels; CBS Sports, TSN, UK Sky Sports (full coverage no waiting for CBS), NBC & TGC. I am 6months with this and can fully recommend this service. All Premium ch, PPV, Movie, Sports adult n more. 600 ch!, This has a FCC license and not BS like kodi. It streams quicker than my Direct TV by 5sec!, so there is not buffering or latency. I do have a new comcast wireless router box and wire to the pole with the fastest DSL.
The difference is internet TV lacks a small bit of color or resolution (Panasonic Vera 1080p set), over Direct TV. I don't realy use Direct so much anymore.
PM me for the rep's digits and save $150mo!...Think of the new clubs you can buy;)

Last edited:
Well it looks like we will finally be ditching DirecTV at the beginning of May. They just lowered our bill down pretty good back in January, but then ran into a problem related to our 4k broadcast and the service I got with DirecTV was as bad as anything I have ever seen. I can't even list the comedy of errors that took place over 2 hours on the phone with them. In the end I just decided that kind of service isn't worth the hassle.

With that said, we are probably going to switch to Hulu Live with ad free, multiple screens and enhanced cloud DVR (and still pay less than DirecTV). From what I can tell most everyone seems to be pleased with Hulu. I considered YouTube TV as well, but I don't think that they have the Golf Channel and that is a must.

What is everyone else using and how have you liked it?

YouTube tv here, still liking it a lot. They do have GC and their DVR is pretty fantastic.

Well it looks like we will finally be ditching DirecTV at the beginning of May. They just lowered our bill down pretty good back in January, but then ran into a problem related to our 4k broadcast and the service I got with DirecTV was as bad as anything I have ever seen. I can't even list the comedy of errors that took place over 2 hours on the phone with them. In the end I just decided that kind of service isn't worth the hassle.

With that said, we are probably going to switch to Hulu Live with ad free, multiple screens and enhanced cloud DVR (and still pay less than DirecTV). From what I can tell most everyone seems to be pleased with Hulu. I considered YouTube TV as well, but I don't think that they have the Golf Channel and that is a must.

What is everyone else using and how have you liked it?

I’m running DTV Now and Netflix as primary options. We get all I need and suplemento viewing with Prime Video.

I’m running DTV Now and Netflix as primary options. We get all I need and suplemento viewing with Prime Video.
I can't go with DirecTV now...DirecTV has just left me with an awful opinion of the entire company. We do have Netflix and Amazon Prime, but there are certain things we want on live TV. Mainly college football, baseball as well as golf.

YouTube tv here, still liking it a lot. They do have GC and their DVR is pretty fantastic.

I just saw that they have GC. I must have been looking at an old line up before.

I just saw that they have GC. I must have been looking at an old line up before.

They just added or are about to add the Discovery network stuff too.

What internet speeds do you guys have for streaming? There's only one ISP at my new place, notorious for screwing over clients and jacking up rates, their internet only prices got from $30/mo for 60 Mbps and then next cheapest is $75 for 450 Mbps.. the 100 or 150 is more than that 450

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What internet speeds do you guys have for streaming? There's only one ISP at my new place, notorious for screwing over clients and jacking up rates, their internet only prices got from $30/mo for 60 Mbps and then next cheapest is $75 for 450 Mbps.. the 100 or 150 is more than that 450

I think 60mb would be plenty. That's what we had a few years back when we started streaming. We're up to 150mb now, but it's for different reasons.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I got rid of my cable and phone last December. I was paying $245 / month (no premium channels). Now I use a firestick and have Hulu (for live TV $55/mo) I have Showtime and HBO Now ($27 / mo) Total cost per month is $140. Saving $105 per month which is $1,260 per year. I might apply the savings for a trip to Bandon Dunes!

I can't go with DirecTV now...DirecTV has just left me with an awful opinion of the entire company. We do have Netflix and Amazon Prime, but there are certain things we want on live TV. Mainly college football, baseball as well as golf.

It makes sense and I understand. I’ve not had the issues with DTV Now as others or it just doesn’t bug me as much. I can count on one hand when I’ve wanted to watch something and there was an issue with the feed.

I have gigabit internet

I have 150mbps I believe

Thanks for the great inputs in this thread. I've been close to cutting the cable for a while and it's going to happen after Games of Thrones is over. I have Comcast and they've offer reasonable internet and cable packages, if you visit one of their satellite stores. Problem is the 'deal' expires after a year which leads to another visit. I'm tired of the dance so leaning toward internet from Comcast plus Hulu to go with my Prime and Netflix accounts. Good news is I can submit the Comcast internet bill to work since I have a home office.

I’ve finally got my family on board with cutting cable and learned that now Xfinity has incorporated data limits to 1 TB a month (at least in my area). It’s another $50 a month to have unlimited data regardless of what speed/plan you go for.

So Xfinity is going to make sure they get as much out of me as possible. I have unlimited data on my cell phone plan, so I guess I won’t be using home WiFi for my cell phones.

Any tips or tricks to get Firestick to run smoothly? Or is it just a glitchy deal altogether?

I’ve finally got my family on board with cutting cable and learned that now Xfinity has incorporated data limits to 1 TB a month (at least in my area). It’s another $50 a month to have unlimited data regardless of what speed/plan you go for.

So Xfinity is going to make sure they get as much out of me as possible. I have unlimited data on my cell phone plan, so I guess I won’t be using home WiFi for my cell phones.
This has been my concern since we typically use ~300GBs already. If I'm streaming EVERYTHING then 1TB doesn't seem like it would be enough.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

Cable companies - Cutting the cord

Any tips or tricks to get Firestick to run smoothly? Or is it just a glitchy deal altogether?

How far is it from your router? How fast is your internet?

I have both Fire Sticks and the Fire TV box and both work great. I have a mesh Wifi network and as long as my internet is running it’s not a problem. My first gen fire stick is slloooowww but still works. The rest are fine.

Last edited:
How far is it from your router? How fast is your internet?

I have both Fire Sticks and the Fire TV box and both work great. I have a mesh Wifi network and as long as my internet is running it’s not a problem. My first gen fire stick is slloooowww but still works. The rest are fine.

Router is in the room over. I'm going to have to figure out how fast my Internet is - I'm not entirely sure about that.

Router is in the room over. I'm going to have to figure out how fast my Internet is - I'm not entirely sure about that.

You can test your speed at Speedtest.net

The older firesticks were pretty slow, fire TV boxes were much better. The new ones work very well for me.

I'm hesitant to pull the trigger at this moment because I'm grandfathered into an anctual good plan with every channel I want but DirecTV Now has to be the worst from a service perspective. I've spent the last month without 2 of the 4 major networks available to be due to contract disputed. I'm still missing NBC while they fight with Nexstar. It was announced 2 full days ago that an agreement was reached with CBS to restore service to the CBS channels and I still don't have my local CBS affiliate back yet. It probably took them 30 seconds to apply code to the service to remove the channels but taking more than 2 days to bring it back is completely unacceptable.

Back