The Travel Thread

Foreum

Reaction score
I couldn't find one specific to non-golf travel.

Where are you planning to travel next?

We are currently figuring out when to go to Iceland. Looking to spend 7-10 days traveling around the island. Has anyone been in mid to late March? Any suggestions welcome.

We are getting ready to travel back to KC after a week in the Bay Area.

Have only had a short layover in Iceland three times, and none of which allowed me to leave the airport in Keflavik. Would love to stay some time and see the place.

Just returned from San Diego last week, but unfortunately, we were both recovering from the flu and the weather was pretty crappy, so we spent most of the time in the hotel watching Netflix. We're in SD about once a year, so, it's not like we missed out on our only opportunity to see the place. Was still nice to get away.

Next up for us is a Disney cruise during the kids' Spring Break next month. Just a 4 day Bahamian cruise.

Trying to get back over to Prague either this summer or next, for sure.

I'm heading up to Lake Tahoe for a boys ski weekend today. The forecast is for 3 feet of snow the next couple days so it should be fun.

For our sping break we are going the cheap route this year and heading to our condo in Florida for a week.

THP Event in two weeks.

I have access to the company planes now for business use (Eclipse 500) so next week i am taking my Program Manager and another Program Manager from our portable storage group for the week and this is our planned route, including my first trip to Canada.

eZk9Hqd.png

Flying to Naples in the morning to meet up with my wife, quick turn back to Dallas Tuesday afternoon.

Not sure where this topic should go so I'll throw it in here. Real question.

I stay primarily at Marriott or Hilton properties and maintain a pretty significant status with each (Platinum, Diamond) due to just how much I travel. Most of the hotels in staying in have a Gold or above status lounge that provides 24hr beverage, snack, breakfast, heavy Hors d'oeuvre before dinner, alcohol for purchase etc. Now, this lounge is reserved for those with that status and ONE guest.

I'm not sure how to feel when it is primarily for business driven usage a family of 6 walks in. (Two adults and 4 kids under the age of 13) They completely demolish whatever food there was, empty out the fridge of drinks and then ask for more to take with them for the day.....i get it. Kids are expensive and any way to cut corners is the best way for sure. But, on a Tuesday morning at 8am....? Just seems a bit over the top and too much....

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

I guess if it isn't being monitored than have at it....but I think it should be a little more closely monitored no?

Not sure where this topic should go so I'll throw it in here. Real question.

I stay primarily at Marriott or Hilton properties and maintain a pretty significant status with each (Platinum, Diamond) due to just how much I travel. Most of the hotels in staying in have a Gold or above status lounge that provides 24hr beverage, snack, breakfast, heavy Hors d'oeuvre before dinner, alcohol for purchase etc. Now, this lounge is reserved for those with that status and ONE guest.

I'm not sure how to feel when it is primarily for business driven usage a family of 6 walks in. (Two adults and 4 kids under the age of 13) They completely demolish whatever food there was, empty out the fridge of drinks and then ask for more to take with them for the day.....i get it. Kids are expensive and any way to cut corners is the best way for sure. But, on a Tuesday morning at 8am....? Just seems a bit over the top and too much....

Hah yeah that would tick me off. It’s not like you have a lot of dead time in the morning on a business trip. The whole concept is about expediency.

Isn’t there someone at the door to the lounge checking people in? Or are your lounges typically opened by hotel keys with additional privileges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hah yeah that would tick me off. It’s not like you have a lot of dead time in the morning on a business trip. The whole concept is about expediency.

Isn’t there someone at the door to the lounge checking people in? Or are your lounges typically opened by hotel keys with additional privileges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well hat just depends on the specific hotel whether or not they have an attendant or not.

Seems as though Southwest has had a tough run in the PR department the last 2-3 months

I'm heading to the Bay Area in 3 weeks to play in a Member-Guest tournament.

We are heading to Menorca in a couple weeks time for a break from the stresses we have had recently and a week of doing absolutely nothing apart from lying on a beach or by the hotel pool

Even better is it is an all-inclusive week away so no need for any spending money, and the hotel only has about 100 rooms with its own private beach so it should be relatively quiet as well

We are heading to Menorca in a couple weeks time for a break from the stresses we have had recently and a week of doing absolutely nothing apart from lying on a beach or by the hotel pool

Even better is it is an all-inclusive week away so no need for any spending money, and the hotel only has about 100 rooms with its own private beach so it should be relatively quiet as well

Niiiice. Have heard good things about Menorca. We'll be in Turks & Caicos next week. Have been ready for that for awhile.

Side note, will be in the UK in Sept. Flying in to EDI on Aug 31st, a day in the St Andrews area, then down to Dover for a cruise around the UK, then back to EDI for 4 days driving around Scotland. Can't wait.

Niiiice. Have heard good things about Menorca. We'll be in Turks & Caicos next week. Have been ready for that for awhile.

Side note, will be in the UK in Sept. Flying in to EDI on Aug 31st, a day in the St Andrews area, then down to Dover for a cruise around the UK, then back to EDI for 4 days driving around Scotland. Can't wait.

I have never been to Menorca but my parents and sister have both been years ago and from what they remember it is relatively quiet compared to the likes of Majorca

Never been to Turks, but in the future a Sandals trip might be on the cards so that we can compare it to our 'usual' spot in Jamaica

I hope the weather holds up for you when you are in the UK, we have been lucky in the past with good weather at that time of year
Are you going to be driving all the time you are over here?

From Edinburgh airport to the St Andrews area it is around 75-90mins driving time depending on traffic, but from St Andrews down to Dover is 550 miles and will be a very long day (9hrs+ according to Google maps)
Although the route it takes isn't the one I would take, as I would have expected it to take you within a few miles of our door down the east coast, but it is heading down the west coast before cutting across country towards Dover

I have never been to Menorca but my parents and sister have both been years ago and from what they remember it is relatively quiet compared to the likes of Majorca

Never been to Turks, but in the future a Sandals trip might be on the cards so that we can compare it to our 'usual' spot in Jamaica

I hope the weather holds up for you when you are in the UK, we have been lucky in the past with good weather at that time of year
Are you going to be driving all the time you are over here?

From Edinburgh airport to the St Andrews area it is around 75-90mins driving time depending on traffic, but from St Andrews down to Dover is 550 miles and will be a very long day (9hrs+ according to Google maps)
Although the route it takes isn't the one I would take, as I would have expected it to take you within a few miles of our door down the east coast, but it is heading down the west coast before cutting across country towards Dover

We honeymooned at Sandals in Antigua, and loved the place. The island...eh, but the resort is top notch.

We'll have a car all of the time in Scotland. Will be taking the train from Edinburgh down to Dover. Then when we get off the ship, train to Gatwick and flying to Inverness to start the four day drive that will end up back in Edinburgh (I forgot about this twist earlier in the thread). I didn't want to deal with full-day drives over there, so letting the conductor do most of the "driving". ;)

We honeymooned at Sandals in Antigua, and loved the place. The island...eh, but the resort is top notch.

We'll have a car all of the time in Scotland. Will be taking the train from Edinburgh down to Dover. Then when we get off the ship, train to Gatwick and flying to Inverness to start the four day drive that will end up back in Edinburgh (I forgot about this twist earlier in the thread). I didn't want to deal with full-day drives over there, so letting the conductor do most of the "driving". ;)

Some friends of ours are actually in Antigua at the moment, and annoying me by sending nice pictures of their view on the beach whilst I am sat in the office here at work!

Good choice on the train and flights :thumbs-up:
The train will actually pass less than half a mile from our house (not that we can see it though)

then down to Dover for a cruise around the UK,

My advice, spend as little time as possible in Dover.

#FiberLaunch

My advice, spend as little time as possible in Dover.

#FiberLaunch

We'll only be in Dover the night before the cruise, then hit the train station to head north as soon as we're off the boat.

My oldest kid graduated from college a couple of weeks ago and we took off the next day to Europe. Used the 8 hour layover in London to explore quickly then on to Italy. We loved Florence/Tuscany. So much history, food and beauty. After several days we dropped down to Rome to see the Pope. Awesome experience. Then down to Positano, Sorrento and Capri. Lovely towns. Incredible views. The people were so nice and warm. My familia and I had a great time.

Some credit cards come with perks you don’t think you will use. My Hilton Amex card comes with Priority Pass. One of the perks with that is use at Minute Suites.

Talk about a nice way to unwind in private. The first hour is totally free with Priority Pass.

4b1847f2ce0885174214076e9ef383f3.heic

8da87d614b659dbc16fdda44d86ea1f1.heic

765365faf0dcb0b38f640461a4f8e20d.heic

We have a busy couple travel weeeks ahead after my daughter gets out of school today. Saturday morning we hop on a plane for Minneapolis and end our 20 year stay in California. Sunday we head to our new lake home near Brainerd, MN where the builder officially hands us the keys. We have a dock and a couple boat lifts to get in the water on Monday. Thursday we are taking a 10 day family vacation with time in Barcelona and a 7 night cruise up the coast of Italy. I look forward to spending lots of family time with all 5 of us together again for the summer.

Back