2018-2019 College Basketball Season

Dan Wetzel has a thread that says assistants at Creighton and TCU were paid bribes by Christian Dawkins.

A few more things:

1) I don't doubt for one second LSU is paying players.
2) I doubt I will meet a single LSU fan who cares.
3) Every program pays its players.
4) I don't care about that, either.
5) It's called a bagman, Will Wade. That's just lazy.

I hope he plays the Us against the World card, and they make a Final Four run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't agree with #3. Payments are certainly rampant in some programs and most of them are considered blue bloods.

Eliminating One and Done would go a long way toward cleaning basketball up. Interested to see the if the G League becomes a realistic option for guys to make a living playing ball.

I don't agree with #3. Payments are certainly rampant in some programs and most of them are considered blue bloods.

Eliminating One and Done would go a long way toward cleaning basketball up. Interested to see the if the G League becomes a realistic option for guys to make a living playing ball.

If #3 was true Tennessee wouldn't suck as much as they did lol

If #3 was true Tennessee wouldn't suck as much as they did lol

I'm not throwing shade at your team via the internet but would have fun bantering the topic over a beer. After all, Bruce Pearl and Rick Barnes are integrity icons. Right? Why did Martin quit Tenn and go to Mizzou?

The corruption story appears to confirm that a big percentage of the top 50 recruits get paid and this has been going on for many years. Duke and Coach K want everyone to believe that night is day. They signed 3 of the top 5 players last year. Hmmm. Duke signed the #1 player for the last two or three years. Hmmm. I don't have the data but it wouldn't surprise me if the #1 player "selected" Duke 10 of the last 15 years. UNC, Kansas, Duke, UCLA, Oregon, USC, Arizona, Michigan St, Illinois, IU, Mississippi St, Auburn, LSU, Syracuse, Louisville, UK, Creighton, Xavier, TCU, Baylor, Houston, etc. The suspect list is long which is why the NCAA won't do a thing. These schools (and the NCAA) make a lot of money and their labor expenses are minimal. Sprinkling $100-$125K to a few players every year is chump change.

Dan Wetzel has a thread that says assistants at Creighton and TCU were paid bribes by Christian Dawkins.

I had no idea Creighton was in Nebraska. That's fun.

I'm not throwing shade at your team via the internet but would have fun bantering the topic over a beer. After all, Bruce Pearl and Rick Barnes are integrity icons. Right? Why did Martin quit Tenn and go to Mizzou?

The corruption story appears to confirm that a big percentage of the top 50 recruits get paid and this has been going on for many years. Duke and Coach K want everyone to believe that night is day. They signed 3 of the top 5 players last year. Hmmm. Duke signed the #1 player for the last two or three years. Hmmm. I don't have the data but it wouldn't surprise me if the #1 player "selected" Duke 10 of the last 15 years. UNC, Kansas, Duke, UCLA, Oregon, USC, Arizona, Michigan St, Illinois, IU, Mississippi St, Auburn, LSU, Syracuse, Louisville, UK, Creighton, Xavier, TCU, Baylor, Houston, etc. The suspect list is long which is why the NCAA won't do a thing. These schools (and the NCAA) make a lot of money and their labor expenses are minimal. Sprinkling $100-$125K to a few players every year is chump change.

I miss Bruce tbh he was a ton of fun and I even bought an orange blazer because of him. Barnes is incredible (my parents actually had dinner with him and he is even more of a stand up guy in person). Martin was right to leave UT. The fans treated him horribly. I was not a fan of his but he didn't deserve the crap they threw his way. I didn't go to UT but I should have because of my dad's ties to the school. I get to follow things pretty closely though which is a lot of fun. I passed on going to the Gonzaga game and meeting Barnes though which was definitely a bad decision.

The NBA changing the rules is going to make NCAA BBall a lot of fun again.

Or Lexington Blue.

Rock
Go Big Orange

Cmon now. UK got the death penalty over $2,000. A whole lot less than today. And you know everyone is on the prowl to catch Cal in anything. No way you can compare UK to what UNC got away with. Everyone is doing something, even your Vols. Like it or not.

OVC Semis tonight are going to be fantastic:

(4) Austin Peay (13-5) vs (1) Belmont (16-2) -- Belmont won the only meeting this season.
(3) Jacksonville State (15-3) vs (2) Murray State (16-2) - JSU won the only meeting this season.

A-Sun Championship on Sunday looks good, too:

(2) Lipscomb (16-2) vs (1) Liberty (16-2) -- they split 2 regular season meetings, each winning on the road.

Or Lexington Blue.

Rock
Go Big Orange

Wow what did we do that we havent paid for many times over. In fact I still wonder about the Fed Ex envelope. Have you ever tried to open one of those things after its sealed. All of our mistakes were a long time ago.GBB

LSU should ride this season out imo. They're going to get hammered anyway. If you gotta be hung over best to also have the fun night of drinking to go with it.

Also let's be honest, 2 years of no postseason play is kind of normal in basketball at LSU so making a Final Four run would be worth it imo.

Didn’t see that coming so quickly tbh. Makes me think there is a lot more about to come out.

The school is in protection mode now.

I give LSU credit for moving on this quickly. I love sports but the diginity of the school is far more important.

CYA time for LSU.

I think the only way LSU could get away with not axing Wade is if the tape is somehow discredited. If the tape is him, not firing him is just saying "yeah, we pay kids, so what?".

I give LSU credit for moving on this quickly. I love sports but the diginity of the school is far more important.

I’m pissed...
I would have pulled an Auburn and went All-In.

LSU should ride this season out imo. They're going to get hammered anyway. If you gotta be hung over best to also have the fun night of drinking to go with it.

Also let's be honest, 2 years of no postseason play is kind of normal in basketball at LSU so making a Final Four run would be worth it imo.

Agreed...

I think the only way LSU could get away with not axing Wade is if the tape is somehow discredited. If the tape is him, not firing him is just saying "yeah, we pay kids, so what?".

Funny what happens when you start beating Kentucky in basketball... lol

Take Will Wade's name out of this and add anyone elses. It would still be wrong. LSU beat Kentucky and deserved the win on the court. Its a great school but whether its LSU,UK,UT,UNC,,,,,You can't cheat.

Depends on the definition of the word “offer”...
At most you can say we attempted to pay a player, not that we actually paid the player...

It’s Cam Newton all over again, you can prove that his Dad asked for the money, never could prove that his Dad actually got paid...

Take Will Wade's name out of this and add anyone elses. It would still be wrong. LSU beat Kentucky and deserved the win on the court. Its a great school but whether its LSU,UK,UT,UNC,,,,,You can't cheat.

Trust me every one cheats... Wade’s issue is that he should have had a bag man ...

Depends on the definition of the word “offer”...
At most you can say we attempted to pay a player, not that we actually paid the player...

It’s Cam Newton all over again, you can prove that his Dad asked for the money, never could prove that his Dad actually got paid...

His dad (a third party) talked to third party rep of another school. Big difference between that and Chizik getting caught discussing the offer he made to him. Not saying either instance is worse, just that Wade can't skate on this.

Trust me every one cheats... Wade’s issue is that he should have had a bag man ...

I don't disagree. I think thats true in basketball and football. Its a shame and demonstrates why schools shouldnt be minor legaue teams for the NBA. I know some kids didnt go to my school because they got a better offer elsewhere. It has soured my view on college sports. Of course I forget all of this when I see my guys playing well but the reality is as you describe it.

Trust me every one cheats...

I don't think so.

College sports is the means of using a small group of kids for profit while the student body pays through the nose and adults obsess over the results to the extent of issuing death threats on players and staff, killing symbolic trees...........

Bowls game are an example. Win 6 games, go to a bowl game even after firing the coach.

Sorry buddy but I have to disagree. I'm a semi old-fart but knew some of the basketball players during my time at Purdue. I'm 99.9% sure they didn't (and don't) cheat. If they did, then maybe they'd make it to a Final Four! It's impossible for a school to monitor every piece of mail and handshake. My roommate was a wrester and he received $100 in a Christmas card from someone he didn't know. He wasn't sure what to do with the money...we convinced him to buy a keg. :D

My manager played D1 football for BC and was heavily recruited by Michigan, ND, Penn State and Miami. He played in the Jimmy Johnson years. He said Miami was the only questionable program. Vinny Testestaverde took him to the bars during his recruiting visit. Vinny pulled out a roll of bills and said; here's our budget for the night.

Wade got caught but I don't think it's fair to say everyone cheats. I completely agree that many programs are cheating in football and basketball.

P.S. Sean Miller at Arizona has to be next.

Back