2018-2019 College Basketball Season

Sorry buddy but I have to disagree. I'm a semi old-fart but knew some of the basketball players during my time at Purdue. I'm 99.9% sure they didn't (and don't) cheat. If they did, then maybe they make it to a Final Four. It's impossible for a school to monitor every piece of mail and handshake. My roommate was a wrester and he received $100 in a Christmas card from someone he didn't know. He wasn't sure what to do with the money...we convinced him to buy a keg. :D

My manager played D1 football at BC and was heavily recruited by Michigan, ND, Penn State and Miami. He played in the Jimmy Johnson years. He said Miami was the only questionable program. Vinny Testestaverde took him to the bars during his recruiting visit. Vinny pulled out a roll of bills and said; here's our budget for the night.

Wade got caught but I don't think it's fair to say everyone cheats. I completely agree that many programs are cheating in football and basketball.

P.S. Sean Miller at Arizona has to be next.

I had a buddy pretty involved in a big time program. He said alot of money gets exchanged in football, and much more in basketball. He said there wasn't a big time program in basketball that didn't have players who were payed, not necessarily from the school but a bag man from Nike or Adidas.

Sorry buddy but I have to disagree. I'm a semi old-fart but knew some of the basketball players during my time at Purdue. I'm 99.9% sure they didn't (and don't) cheat. If they did, then maybe they'd make it to a Final Four! It's impossible for a school to monitor every piece of mail and handshake. My roommate was a wrester and he received $100 in a Christmas card from someone he didn't know. He wasn't sure what to do with the money...we convinced him to buy a keg. :D

My manager played D1 football for BC and was heavily recruited by Michigan, ND, Penn State and Miami. He played in the Jimmy Johnson years. He said Miami was the only questionable program. Vinny Testestaverde took him to the bars during his recruiting visit. Vinny pulled out a roll of bills and said; here's our budget for the night.

Wade got caught but I don't think it's fair to say everyone cheats. I completely agree that many programs are cheating in football and basketball.

P.S. Sean Miller at Arizona has to be next.

I played HS Football with several guys that signed D1 offers, and disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His dad (a third party) talked to third party rep of another school. Big difference between that and Chizik getting caught discussing the offer he made to him. Not saying either instance is worse, just that Wade can't skate on this.

Wade’s real mistake is that he should have had a bagman ... agreed.

These colleges are making money on these kids hand over fist. Is a scholarship really enough? Most aren't there for a degree anyway.

And even if they let the top guys go straight to the NBA, it will just be the next level that is targeted with benefits.

I'm not a huge fan of paying them, but what are other options? Let them sign with an agent, and get money that way? I don't know.

I had a buddy pretty involved in a big time program. He said alot of money gets exchanged in football, and much more in basketball. He said there wasn't a big time program in basketball that didn't have players who were payed, not necessarily from the school but a bag man from Nike or Adidas.

I follow the Big Ten closer than the other conferences but willing to bet Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan and Penn State run clean programs. All of these schools are sponsored by Nike, Adidas, or UA.

The bag man is usually connected to the AAU program and/or shoe company. In my humble opinion, the easiest what to find suspicious programs is take a look at where the top 50 recruits go. Then see what program signs multiple kids. That's a big smoke signal. You'll also see a big connection between top AAU programs and select schools. Many of the kids in these AAU programs get paid for years before they even go to college.

One other tidbit...this money is all under the table which means they're not paying taxes. That's a significant legal issue that goes beyond the ethics of college sports.

These colleges are making money on these kids hand over fist. Is a scholarship really enough? Most aren't there for a degree anyway.

And even if they let the top guys go straight to the NBA, it will just be the next level that is targeted with benefits.

I'm not a huge fan of paying them, but what are other options? Let them sign with an agent, and get money that way? I don't know.

If a student isn't interested in earning a degree then why go to college? Pretty sure college baseball doesn't have this issue.

I played HS Football with several guys that signed D1 offers, and disagree.

Can you expand on that? Who paid the players? One time handshake or scheduled payments? Did the money go to the player or a parent? SEC, Big 12, Big Ten, ACC, Pac 12? Honestly, I'm curious to learn how it works in football.

If a student isn't interested in earning a degree then why go to college? Pretty sure college baseball doesn't have this issue.

No disagreement here. College baseball also has the go pro or stay 3 years as well. Players also know they are going to be in the minors to start also. Big

difference in College Basketball. None of the top recruits are in college for a degree. They are there for the one year they have to be. I'm all for letting them go

out of high school, its their choice. If they fail, so be it. If you choose school, you are there at least a couple years but even then does that change the mentality

of getting a degree?

Its a real shame this is what college athletics has become. As a UK fan, I wasn't really happy when UK hired Cal, but like JDax, I'm gonna ride the wave until

I fall off the surf board. I would also like to think that since UK is missing out on the upper level guys now that they aren't being shady but that's unlikely.

No disagreement here. College baseball also has the go pro or stay 3 years as well. Players also know they are going to be in the minors to start also. Big

difference in College Basketball. None of the top recruits are in college for a degree. They are there for the one year they have to be. I'm all for letting them go

out of high school, its their choice. If they fail, so be it. If you choose school, you are there at least a couple years but even then does that change the mentality

of getting a degree?

100% agree. If some wonder kid is a top notch programmer in HS and a big tech company offers him/her a 6 figure salary right out of high school, then should some unaccountable agency force the kid to spend a year in an engineering program before accepting the job? Same goes for a rock band. Should they be forced to spend a year in school before signing a recording contract? Freedom is a big part of the solution.

I dont believe EVERYONE cheats. But I do think a lot of the schools that are traditional powers in basketball pay players. I dont think a kid is turning down 100K at Louisville to play at Duke for free for 8 months.(Just an example) Thats about how long a one and done is on the schools campus. These are kids in many cases where money has never been in their homes. I coached AAU basketball and know of kids who are not even one and done level get a lot of extras to go to certain schools.These were also kids who lived in terrible conditions and their parents worked several jobs. We are watching a tainted product where pros are playing with ameturs. And damn I love hoops.

damn I love hoops.

I'm with you. I loved college basketball. But I like it a little less every year. It to has become about money.

I'm with you. I loved college basketball. But I like it a little less every year. It to has become about money.

It has, but this time of year can't be beat!!!!! The conference tourneys and then the Madness, amazing basketball gets played, the buzzer beaters and all.

It has, but this time of year can't be beat!!!!! The conference tourneys and then the Madness, amazing basketball gets played, the buzzer beaters and all.

You are correct!!! The game I love, the politics not so much.

Can you expand on that? Who paid the players? One time handshake or scheduled payments? Did the money go to the player or a parent? SEC, Big 12, Big Ten, ACC, Pac 12? Honestly, I'm curious to learn how it works in football.

I’m not going to say any names (one ended up playing in the NFL, and is a well respected name).

But normally these types of negotiations are handled through “handlers” on the players side and “bagmen or boosters” on the university.

It’s not always cash, in some cases it’s jobs for a parent or other relatives at companies owned by high connected boosters. When I was finishing my degree at a Conference USA school, I had a job at a local car dealership, there were several players on the payroll of that dealership during the summer, that never worked an hour there but were drawing a pay check.

It’s naive to think that your school doesn’t “cheat” one way or another.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

This article is extremely accurate on how it’s done in College Football.

NCAA needs to go at these schools will u more vigilance. The wilfull ignorance claims and acting blind sided when this happens (I mean there were freaking wire taps maybe your own investigation) is just silly and an insult to all fans

bb3a55e78a7f5917c55fe0194208c837.jpg

We are still making the Final Four...

I’m not going to say any names (one ended up playing in the NFL, and is a well respected name).

But normally these types of negotiations are handled through “handlers” on the players side and “bagmen or boosters” on the university.

It’s not always cash, in some cases it’s jobs for a parent or other relatives at companies owned by high connected boosters. When I was finishing my degree at a Conference USA school, I had a job at a local car dealership, there were several players on the payroll of that dealership during the summer, that never worked an hour there but were drawing a pay check.

It’s naive to think that your school doesn’t “cheat” one way or another.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

This article is extremely accurate on how it’s done in College Football.

Thanks. I think the only place where we disagree is "everyone cheats". Another former manager played in the Big Ten and our company hired ~6 football players every summer. They received about 3x minimum wage and didn't have to do much. They moved inventory and helped maintenance with easy odds and ends. This might be a football perk but it wasn't cheating. The company issued 1099s, the university knew their wages (they helped place the players), the guys had to show up for work, and the company monitored their time card.

Thanks. I think the only place where we disagree is "everyone cheats". Another former manager played in the Big Ten and our company hired ~6 football players every summer. They received about 3x minimum wage and didn't have to do much. They moved inventory and helped maintenance with easy odds and ends. This might be a football perk but it wasn't cheating. The company issued 1099s, the university knew their wages (they helped place the players), the guys had to show up for work, and the company monitored their time card.

I’m sure the paper work was on the up and up...

Dan Dakich was doing a Purdue game last week and kept asking the question why top recruits don't come to Purdue with the atmosphere, success, and development of players (Ignoring the tourney, they are one of the top teams in the country over the last 5 years, despite the lack of a top recruit, maybe sans Swanigan). Not saying Purdue is for sure clean, but it's a fair question that makes you wonder...

7251dd6afd7e479e5736092739773303.jpg

This is a local Baton Rouge reporter...
#FreeWillWade

Eff you, Mark Gottfried.

And that makes it okay?

Most Power 5 schools have bagmen, I’m not on some sort of morality crusade against the current state of Football & Basketball recruiting in College sports.

Let the bagmen make the offers, be smart and make sure you have plausible deniability... Rinse & Repeat

Most Power 5 schools have bagmen, I’m not on some sort of morality crusade against the current state of Football & Basketball recruiting in College sports.

Let the bagmen make the offers, be smart and make sure you have plausible deniability... Rinse & Repeat

So much for college athletics then.

If true to be universal, I'd rather my school be a loser or pass altogether on major college sports.

Sorry, but as an educator I fight everyday against "well someone else did it" or "everyone else does it."

Nothing will change until we vote with our wallet, and in sports, that is our only voice.

Will Wade is a COMPLETE p.o.s. Arrogant prick. I hope my Alma mater/former employer tosses him out with the rest of the garbage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back