C

ChristianGolfer

Who here bowls? Do you have a ball and shoes or other equipment? I am looking to get into it. I am going to need a hobby for the winter months in KC. Where did you start?

I LOVE to bowl!! Have my own shoes (ewwwie wearing rentals) my own ball (8 pounds and pink/purple and has my name on it) and my own bag :) My average is about a 120.

Its a lot of fun, but unfortunately, in southern California, it can get expensive. Gosh, we haven't bowled since we started to golf. Going on over a year now!!

I used to be in a church league several years ago, it was fun!!

I LOVE to bowl!! Have my own shoes (ewwwie wearing rentals) my own ball (8 pounds and pink/purple and has my name on it) and my own bag :) My average is about a 120.

Its a lot of fun, but unfortunately, in southern California, it can get expensive. Gosh, we haven't bowled since we started to golf. Going on over a year now!!

GC, tell me where to get started. I hate rentals and the house ball.

You have to start with your own pair of shoes. Those rental shoes are nasty!! You can probably get an inexpensive bowling ball as well. There's a pro bowling place near where I live and he set me up with the set. It helped with 3 of us were buying it all at once. I was able to get the shoes, bag and ball for $110. They even have pro shops in bowling alleys, but they're expensive, see if there are any indy shops around that can get you fitted for a ball and everything.

I don't bowl much anymore, but I have my own bowling ball and shoes - from 19 years ago! My wife and I joined some other couples who loved to bowl during Monte Carlo bowling nights at an alley out in Whittier when lived in SoCal. We'd play every week. We bought cheapie bowling balls, bags and shoes from a KMart. I think we paid <$100 for all our equipment back then.

I bowl during the winter months as well. I have shoes and I use my dad's ball from the 70's (kinda funny how well it fits me). It is mostly as an excuse to gather and have a few beers on a Friday night since I think my average carries around 130.

If you have never bowled, I would suggest making sure you like it enough to buy the equipment...
If you like it, you can get some cheaper shoes at Walmart or Kmart..($20)

For the bowling ball, I would suggest heading to a PRO shop and getting fitted.... (just like golf)
you dont have to buy a brand new ball....Ask if they have either some closeouts or last years models or even some used ones.
For the used ones, they will plug and redrill the ball depending on the way you will throw it..(Conventional or finger tip)
i always tell people to get a thumb insert...for a small price, your thumb will thank you at the end of the season...

Even though I have not bowled in a couple of years, I still have 6 balls, 2 bags, and 2pr shoes with removable slides. I finished up the season 2 yrs ago with a 208 avg....
I am hoping to get back into it with the wife this winter....(yes...I like to bowl...what else you gonna do while drinking beer and eating pizza??) :act-up:

bama

LOL, I'm much better at bowling than I am at golf!! But with bowling, 3 games is my max at a time before my score seems to take a nosedive! Best all time ever score was 178, had a few turkeys, was AWESOME!!! Its not about how heavy your ball is, mine is only 8 pounds and is a little heavy for me, but I sure can knock them down :clapp:

I used to love bowling. I ended up doing it so much that I got bored of it. 5 leagues a week, sometimes twice a night and practicing when I wasn't bowling and then doing tournaments in between. I got burned out.

I walked away from the game accomplishing everything I wanted but shooting an 800 series. I had 8 300's, huge league averages, won tons of money locally and even cashed in a professional tournament. It was a lot of fun, I just got bored of it and started playing more golf and diving more.

Crucker300 was a touring pro and still owns a pro shop. I sent him the link to this thread to point you in the right direction. In fact I met him 15 years ago through bowling.

note to self: never bowl with chuck or biggsy, never shoot pool with duey, never drink with thanks, and never be in an enclosed area after oem kevin eats a snickers bar.

LOL, I'm much better at bowling than I am at golf!! But with bowling, 3 games is my max at a time before my score seems to take a nosedive! Best all time ever score was 178, had a few turkeys, was AWESOME!!! Its not about how heavy your ball is, mine is only 8 pounds and is a little heavy for me, but I sure can knock them down :clapp:

That's a pretty good score GC. My wife also has a 8# bowling ball - my boys and I tease her that she'd get more strikes if her ball weighed more than the pins. :laughing:

note to self: never bowl with chuck or biggsy, never shoot pool with duey, never drink with thanks, and never be in an enclosed area after oem kevin eats a snickers bar.

And you can just hang out with me then :D

And you can just hang out with me then :D

sounds good GC, although with an avg of 120 you'd be beating me all night long. i'm happy to break 100

I used to love bowling. I ended up doing it so much that I got bored of it. 5 leagues a week, sometimes twice a night and practicing when I wasn't bowling and then doing tournaments in between. I got burned out.

I walked away from the game accomplishing everything I wanted but shooting an 800 series. I had 8 300's, huge league averages, won tons of money locally and even cashed in a professional tournament. It was a lot of fun, I just got bored of it and started playing more golf and diving more.

Crucker300 was a touring pro and still owns a pro shop. I sent him the link to this thread to point you in the right direction. In fact I met him 15 years ago through bowling.

yeah, and you can hit the ball 300 yards too huh?

I am the consummate internet sportsman! :D

true that biggsy! when you guys told me you bowled, i was thinking big lebowski style, but you guys really did bowl.

sounds good GC, although with an avg of 120 you'd be beating me all night long. i'm happy to break 100

In the group I play with, we have an unofficial agreement that if someone doesn't break 100 they shave an eyebrow. So far only 1 guy has shaved an eyebrow, but there are a couple of others that didn't follow the agreement.

In the group I play with, we have an unofficial agreement that if someone doesn't break 100 they shave an eyebrow. So far only 1 guy has shaved an eyebrow, but there are a couple of others that didn't follow the agreement.

that's awesome!! we do something like that to the first guy who passes out. i once woke up with the letter "L" shaved in my chest.

LMAO I just got the funniest visual from that.....

that's awesome!! we do something like that to the first guy who passes out. i once woke up with the letter "L" shaved in my chest.

Who here bowls? Do you have a ball and shoes or other equipment? I am looking to get into it. I am going to need a hobby for the winter months in KC. Where did you start?

First off do not buy any bowling equipment from a department store or sporting goods store as neither of these have a trained professional to fit your hand and the shoes will have very little slide. Most reputable pro shops will have a "ball,bag, and shoe" package for around $110 including the fit and drilling of the ball. Just keep in mind that in a few months you will probably want to upgrade the ball. Anyway ask around the kc area and find a good pro shop and develop a relationship with that person and they will give you all the help you need. Welcome to another great sport and hope you enjoy it and I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

I am having a hard time finding a pro shop that is not in a bowling alley. When I lived in Alexandria there was on Duke Street.

I am having a hard time finding a pro shop that is not in a bowling alley. When I lived in Alexandria there was on Duke Street.
That's where you should go. The pro shop at your local bowling center should work great.

I bowled for 17 years and could never get my stinking average over 200. For the last 10 I finished between 196 and 199. Very frustrating. Never had a 300 either, but had 290 twice and 279 a half dozen times or so. I only had 700+ about five times. Bowling was fun, but man I did a lot drinking when I did it. Too much drinking.

Kevin

What are some good bowling sites to get me started?

Back