The Official 2019 MLB Thread

So Giants offered Harper 12 years and $310M

And dodgers offered 4 years and about $180M and only wanted to do short term deal.

And nats deal of $300M at end of season had so much deferred money it ran out into the year 2053 lol

So Giants offered Harper 12 years and $310M

And dodgers offered 4 years and about $180M and only wanted to do short term deal.

And nats deal of $300M at end of season had so much deferred money it ran out into the year 2053 lol

Read Boras told the Giants they need to beat the Phillies offer by 20 million due to the tax differences between states.

Bryce Harper's 330 million dollar contract

Bryce Harper's 330 million dollar contract

What do you think about Bryce Harper’s 13-year, $330 million dollar Phillies contract.

My son told me about it over lunch. He can now afford that Club Champion club fitting. :)

lots of chat about it in the 2019 MLB thread.

but I think they are overpaying for what they are getting, even if the potential dead money on the back end isnt awful

If he got what he wanted then good for him. IMO it is stupid money for a guy who doesn't have a that great of a batting average.

lots of chat about it in the 2019 MLB thread.

but I think they are overpaying for what they are getting, even if the potential dead money on the back end isnt awful

I don't get the 13 years. It is less than what I expected he would get per year, but obviously for a longer term.

It really makes me curious what the agents think is coming when the collective bargaining agreement has to be renegotiated. The owners have made it pretty clear they aren't going to go crazy and just keep upping the already really high salaries for these guys because they don't want to be paying big money for over the hill players. But the players will want something to happen on how long these young guys are under player control....

I thought harper would take a 5-7 year deal with an opt out after 3, but at much higher annual salary, but to go for the lower annual salary (crazy that $25/year is "lower") means that he wanted the guaranteed money over the long haul than having to do another deal under the next CBA. Or at least that is how I am interpreting it.

The player is overrated IMO and the Philles, or any team, were foolish to go more than 6 years. Throughout his career, he only performs at a superstar level every other year. Fortunately for the Phillies, 2019 is due to be a good year for him.

It makes sense that they got him... the other moves this offseason wouldn't have meant much if they didn't land Harper. I can see 100% why they paid what they did to get him.

I don't get the 13 years. It is less than what I expected he would get per year, but obviously for a longer term.

It really makes me curious what the agents think is coming when the collective bargaining agreement has to be renegotiated. The owners have made it pretty clear they aren't going to go crazy and just keep upping the already really high salaries for these guys because they don't want to be paying big money for over the hill players. But the players will want something to happen on how long these young guys are under player control....

I thought harper would take a 5-7 year deal with an opt out after 3, but at much higher annual salary, but to go for the lower annual salary (crazy that $25/year is "lower") means that he wanted the guaranteed money over the long haul than having to do another deal under the next CBA. Or at least that is how I am interpreting it.
I think the 13 years, plus the no trade clause gives Bryce a certain level of freedom. The contract is palatable to the Phillies but if things go south in say, 3-5 years (Bryce being productive) then he could really push for a trade to a contender like Stanton did. The Yankees were happy to take on about $24 million per for the remainder of Stanton and I could see some larger markets with deep farm systems agreeing to take on a chunk of the last 6-8 years of salary for a guy to get them over the hump in the short term. Bryce guaranteed himself a massive payday and the Phillies can rebuild if they dont make a run with him.

You're right that the new CBA is going to be interesting. I think revenue to payroll is going to be a big sticking point for the unions. The Yankees used to spend 50-70% of revenue on player payroll in the late 90's to late-2000's. Last year they were second to last at 26%. Obviously the luxury tax is having an effect, so I could see the tax going up alongside some kind of floor being established to force small market teams to spend money. Doubt the owners will stand for this without getting more player control over their draft picks. Not looking good for baseball in 2021.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I am surprised there are no player options to void the deal. Not really surprised at the #'s but the 13 years is such a LONG long time.
Dustin Pedroia looked like a good deal but now that he can't play I look at the last 4-5 years at 20+ million as a bad deal and he is signed thru 2023.

I doubt The Redsox are going to be able to keep Mookie because he will get more than Harper did after next year.

I think the 13 years, plus the no trade clause gives Bryce a certain level of freedom. The contract is palatable to the Phillies but if things go south in say, 3-5 years (Bryce being productive) then he could really push for a trade to a contender like Stanton did. The Yankees were happy to take on about $24 million per for the remainder of Stanton and I could see some larger markets with deep farm systems agreeing to take on a chunk of the last 6-8 years of salary for a guy to get them over the hump in the short term. Bryce guaranteed himself a massive payday and the Phillies can rebuild if they dont make a run with him.

You're right that the new CBA is going to be interesting. I think revenue to payroll is going to be a big sticking point for the unions. The Yankees used to spend 50-70% of revenue on player payroll in the late 90's to late-2000's. Last year they were second to last at 26%. Obviously the luxury tax is having an effect, so I could see the tax going up alongside some kind of floor being established to force small market teams to spend money. Doubt the owners will stand for this without getting more player control over their draft picks. Not looking good for baseball in 2021.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The no trade clause means he can control where he goes, but if they cannot work out a deal with one of those teams.... he is staying in Philly.

The opt out wold give him the chance of staying there if he wants or for sure leaving if he wants to.

Just seems to be the opposite of how a lot of these deals have gone.

The no trade clause means he can control where he goes, but if they cannot work out a deal with one of those teams.... he is staying in Philly.

The opt out wold give him the chance of staying there if he wants or for sure leaving if he wants to.

Just seems to be the opposite of how a lot of these deals have gone.
The linked article above explains that Harper really wanted to stay in one place, the length of the contract was the single most important thing to him. It is curious but if that's what mattered to him, he got it.

Some of the "perks" of Harper's contract

According to contract details obtained by The Associated Press, Harper would earn an extra $50,000 each time he is an All-Star, wins a Gold Glove or a Silver Slugger or is selected League Championship Series MVP. A World Series MVP trophy would be worth an additional $100,000.

He would get $500,000 if he is league MVP, $50,000 for finishing second in the voting and $25,000 for third.

Harper has been an All-Star in six of seven big league seasons and was a unanimous pick for the NL MVP award in 2015, the same year he earned his only Silver Slugger.

In addition, he gets a hotel suite on road trips and the right to purchase a suite for games at Citizens Bank Park.

According to contract details obtained by The Associated Press, Harper would earn an extra $50,000 each time he is an All-Star, wins a Gold Glove or a Silver Slugger or is selected League Championship Series MVP. A World Series MVP trophy would be worth an additional $100,000.

He would get $500,000 if he is league MVP, $50,000 for finishing second in the voting and $25,000 for third.

Harper has been an All-Star in six of seven big league seasons and was a unanimous pick for the NL MVP award in 2015, the same year he earned his only Silver Slugger.

In addition, he gets a hotel suite on road trips and the right to purchase a suite for games at Citizens Bank Park.

Living large

Red Sox knuckleballer Steven Wright suspended 80 games for testing positive for PEDs. Really? Will it help the ball knuckle more? haha Can't remember the last time he pitched meaningful innings as he has pretty much been injured the last 2 years so not a big loss. Apparently, there was some sort of banned HGH is something he was taking as part of rehab from his knee surgery last November.

The Official 2019 MLB Thread

I like that he worked in the contract a hotel suite on road trips. Good agent work there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hall of Famer Tom Seaver has been diagnosed with dementia and will retire from public life, his family said Thursday. He is 74.

Wow.

yeah read that this morning. Had a decent spring. Sounds like he might be an injury or two away from being a possibly replacement.

or another mets crappy season!

yeah read that this morning. Had a decent spring. Sounds like he might be an injury or two away from being a possibly replacement.

a shame he only had 15 AB's during spring

Everyone can calm down... 10 years ago, my Phillies won it all and with Harper on board, we got it again this year... Nothing like winning every 10 years... :)

Still desperately looking for a fantasy league to join if anybody has a spot!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back