The Official 2019 MLB Thread

Well, with Superbowl done, Opening Day is on deck!

I mean you are basically apart of Cleveland sports now, so time to get you on the Indians bandwagon

maybe Machado or Harper will finally sign by then

Pitchers and catchers are like next week right? Crazy so many guys still unsigned

Pitchers and catchers are like next week right? Crazy so many guys still unsigned

remember last year when it was the talk of being a one-time thing and people would be going crazy this winter?

remember last year when it was the talk of being a one-time thing and people would be going crazy this winter?

I had a feeling we would see this with these guys. I think both, and their agents, extremely overestimated their value in terms of years, primarily, and total value.

yup, some crazy numbers thrown out for Machado and Harper....only problem is no one is willing to pay them that.

I had a feeling we would see this with these guys. I think both, and their agents, extremely overestimated their value in terms of years, primarily, and total value.

yup, some crazy numbers thrown out for Machado and Harper....only problem is no one is willing to pay them that.

Don't forget Mr. Kimbrel out there too.

Yep. Now we can say there are systemic things at play. Probably so many teams use analytics and have the same values, which includes the Moneyball tenet of not getting tied into expensive long term deals. That means more teams are finally saying no to the ever bigger and bigger FA demands (10 year deal??). On top of that the very top guys haven’t signed and that sets the market each year. Without Harper and Machado signed the lesser guys are not going anywhere.

heck Keuchel still without a home.

I think I saw something like 5 or 6 of the top 20 still not signed

And he will be out there a long time if he is still holding out for a 6 year deal

Braves GM mentioned a few weeks ago that every year, once the super bowl is over, deals really start happening.

I’m thinking the braves are going to make one or possibly 2 big moves pretty soon. A starting pitcher has to be one of them if we want to compete for a World Series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tribe and Marlin's traded today.
Tribe picked up a reliever Wittgren whom I never heard of but had a sub 3 era last year and career 3.6 era.

Only surrendered a 27 year old pitcher who just got his first taste of AAA last year

Rockies and Arenado discussing long-term deal in the 8 - 10 year and $250M neighborhood.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Some interesting rules changes being discussed:

The two most notable changes that’ll jump out to readers are surely the Union’s proposal for a universal designated hitter — possibly beginning as soon as the 2019 season — and the league’s proposal that all pitchers must face a minimum of three hitters per appearance (barring an injury). Other especially notable concepts under discussion include expanding standard rosters to 26 players and shrinking September rosters to 28 players. Both were proposed by the league with an eye toward the 2020 season.

Like the 3 hitter rule. A lot.

Dislike the DH rule. That’s a fairly transparent attempt by the union to create more jobs for its members.

26/28 players...who cares?

Like the 3 hitter rule. A lot.

Dislike the DH rule. That’s a fairly transparent attempt by the union to create more jobs for its members.

26/28 players...who cares?

I don’t like the three batter thing at all. I get that the league is trying to shorten games, but the strategy involved in handling the bullpen is what makes good managers. And why not play matchups in the latter part of games? I fear this is the end of the LOOGY. Ha.

As for the DH rule, I guess I could care less. I’m a Mets fan, and the NL is what traditionalists refer to as old school baseball. And I still don’t think I care. The Mets had 7 prototypical “DHs” on the roster last year, so maybe I don’t see a difference? I do think there is strategy involved in double-switches, and managing the bullpen based upon when the pitcher is due to hit in the upcoming inning and whatnot, so in that regard, I kind of like not having a DH. Then again, who wants to see Jason Vargas stand there with the bat on his shoulder, watch three pitches, and stroll back to the dugout? Or Bartolo Colon flail at a curveball, fall down, and lose his helmet?

I don’t know what the current roster size is, but I would be in favor of increasing it for the regular season. There are too many injuries and whatnot throughout the season that make it seem like every game, teams are down to only one guy left on the bench (more times than not, the emergency catcher). And the 28 for September call-ups sounds like a compromise (increase for the regular season, giving AAA players more of an opportunity throughout the season; reduce the number of call-ups in September as those players are already on the expanded regular season roster).

Some interesting rules changes being discussed:

The two most notable changes that’ll jump out to readers are surely the Union’s proposal for a universal designated hitter — possibly beginning as soon as the 2019 season — and the league’s proposal that all pitchers must face a minimum of three hitters per appearance (barring an injury). Other especially notable concepts under discussion include expanding standard rosters to 26 players and shrinking September rosters to 28 players. Both were proposed by the league with an eye toward the 2020 season.

Always been in favor of DH in both leagues and i'm good with having an extra bench.

Always been in favor of DH in both leagues and i'm good with having an extra bench.

just seems crazy that they are talking about it for the 2019 season, if they do want to do that they need to give it a full year so teams can plan accordingly. Look at a guy like Nelson Cruz, the market for him was only half as large cause there wasnt a DH in the NL so there needs to be some schedule in place especially for free agency before it goes live.

just seems crazy that they are talking about it for the 2019 season, if they do want to do that they need to give it a full year so teams can plan accordingly. Look at a guy like Nelson Cruz, the market for him was only half as large cause there wasn't a DH in the NL so there needs to be some schedule in place especially for free agency before it goes live.

I agree with that

Rosters are 25 for the regular season.

Teams get to add one person if they are playing a day night doubleheader.

On Sept 1, teams can bring up anyone on their 40 man roster.

Re the 3 pitcher rule, games are SO long, it’s painful. I’m a die hard baseball fan and I have a hard time watching a full game anymore. I like the idea pitchers have to be skilled enough to get RH and LH batters out.

Re the DL, I grew up NL but love in an AL territory now so I’ve gotten more used to it. This wouldn’t be the end of the world, just not my preference- I like the strategy of having the P hit

Rosters are 25 for the regular season. Re the DL, I grew up NL but love in an AL territory now so I’ve gotten more used to it. This wouldn’t be the end of the world, just not my preference- I like the strategy of having the P hit

You mean whether or not to lay down a bunt or watch three strikes go by?

Rosters are 25 for the regular season.

Teams get to add one person if they are playing a day night doubleheader.

On Sept 1, teams can bring up anyone on their 40 man roster.

Re the 3 pitcher rule, games are SO long, it’s painful. I’m a die hard baseball fan and I have a hard time watching a full game anymore. I like the idea pitchers have to be skilled enough to get RH and LH batters out.

Re the DL, I grew up NL but love in an AL territory now so I’ve gotten more used to it. This wouldn’t be the end of the world, just not my preference- I like the strategy of having the P hit

I didn’t realize the increase was from 25 to 26. Now I agree with your original thought, who cares? And why limit the September call-ups at all? For a team like the Mets, seeing what we may have in the pipeline is the highlight of our season!

Back