• Golf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Boxing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I didn't say it wasn't relevant.

Some people have referenced fitness tests for supporting their answer. Just wondering if that defines athleticism for them as the original question was in regards best athletes, not just fittest athletes.

I guess my definition of athleticism would be an "effective combination of tempo, rhythm and coordination"

I go with the basketball players AND soccer players. They are running ALL the time. Plus, being SO big in basketball to be SO athletic!

I personally think it’s NBA basketball players, if we are talking sheer athleticism, including a combination of quickness, hand-eye coordination, endurance, and explosiveness. It’s tough to compare, though, because hitting a major league pitcher is about as difficult as any athletic endeavor. Playing cornerback in the NFL requires supreme athleticism. Boxing requires unique attributes. It goes on.

DG_1234;n8562978 said:
I guess my definition of athleticism would be an "effective combination of tempo, rhythm and coordination"

Going by your definition I would put open water/distance swimmers at the top of the list. My daughter swam competitively since she was 5 and at 9 years old her shortest event was the 400 IM. At 25 years old just this past weekend she casually says
"Going for a swim" and swims the 1 1/2 miles across the cove and back nonstop. Having played soccer and raced downhill skiing all thru high school growing up in Vermont I know I could never think about doing what she does from a endurance standpoint.

Endurance is different than athleticism.

Darts ...... for sure Darts ......... said no one ever

Hockey I would have to say. I've played a lot of sports (including Darts LOL) and by far and away Hockey is the most taxing sport I have ever played. Not only do you require endurance, strength, balance/coordination you have to have grit and fortitude. The balance of skill and ability needed to play it well is at another level. Soccer I would put second, but strength and grit just don't come into play IMO (and yes I played Soccer as well).

First in with Olympic decathlete? Surprised. Sprints and distance. Throwing, pushing. jumping.

I'm Canadian, so have a soft spot for hockey here and there. Speed, strength, agility with coordination, all required to play well - but then that describes a bunch of sports. The sheer speed of the pro game has move up a BIG notch in 2-3 years. It wouldn't surprise me to learn (I am NOT stating a fact) that the average WEIGHT of an NHL player has declined in the same time frame, and I would extrapolate that to muscle mass/pure power also declining some, but as noted speed and agility are UP.

I watched NBA most of the Raptors season, and was surprised how fast the game is compared to what I used to watch. There are some beastly athletes playing in the NBA today (and always, but MAN!)

Back