The Official 2019 - 2020 NHL and Everything Hockey Thread

The problem with the Leafs is that they have 3 defense prospects with the potential to be Top 4 guys. However, they're not ready this year or even next, which essentially is when the Leafs window is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with the Leafs is that they have 3 defense prospects with the potential to be Top 4 guys. However, they're not ready this year or even next, which essentially is when the Leafs window is.

Ideally their window is at least 5 years (until Matthews goes to Phoenix...if they’re still there). Idk just how far away Sandin and Liljegren are. With current D Corp plus injuries they should get a decent look with the big club. I don’t think either sticks around all year, but the 20/21 season I bet both are on the team in regular roles. Liljegren likely in top 4 role right away just bc Reilly and Dermott are ahead of Sandin. My ideal D Corp is:
Gardiner - Reilly
Dermott - new player
Sandin - Liljegren
Rosen - Holl
Switching around those bottom 4 regularly.

Ideally their window is at least 5 years (until Matthews goes to Phoenix...if they’re still there). Idk just how far away Sandin and Liljegren are. With current D Corp plus injuries they should get a decent look with the big club. I don’t think either sticks around all year, but the 20/21 season I bet both are on the team in regular roles. Liljegren likely in top 4 role right away just bc Reilly and Dermott are ahead of Sandin. My ideal D Corp is:
Gardiner - Reilly
Dermott - new player
Sandin - Liljegren
Rosen - Holl
Switching around those bottom 4 regularly.

Where does the money for Gardiner come from?

Also Andersen only has 2 years remaining on his deal and Reilly has 3?

100% agree. If they kept half of it maybe.

Straight up for Doughty? Or maybe to Carolina for Pesce or Hamilton plus plus? Or, and as I’m an Oiler fan I’d love this one... to Edmonton for Larsson, Puljujarvi and 2 firsts?

if the Oilers are willing to pay that much, why not just send an offer sheet?

Where does the money for Gardiner come from?

Also Andersen only has 2 years remaining on his deal and Reilly has 3?

If can trade Zaitzev and maybe Brown they have plenty of space.

Chances are getting rid of Zaitzev is going to require taking back just of large of a contract.

if the Oilers are willing to pay that much, why not just send an offer sheet?

They could. But this way they could put conditions on the picks so not top 5 maybe. Puljujarvi not really worth much atm, and Larsson not worth 2 firsts so really still a deal.

Chances are getting rid of Zaitzev is going to require taking back just of large of a contract.

I know lots of people think so, but apparently Dubas has already had offers for a 2nd round pick straight up. He turned it down. He wants a decent player back. Many teams still value zaitzev apparently (as Babcock does). And realistically if he can play top 4 minutes he’s not badly overpaid.

I know lots of people think so, but apparently Dubas has already had offers for a 2nd round pick straight up. He turned it down. He wants a decent player back. Many teams still value zaitzev apparently (as Babcock does). And realistically if he can play top 4 minutes he’s not badly overpaid.

It's not his cap hit it's the term that's the issue.

If the Kings are trading Doughty then that would signify a complete rebuild. They would want multiple cost controlled assets, not a RFA due big bucks.

If the Kings are trading Doughty then that would signify a complete rebuild. They would want multiple cost controlled assets, not a RFA due big bucks.

If doing a full rebuild sure...but if they think they have enough young parts to just retool? Unlikely of course, but possible. I actually agree though. I think LA should do a massive rebuild. How about Toronto let’s Marner walk away and gives 3 or 4 of the received 1sts for Doughty and Martinez?

When does free agency officially open? Or is it already open just not for everyone yet?

When does free agency officially open? Or is it already open just not for everyone yet?

Allowed to talk now. Deals not allowed to be signed until July 1st at noon. In theory not allowed to even discuss term or salary...but everybody does. As evidenced by all the deals sent to the league at 12:01 lol.

I mean dude would be your asset that you build around for years. Not talking about a guy who is 26-27.

I don't think it will or would happen as the Leafs don't need another $11 million player, no matter who it is.

I mean dude would be your asset that you build around for years. Not talking about a guy who is 26-27.

I don't think it will or would happen as the Leafs don't need another $11 million player, no matter who it is.

I agree I don’t think it happens, but I disagree about another superstar. Would have 3 each making ~13.5% of the cap. Plus another 3 guys being vastly underpaid (Reilly/Kadri/and I swear it will become quickly apparent Nylander). Add in goalie and 2 rfa resigns and that is 9 guys in the core. Leaves about 20 million for last dozen guys. With at least 6 on sub 1 million contracts, it basically leaves 8 guys for 14-16 million. Very doable. If can dump brown/Zaitzev.

I agree I don’t think it happens, but I disagree about another superstar. Would have 3 each making ~13.5% of the cap. Plus another 3 guys being vastly underpaid (Reilly/Kadri/and I swear it will become quickly apparent Nylander). Add in goalie and 2 rfa resigns and that is 9 guys in the core. Leaves about 20 million for last dozen guys. With at least 6 on sub 1 million contracts, it basically leaves 8 guys for 14-16 million. Very doable. If can dump brown/Zaitzev.

I don't have as many issues with Nylander's contract as some.

I just don't see how having 3 guys at $11 mill each would work long term. Again both Rielly and Andersen are due for massive upgrades in 2 and 3 years time.

What do you think Kap and Johansson will sign for?

Getting rid of Brown only frees up what $2 mill?

It wouldn't make sense to me because he's not a center or defenseman. I'd prefer Doughty was moved for a future stud defenseman or center as they are much more valuable and tougher to trade for.

It wouldn't make sense to me because he's not a center or defenseman. I'd prefer Doughty was moved for a future stud defenseman or center as they are much more valuable and tougher to trade for.

I don't disagree and completely agree on the centre aspect. However, not many teams are giving up those guys. I think in this market you have to rebuild through the draft and hope with a top 4 pick you can get a #1 centre.

I’m hoping they can sign Marner for under 10 for a good term. I think they will match an offer sheet up to 10.5 if it comes to that, but beyond that I think they take the 4 1st’s.

It will be interesting to see what they can do with Zaitsev, and I think Brown will be a cap casualty (which I thought he played well in the playoffs).

They need to address the D badly though and I’m waiting to see if a Kappy/ Mango goes for one. Although apparently deals for both are basically done, just waiting on the Marner contract to finalize.

There was supposed to be a big shake up with the leafs, still waiting to see that. They still need a second assistant coach too.

What do you think Kap and Johansson will sign for?
Getting rid of Brown only frees up what $2 mill?

Reilly Im hoping gets replaced by Sandin. Goalies are voodoo so I don’t even try to guess. Brown frees up 2 yes.
Kapanen has resigned for 3x3.2ish and Johnsson has resigned for 4x3.4ish ... apparently the deals are done but they are waiting to announce it for some reason. That’s not rumour, that’s Bob McKenzie. Both are slightly more than I’d like but likely to vastly outperform those deals. Wouldn’t shock me if one gets traded still for a D.

I’m hoping they can sign Marner for under 10 for a good term. I think they will match an offer sheet up to 10.5 if it comes to that, but beyond that I think they take the 4 1st’s.

It will be interesting to see what they can do with Zaitsev, and I think Brown will be a cap casualty (which I thought he played well in the playoffs).

They need to address the D badly though and I’m waiting to see if a Kappy/ Mango goes for one. Although apparently deals for both are basically done, just waiting on the Marner contract to finalize.

There was supposed to be a big shake up with the leafs, still waiting to see that. They still need a second assistant coach too.

I’m betting on a 6x10 deal for Marner. But I agree they match anything up until the 10.6ish AAV that gives them the 4 firsts. Even then, if it’s a consistently decent team where unlikely to be lottery picks I bet they match anyway. Saying that...I’m 99% sure there is no offer sheet coming. The other teams know Toronto matches anything up to 11AAV without a second thought. Does anybody out there really want to go that high or higher and completely reset the value of every RFA going forward? I doubt it. Also, does Marner really want to become a heel in his home town? Even signing a sheet would make him eternally hated by many. Can’t be a fun thought that you’re going to get bood every day at home. Plus, look at all the commercials he’s doing in Toronto. No way he gets that kind of sponsorship money anywhere else. And everybody says taxes are an issue...there are many reasons why that are boring accountant reasons. Somebody looked at Stone’s 9.5 million deal in state tax free Nevada and he netted an extra 75k going there than in Ottawa. Lots of money to me, but nothing to him.

I don't disagree and completely agree on the centre aspect. However, not many teams are giving up those guys. I think in this market you have to rebuild through the draft and hope with a top 4 pick you can get a #1 centre.

I agree and believe that if Doughty were traded that LA would ask for picks and prospects. Their future up front looks pretty good now and they really need to focus on the D core.

Burakovsky to the Avs

Burakovsky to the Avs

Have to admit I’d never heard of him. When I saw the trade come across twitter and the good return, I was surprised.

Miller to Buffalo for a 2nd seems pretty good deal for Buffalo.

Back