2019/2020 Soccer Thread

usaf_giles;n8895245 said:
United and City's transfer strategy has been totally different. I'll be the first to say that under the Glazer's ownership United have had no strategy and just bought people who sold shirts.

Look at the amount of money City's owners (UAE government) have put into the club compared to what the Glazer's have taken out. City has a two deep of $50-60 million players. Other than Foden I don't know of one academy product that will see any PT. United has Rashford, Lingard, Greenwood, Gomes, Mctominay, Tuanzebe, Pereira, and possibly Garner who will all be significant players this season. Even though is buy back was significant, let's not forget that Pogba was from the United youth setup.

Mansour has spent over a billion on players since acquiring the club. Those trophies are covered in oil, and last time I checked United wasn't in trouble for breaching FFP rules.

Man City has a purchased legacy, no doubt about it. I will admit, I don't follow United much, but I don't know who most of those players are, I am sure I will find out. Having Pogba in the youth system, losing him on a free, then buying him back for $100,000,000 is a pretty Utd sort of move. Academy's are quickly becoming a thing of the past in Premier League. kind of a shame really. But don't act like Utd haven't spent over $100,000,000 on it's starting back four.

And yes, FFP might ding City, but we know it won't. Also, FFP is silly anyways. I mean, European soccer is a heart of darkness. Just let the teams spend their own money. The time for FFP was 30 years ago. That ship has sailed.

Also, Arsenal will still have a joke of a backline. They will eat up the little clubs and get torched by the big ones. So is life as a Gooner.

Most of the players I mentioned play nearly every week at United.

I have no problem with a club spending it's own money, which is exactly what FFP is there for. A club can't spend more than it makes. What city does is fund transfers through bogus endorsements, which are nothing more than the owner funneling money through UAE/Etihad endorsements. It's not the clubs money they are spending, it's the owners.

usaf_giles;n8895275 said:
Most of the players I mentioned play nearly every week at United.

I have no problem with a club spending it's own money, which is exactly what FFP is there for. A club can't spend more than it makes. What city does is fund transfers through bogus endorsements, which are nothing more than the owner funneling money through UAE/Etihad endorsements. It's not the clubs money they are spending, it's the owners.

Didn't Utd just spend £140,000,000 on two defenders this summer while losing £50,000,000 last year and still being £500,000,000 in debt?

I mean, it's just spending. If teams can only spend what they make, both Manchester teams would need be in big trouble.

My point, don't be mad the City are spending a lot of money, be mad that they're doing better than everybody else.

Edit: the £50,000,000 loss was in the fiscal year ending in June 2018.

Here is the Champions League Groups for the 2019-20 season…
GROUP A
PSGFrance
Real MadridSpain
Club BruggeBelgium
GalatasarayTurkey

GROUP B
Bayern MunichGermany
TottenhamEngland
OlympiacosGreece
Red Star BelgradeSerbia

GROUP C
Man CityEngland
Shakhtar DonetskUkraine
Dinamo ZagrebCroatia
AtalantaItaly

GROUP D
JuventusItaly
Atletico MadridSpain
Bayer LeverkusenGermany
Lokomotiv MoscowRussia

GROUP E
LiverpoolEngland
NapoliItaly
SalzburgAustria
GenkBelgium

GROUP F
BarcelonaSpain
Borussia DortmundGermany
Inter MilanItaly
Slavia PragueCzech Republic

GROUP G
ZenitRussia
BenficaPortugal
LyonFrance
RB LeipzigGermany

GROUP H
ChelseaEngland
AjaxNetherlands
ValenciaSpain
LilleFrance

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...-for-this-season-s-european-cup-a4224166.html

[h=2]Premier League schedule[/h] All times Eastern.

Saturday, August 31
  • Southampton vs. Manchester United, 7:30am, NBCSN, Universo, fuboTV, Hulu Live, Sling Blue and AT&T TV Now (free trial)
  • Chelsea vs. Sheffield United, 10am, NBCSN, Universo, fuboTV, Hulu Live, Sling Blue and AT&T TV Now (free trial)
  • Manchester City vs. Brighton, 10am, NBC Sports Gold
  • Crystal Palace vs. Aston Villa, 10am, NBC Sports Gold
  • Leicester vs. Bournemouth, 10am, NBC Sports Gold
  • Newcastle vs. Watford, 10am, NBC Sports Gold
  • West Ham vs. Norwich, 10am, NBC Sports Gold
  • Burnley vs. Liverpool, 12:30pm, NBC, Universo, fuboTV, Hulu Live, Sling Blue and AT&T TV Now (free trial)

Manchester United are paying Alexis Sanchez $365,714 a week *NOT* to play for them.

blugold;n8895490 said:
Manchester United are paying Alexis Sanchez $365,714 a week *NOT* to play for them.
I am pretty happy that United swooped in and kept City from signing him.

Smallville;n8895571 said:
I am pretty happy that United swooped in and kept City from signing him.

Looking back at it, Arsenal would have been better off not getting Mkhitaryan in that deal.

I wondered at the time if the opening game of the season said more about Chelsea than about Man Utd. At this point, obviously so. Chelsea weren't quite ready to play, United pounced on them and looked like world-beaters. In retrospect, not so much.

Et Tu Brute?;n8895628 said:
I wondered at the time if the opening game of the season said more about Chelsea than about Man Utd. At this point, obviously so. Chelsea weren't quite ready to play, United pounced on them and looked like world-beaters. In retrospect, not so much.

That game proved what anyone paying attention to United already knew. United will be a one trick pony this year. Against teams that play on the front foot and try to attack, United will look great on the counter. Teams that sit back and have to be broken down, United will struggle due to lack of creativity/quality in the midfield.

And in response to United paying 140mill on two defenders. They also made 74mill on the Lukaku deal, sold Felliani, Darmian, Loaned Smalling, Sanchez. The net spend from the last two windows is less than 50mill. United loss of 50 mill in 2018 is solely due to debt restructuring by the owners. They had revenue of something crazy like 760mil. Which is reason #12,235 why they are the worst and need to sell.

usaf_giles;n8897808 said:
And in response to United paying 140mill on two defenders. They also made 74mill on the Lukaku deal, sold Felliani, Darmian, Loaned Smalling, Sanchez. The net spend from the last two windows is less than 50mill. United loss of 50 mill in 2018 is solely due to debt restructuring by the owners. They had revenue of something crazy like 760mil. Which is reason #12,235 why they are the worst and need to sell.

Wasn't Sanchez loaded out though? The Lukaku deal was a good bit of business, that's for sure. But that revenue wasn't from on the pitch football. That was global business and investment.

Be clear here, I have no issues with ManU buying defenders or any player in general. I am just saying, it's just spending and to only begrudge City for doing it is silly. I am all for allowing teams to only spend football related revenue on players, but that is not ever going to happen. Ever. Especially not across Europe. It's the exact reason why 4 of the 5 top leagues in Europe are boring, and frankly, really bad football outside of the top 2 or 3 teams.

I'm not the one referring City for punishment under FFP. You can try and compare it to United if you want, but the facts speak for themselves.

This first international break is the worst. Nothing like breaking up the season for meaningless international games.

Just to relight this fire...if you think there is nothing suspicious about City, their spending and the revenues they bring in, your naive beyond measure.

They have found someway to violate FFP and get away with it. Hats off to them for finding a way around the rules but the minute I saw a half empty Ethiad with the reporting attendance as “Sold out”, I was convinced they have cheated their way to relevance. They spend money in the market and behind the scenes and have managed to build a wonderful team with this business model. I’d be fine if they came out and said, “Yeah...we cheated, bribed and paid our way to a domestic treble.”, my contempt would drop severely. The football they play is at times just brilliant in all fairness. You can even question Pep’s brilliance if you so choose but to not question the legitimacy of their revenue streams is ignorance at its finest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usaf_giles;n8899655 said:
This first international break is the worst. Nothing like breaking up the season for meaningless international games.

Couldn’t agree more! We get a taste of the season and then we have to wait. But thank God we have the NFL starting back

35 seconds LOL

Premier League TV schedule
All times Eastern.

Saturday, September 14

Huge upset with Norwich beating Man City 3-2. Puts Liverpool up by 5 over City already.

Premier League TV Schedule
All times Eastern

Sunday, September 15

Bournemouth vs. Everton, 9am, NBCSN, fuboTV, Hulu Live, Sling Blue and AT&T TV Now (free trial)

Watford vs. Arsenal, 11:30am, NBCSN, Telemundo, fuboTV, Hulu Live, Sling Blue and AT&T TV Now (free trial)

Champions League TV schedule
All times Eastern.

Tuesday, September 17
  • Inter Milan vs. Slavia Prague (Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 12:55pm, TNT, UniMas, TUDN, fuboTV, Hulu + Live TV, Sling TV, AT&T TV Now and B/R Live
  • Lyon vs. Zenit St Petersburg (Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 12:55pm, Galavision, fuboTV (in Spanish) and B/R Live
  • Napoli vs. Liverpool (Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, TNT, Galavision, fuboTV, Hulu + Live TV, Sling TV, AT&T TV Now and B/R Live
  • Borussia Dortmund vs. Barcelona (Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, UniMas, TUDN, fuboTV and B/R Live
  • Chelsea vs. Valencia (Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • Ajax vs. Lille (Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • Benfica vs. RB Leipzig (Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • Salzburg vs. Genk (Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra

Champions League TV schedule
All times Eastern.

Wednesday, September 18
  • Olympiacos vs. Spurs (Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 12:55pm, TNT, UniMas, TUDN, fuboTV, Hulu + Live TV, Sling TV, AT&T TV Now and B/R Live
  • Club Brugge vs. Galatasaray (Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 12:55pm, Galavision, fuboTV (in Spanish) and B/R Live
  • Paris Saint-Germain vs. Real Madrid (Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, TNT, UniMas, TUDN, fuboTV, Hulu + Live TV, Sling TV, AT&T TV Now and B/R Live
  • Bayern vs. Red Star Belgrade (Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, B/R Liveand TUDNxtra
  • Shakhtar Donetsk vs. Manchester City (Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • Dinamo Zagreb vs Atalanta (Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, B/R Liveand TUDNxtra
  • Atletico Madrid vs. Juventus (Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, Galavision, fuboTV (in Spanish) and B/R Live
  • Bayer Leverkusen vs. Lokomotiv Moscow (Champions League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra

For the teams that play on Thursday.

Europa League TV schedule
All times Eastern USA

Thursday, September 19
  • APOEL vs. Dudelange (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 12:55pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • Qarabag vs. Sevilla (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 12:55pm, Galavision, fuboTV(in Spanish) and B/R Live
  • Dynamo Kiev vs. Malmo (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 12:55pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • Copenhagen vs. Lugano (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 12:55pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • Basel vs. Krasnodar (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 12:55pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • Getafe vs. Trabzonspor (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 12:55pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • PSV Eindhoven vs. Sporting CP (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 12:55pm, TUDN, fuboTV (in Spanish) and B/R Live
  • LASK vs. Rosenborg (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 12:55pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • Rennes vs. Celtic (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 12:55pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • Cluj vs. Lazio (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 12:55pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • Frankfurt vs. Arsenal (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 12:55pm, UniMas, fuboTV(in Spanish) and B/R Live
  • Standard Liege vs. Vitoria SC (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 12:55pm, B/R Liveand TUDNxtra
  • Porto vs. Young Boys (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, UniMas, fuboTV (in Spanish) and B/R Live
  • Rangers vs. Feyenoord (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • Ludogorets vs. CSKA Moscow (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, B/R Liveand TUDNxtra
  • Espanyol vs. Ferencváros (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • Wolfsburg vs. Olexandriya (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • Gent vs. St. Etienne (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • Roma vs. Basaksehir (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • Borussia Monchengladbach vs. Wolfsberg (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • Wolves vs. Sporting Braga (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, TUDN, fuboTV(in Spanish) and B/R Live
  • Bratislava vs. Besiktas (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra
  • Manchester United vs. Astana (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, Galavision, fuboTV (in Spanish) and B/R Live
  • Partizan vs. AZ Alkmaar (Europa League Group Stage, Matchday 1), 3pm, B/R Live and TUDNxtra

Back