2019/2020 Soccer Thread

So how does the Utd attack work with the personnel they have now? I know Rashford is up top, do they use the James kid and Martial on either side of Rashford or something like that?

I'd like to see James and Rashford on the field together every weekend, as a fairly unsophisticated viewer I can always appreciate just outrunning the defense and getting two guys barreling down on the keeper quick as you like.

I think we are going to see martial play through the center a lot more, kind of like his first season (with his #9 back) with rashford on the left, and probably a lot of lingard/mata/greenwood on the right. I could see james using his pace off the bench. or maybe 2 up top with rashy and martial.

they also have to find a way to fit sanchez in there somewhere.

The right side is still a problem, because none of those guys are natural on the right. and lingard and mata seem to drift inside to much. same with sanchez when he is out on the left.

Arsenal agree to sell Alex Iwobi to Everton for upwards of 40million pounds.

Solid.

I think we are going to see martial play through the center a lot more, kind of like his first season (with his #9 back) with rashford on the left, and probably a lot of lingard/mata/greenwood on the right. I could see james using his pace off the bench. or maybe 2 up top with rashy and martial.

they also have to find a way to fit sanchez in there somewhere.

The right side is still a problem, because none of those guys are natural on the right. and lingard and mata seem to drift inside to much. same with sanchez when he is out on the left.

Oops, I guess I had the wrong end of the stick. I thought Daniel James naturally played on the right and that was part of the appeal in bringing him in.

You know, if by some miracle Sanchez could justify some playing time and give them a handful of 1-goal, 1-assist games this season it would go a long way toward where they need to be. But that seems about as likely as De Gea shipping six goals against Chelsea this weekend.

He can play all three, but he mostly played on the left at swansea. I think they are going to try and fit him on the right and develop him there though since he is both footed and we are desperate. His final ball just isnt' there yet, so I don't think we will see him start all that much, maybe 10 games and some cup and europa league.

He can play all three, but he mostly played on the left at swansea. I think they are going to try and fit him on the right and develop him there though since he is both footed and we are desperate. His final ball just isnt' there yet, so I don't think we will see him start all that much, maybe 10 games and some cup and europa league.

Sorry, did you say "Europa League"? I was suddenly overcome with yawning and didn't hear what you said ;-)

That was a low blow, I know.

hahaa, cold thursday nights in eastern europe might be the only thing I can look forward to. that's where we are at right now.

So how does the Utd attack work with the personnel they have now? I know Rashford is up top, do they use the James kid and Martial on either side of Rashford or something like that?

I'd like to see James and Rashford on the field together every weekend, as a fairly unsophisticated viewer I can always appreciate just outrunning the defense and getting two guys barreling down on the keeper quick as you like.

I'd have to think Lingard and Martial are two and three in the attacking order. I'd rather have United use the 4-4-2 they always seem to do better with, but with that, I'm not sure who their other one of the 2 would be right now. United have a lot of midfielders, maybe a few forwards, but only one real guy you can use as an out and out striker.

martial can and has played through the middle (look at his first season prior to lukaku), and greenwood is the most natural striker to come through united in a long time just needs another year of development. I think we have 2/3 guys that can play up top, and I would almost rather have martial up there. the only problem is going to be the service. we only have 1 guy that's any threat in the midfield in Pogba.

martial can and has played through the middle (look at his first season prior to lukaku), and greenwood is the most natural striker to come through united in a long time just needs another year of development. I think we have 2/3 guys that can play up top, and I would almost rather have martial up there. the only problem is going to be the service. we only have 1 guy that's any threat in the midfield in Pogba.

But Pogba at his best (fingers crossed every week!) is quite the provider. His vision and pinpoint passing is something to watch when he's on form. Assuming one isn't expecting him to also function as an auxiliary defender at the same time.

I would think the biggest management challenge OGS faces is keeping Pogba fully motivated on a week to week basis and finding ways to let him make up for not having other creative options.

Pogba on his day is one of the best in the world, but what happens when he gets marked out of game like happened quite a few times last year. there is no second creative outlet in the midfield. It wasn't all motivation last year, teams know that if they take pogba out of the game or limit him they limit united.

look at city for example, mark KDB and still have david silva to worry about so it's impossible.

Those "issues" are no excuse for not signing bruno whose agent was practically begging for a move to england. That signing would have probably turned around the entire window/season. It is embarrassing that a club the size of United, coming off a season where they finished sixth are going to end up with a net spend of around 50 million or less.

Yeah that could have been an interesting one, but I am not sure he was worth the (rumored) 70m they were asking, maybe at 40m-50m, but I could see him being another Di Maria. Also the Spurs were the only other team rumored to be interested in him, which makes me wonder. But yes the net spend of 50m is way low for a team of this size.

And away we go. Hope Norwich can somehow take a point or three from Liverpool.

Premier League TV schedule
All times Eastern.

Friday, August 9
Liverpool vs. Norwich, 3pm, NBCSN, Universo, fuboTV, Hulu Live, Sling Blue and PlayStation Vue (free trial)

OK, so looks like Liverpool is gonna be top of the table. 3-0 after 30 minutes and Norwich even had an own goal to start things off.

All times Eastern.

Saturday, August 10

West Ham vs. Manchester City, 7:30am, NBCSN, Universo, fuboTV, Hulu Live, Sling Blue and PlayStation Vue (free trial)

Bournemouth vs. Sheffield United, 10am, NBCSN, Universo, fuboTV, Hulu Live, Sling Blue and PlayStation Vue (free trial)

Crystal Palace vs. Everton, 10am, NBC Sports Gold

Burnley vs. Southampton, 10am, NBC Sports Gold

Watford vs. Brighton, 10am, NBC Sports Gold

Spurs vs. Aston Villa, 12:30pm, NBC, Universo, fuboTV, Hulu Live, Sling Blueand PlayStation Vue (free trial)

Villa back and first game on NBC! Happy Saturday!! #UTV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a bad return to the top flight. Spurs are definitely the stronger team but Villa are playing some good counter attacking football. For a mostly rebuilt team, they seem to be gelling well. So glad McGinn stayed!

No way Villa could survive that onslaught! Still disappointed though especially as we held out so long. Positives to be taken away though.

Liverpool, City, Spurs won. What do you think about Arsenal and MU/Chelsea?

Just now watching City-West Ham. First 20 or so minutes City didn't look like a team destined to three-peat. But with beginning with the shot attempt Mahrez missed, they have looked a lot better. 1-0 in the 38th minute.

City wins 5-0. Looked more like themselves as the game went on.

All times Eastern.

Sunday, August 11

Newcastle vs. Arsenal, 9am, NBCSN, fuboTV, Hulu Live, Sling Blue and PlayStation Vue (free trial)
Leicester vs. Wolves, 9am, CNBC, Universo, fuboTV, Hulu Live, Sling Blue and PlayStation Vue (free trial)
Man United vs. Chelsea, 11:30am, NBCSN, Telemundo, fuboTV, Hulu Live, Sling Blue and PlayStation Vue (free trial)

Solid 3 points. Nothing flashy. Tough match. Lots of players missing.

Aubameyang class. Move on.

⚽⚽⚽⚽

Well that is an exciting start to the season.

Didn't expect 4-0 to start the season but sure felt nice.

Back