2019/2020 Soccer Thread

At least for the games shown on NBCSN (and perusing the other scores) not a lot of surprises in Game Week 1. You'd expect City to roll, Liverpool did what they needed (although the second half was blah), Spurs took care of business and Arsenal managed to get their 3 points in a stadium nobody wants to play in the rain.

Maybe one modest surprise is just how awful Chelsea were in the second half. Hope they can get a few points the next couple weeks before the owner bins Lampard!

It was great to get up early on the weekend and see some soccer on TV before heading to the course! Love this time of year.

Not the start I wanted to see for Chelsea, but it's a long season. Hopefully a bounce back v Leicester is on the horizon for Sunday.

Premier League TV schedule
All times Eastern.

Saturday, August 17
Arsenal vs. Burnley, 7:30am, NBCSN, fuboTV, Hulu Live, Sling Blue and PlayStation Vue (free trial)

Southampton vs. Liverpool, 10am, NBCSN, Universo, fuboTV, Hulu Live, Sling Blue and PlayStation Vue (free trial)

Aston Villa vs. Bournemouth, 10am, CNBC, fuboTV, Hulu Live, Sling Blue and PlayStation Vue (free trial)

Brighton vs. West Ham, 10am, NBC Sports Gold

Everton vs. Watford, 10am, NBC Sports Gold

Norwich vs. Newcastle, 10am, NBC Sports Gold

Manchester City vs. Spurs, 12:30pm, NBC, Telemundo, fuboTV, Hulu Live, Sling Blue and PlayStation Vue (free trial)

Joe Willock has been really nice to watch the first two games. But just thinking of Lacazette, Aubameyang, Pepe as a front three with Özil as a #10 and Ceballos just behind...that sounds magnificent.

blugold;n8879070 said:
Joe Willock has been really nice to watch the first two games. But just thinking of Lacazette, Aubameyang, Pepe as a front three with Özil as a #10 and Ceballos just behind...that sounds magnificent.

I saw the result, but how was the game this morning? Easy W or did they have to work for it?

City drops points at home against Spurs 2-2. Had a late goal disallowed by VAR.

Liverpool and Arsenal win and move ahead in the standings.

Smallville;n8879490 said:
City drops points at home against Spurs 2-2. Had a late goal disallowed by VAR.

Liverpool and Arsenal win and move ahead in the standings.

VAR is here to stay!

Premier League TV schedule
All times Eastern.

Sunday, August 18

Sheffield United vs. Crystal Palace, 9am, NBCSN, fuboTV, Hulu Live, Sling Blue and PlayStation Vue (free trial)

Chelsea vs. Leicester, 11:30am, NBCSN, Telemundo, fuboTV, Hulu Live, Sling Blue and PlayStation Vue (free trial)

Chelsea is swarming the ball through the first 30min. Hopefully this pace is sustainable bc they are giving Leicester all they can handle in the middle right now

mikeg_74;n8879147 said:
I saw the result, but how was the game this morning? Easy W or did they have to work for it?
Both?

Burnley was high effort and high energy. They are a very physical team. The quality of players Arsenal had yesterday, the game wasn't really in doubt.

mikeg_74;n8879800 said:
Chelsea is swarming the ball through the first 30min. Hopefully this pace is sustainable bc they are giving Leicester all they can handle in the middle right now

and a defensive lapse led to the Leicester equalizer. Got the point, but should have been 3.

LC should have won that match with as many chances as they had in the final 50-60 mins.

very entertaining.

week 1 in my fantasy lg ends tomorrow with a 5pt lead. GGMU!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got to go to my first match in Europe today. Eintracht Frankfurt vs Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga. Amazing experience though the game wasn’’t the best.

301efacde68b3750b654cf461777383b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s about right. 4-0 win over Chelsea and then draw Wolves. Going to be another one of those seasons.

cbaker2882;n8881157 said:
That’s about right. 4-0 win over Chelsea and then draw Wolves. Going to be another one of those seasons.

LOL!! Definitely not the result they would have expected.

ECW-x0dXsAEor60

Not sure what the point is having VAR if they ignore someone receiving the ball in an offsides position, Granted Pogba blew a big chance & it should not have mattered but either use VAR or don't but don't make VAR a gray area they already have that

jhstew1;n8881248 said:
ECW-x0dXsAEor60

Not sure what the point is having VAR if they ignore someone receiving the ball in an offsides position, Granted Pogba blew a big chance & it should not have mattered but either use VAR or don't but don't make VAR a gray area they already have that

I'm missing something here. What's wrong with the picture? I didn't watch the game so I don't know the story.

blugold;n8881813 said:
I'm missing something here. What's wrong with the picture? I didn't watch the game so I don't know the story.

From what I can tell, some are saying that the players shoulder/arm at bottom of image is in an offside position. The way I see it, the pass is backwards and is not offsides. But, I am certainly no expert.

vdubtx;n8881853 said:
From what I can tell, some are saying that the players shoulder/arm at bottom of image is in an offside position. The way I see it, the pass is backwards and is not offsides. But, I am certainly no expert.

Since the arm cannot play the ball, the arm can be in an offisides position. As long as no part of the player that can play the ball is onside, it's fine.

disappointing result, but it's one more point than last year. my only complaint is that ole waited until the 88th to bring in Greenwood when we need a little creativity. I also would have like to see Gomez on the bench to come in instead of Mata. The game should have been sealed in the first 45.

I thought it was a pretty good bank holiday weekend selection of games on NBCSN. Good watching, I'm glad the season has well and truly started now (at least until that first darned international break).

Looks like United are in a sort of niche at this point in their (re)development. I doubt they can go toe-to-toe with City or Liverpool and not get hammered. And they had a lot of trouble breaking down the well-coached defense at Wolves.

But they seem to be fun to watch when someone in their own weight class chooses to get into a run and shoot with them like Chelsea did. Question is, how many uptempo attacking sides will they face this season and get to show their stuff.

United are going to struggle breaking down teams that park the bus like wolves did. They don't have the creativity in midfield. Martial and Rashford are top tier talents, but they rely on at least some sort of service from the midfield. I honestly think they will perform better against the top 6 then those mid-table teams.

That first goal by United was a thing of beauty, but those will be rare compared to the goals they will score on the break this year.

Back