Diane

Reaction score
My friend's father is a boxing promoter so he asked if I wanted to go to a boxing match. It really doesn't appeal to me, but people keep telling me it's different when you're there live. I have a feeling it would be even less appealing live though. Anyway - has anyone ever been to a live boxing match and if so, is it fun?

I am a huge boxing fan. Not as much anymore since the sport has changed, but they are a lot of fun in person.

I used to be into boxing (as a television spectator), but I have been to only one live event, while I lived in England. It was a set of University fights, pitting student fighters vs. 'locals', at Town Hall. A bit different than a professional boxing event, but I enjoyed it a lot!

I recommend that you do go, even if you don't like boxing. I have seen the Bruins play hockey once, and the Red Sox play baseball once, and while I am not necessarily in to either sport, I am still glad I went! :thumb:

Ive never been to a big professional fight, but I have been to a bunch of amateur ones. They are always fun and brings a new appreciation to the sport.

Been to a couple it was fun just not a big fan of boxing. I would say go it's worth the experience.

I have this vision of being sprayed with blood while sitting in the audience. Does that happen?

I have this vision of being sprayed with blood while sitting in the audience. Does that happen?

Yes, all the time, but they do give you a tarp. Its kind of like going to Sea World.

Yes, all the time, but they do give you a tarp. Its kind of like going to Sea World.

That settles it - I'm not going. Thank you Gasman.

Get outside your comfort zone, go to the bout. The many I have been too are exciting and entertaining. Live a little kiddo.

I am guessing that your well-connected friend will be able to arrange some seats at a safe distance, where beer-spray is all you will have to worry about!

If you don't understand boxing then don't go. I had the pleasure of watching "Sweet Pea" Whitaker several times and enjoyed watching him whoop azz, but that is just me.

When they have a big, high profile boxing match in Vegas, we go to it. Not so much for the boxing, but to see the show business folks who attend these events. :clapp:

I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to go. I watched the Golden Gloves matches in my hometown as a kid and they were fun to attend. It is different in person.

Not a fan.

Although I prefer MMA bouts to boxing, IMO both can be fun as long as you understand the sport(s). Also hopefully if you go it is a good one and not a 15second KO or something.

Far as getting sprayed with blood that sounds a little shady to me, but I am not the authority. Been to a TON of UFC stuff and never even seen "spray" go anywhere out of the ring. IMO MMA fights have a bigger propensity for blood-letting seeing as I have seen open cuts on the head/face actually spurt out blood anytime the opponent used a lock around the head area and the fight wasn't ended until a tap out.

Never been to a professional fight, but have seen a couple of amateur ones. I'm not a huge boxing fan anymore, liked it more during the Larry Holmes & Mike Tyson eras. But it was worth it just to see the fights. It's a lot different than seeing it on tv.

I haven't watched much boxing since the Tyson ear biting incident.

Never been to a professional fight, but have seen a couple of amateur ones. I'm not a huge boxing fan anymore, liked it more during the Larry Holmes & Mike Tyson eras. But it was worth it just to see the fights. It's a lot different than seeing it on tv.

QFT! Not a big baseball fan, but live is extremely fun to watch.

QFT! Not a big baseball fan, but live is extremely fun to watch.

For me, baseball is boring live. I played from K-12 growing up, ended my senior year one game from going to state. But going to a major league game it was always boring to watch the game itself. It's rather slow and pretty dull. The crowd interaction is what made it fun for me.

Best game ever was also my senior year (summer '92). The 6 seniors and our head coach all piled into a van and took a road trip down to Chicago and watched a Cubs game that afternoon then a White Sox game (New Comiskey) that night before driving back home. About an 8 hour drive each way. The White Sox game was a blast, we were upper deck behind home plate to the 1st base side sitting with a bunch of buys from U of I-Chicago. About mid-game the bunch of us started the wave around the stadium, thanks to a lot of yelling to the crowd around us. :D

all I know is.....I would love to get in close, and photograph a Boxing match!

It's pretty cool, but IMO MMA is a lot more fun to watch, but then again this is just me.

Ok - I decided to go. It's in November, but now I'm getting excited. As I said, my friend's father is the promotor so I'll be with them.

For those of you have been to a boxing match - what does one wear?

For those of you have been to a boxing match - what does one wear?

I would consider the venue. World heavyweight title fight at Ceasar's Palace a bit spiffed up, at the local hockey arena, denim and a nice shirt. Maybe a Sligo shirt but not Loudmouth pants.

I would consider the venue. World heavyweight title fight at Ceasar's Palace a bit spiffed up, at the local hockey arena, denim and a nice shirt. Maybe a Sligo shirt but not Loudmouth pants.

Nah - definitely not Vegas and you do know I'm a woman - right?

Back