Which Sport Has the Fittest Athletes?

So the determination of who is fittest is based on who can do what ... push my lawn mower the longest? Pull out the most weeds from my garden in a set time period?
Nobody has given a definition of what is "fit". I lean heavily that strength is far more important than long distance running ability.

I would say Tri-Athletes.

Nobody has given a definition of what is "fit". I lean heavily that strength is far more important than long distance running ability.
I lean towards the other end of the spectrum. To me, fit means healthy. An arm wrestler can be incredibly strong, but get winded going up a flight of stairs because he's a a tub of lard. You're not going to find obese long distance runners.

I would say 'most fit' would be whoever has the best combination of strength, physical endurance, skill/coordination, and speed. Without some aspect of all of those, you're automatically out (strictly IMO). Which is why sports like hockey are towards the top for me.

I would say 'most fit' would be whoever has the best combination of strength, physical endurance, skill/coordination, and speed. Without some aspect of all of those, you're automatically out (strictly IMO). Which is why sports like hockey are towards the top for me.
Irish Hurling for the win.

Athlete!

hqdefault.jpg

I think you just solved the answer to this question.

sure it is. just ask anybody who does it and they'd be happy to tell you...

Seriously .

If someone is in crossfit and they don't mention it within 5 minutes of meeting you it's a miracle .

It's like a cult .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously .

If someone is in crossfit and they don't mention it within 5 minutes of meeting you it's a miracle .

It's like a cult .

it's the opposite of fight club.

the first rule of crossfit is you always talk about crossfit.

the second rule of crossfit is YOU ALWAYS TALK ABOUT CROSSFIT.

I lean towards the other end of the spectrum. To me, fit means healthy. An arm wrestler can be incredibly strong, but get winded going up a flight of stairs because he's a a tub of lard. You're not going to find obese long distance runners.
But distance running isn't healthy. I mean, there are countless stories of heart failure among runners. "Healthy" is a moving target and is wildly dependent on genetics.

Likewise, "fitness" is more than just long distance endurance. If somebody wants to define fitness as the ability to run, bike, or swim a long ways for a long time, that's on them.

such a weird sport. haha
Right. But by your definition, those players are more fit than a sprinter or marathon runner, swimmer, or cyclist.

I can get with what you're laying down.

sure it is. just ask anybody who does it and they'd be happy to tell you...

Is crossfit an actual sport now?

So to all who apparently don't think Crossfit is a sport defend your reason. Seems a lot think it is not but I don't see anyone saying why. And no I don't do crossfit it is too damn expensive.

So to all who apparently don't think Crossfit is a sport defend your reason. Seems a lot think it is not but I don't see anyone saying why. And no I don't do crossfit it is too damn expensive.
People think CrossFit is housewives and bros going to a local box to do their randomly selected WOD. The athletes from The CrossFit Games are so far beyond that. It's like comparing adult rec league basketball to the NBA.

People think CrossFit is housewives and bros going to a local box to do their randomly selected WOD. The athletes from The CrossFit Games are so far beyond that. It's like comparing adult rec league basketball to the NBA.

You hit the nail on the head.

Complete generalization.

Based on the idea that Crossfit is a sport, so is stationary biking, poker, professional gaming, those roided out freaks that are posing on the stage and lets not forget the hotdog eating contest. ATHLETE! ...Because their is prize money involved, movement and of course art of competition.

I am now inventing a sport. The White Knuckling League!
Anger, Intensity and the internet. I will give away THP Sponsorships to make sure I qualify and even some prize money.

There, now THP Forum posting is a sport.

Complete generalization.

Based on the idea that Crossfit is a sport, so is stationary biking, poker, professional gaming, those roided out freaks that are posing on the stage and lets not forget the hotdog eating contest. ATHLETE! ...Because their is prize money involved, movement and of course art of competition.

Anger, Intensity and the internet. I will give away THP Sponsorships to make sure I qualify and even some prize money.

I don't think it has much in common with any of those, it definitely checks all of the boxes for me. Requires talent (to compete at a high level), is physically demanding etc.

Power lifting is in the Olympics right? Seems more sporty to me.

Edit: I'm referring to those competing in the crossfit games.

JB, is this an apparel and equipment sponsorship or is money involved? Asking for a friend.

Complete generalization.

The competitive "CrossFit Games" is basically a highly competitive gym class. It is as much a competitive sport as any track and field event. The housewives at local CrossFit boxes, not a sport.

I don't think it has much in common with any of those, it definitely checks all of the boxes for me. Requires talent (to compete at a high level), is physically demanding etc.

Powerlifting (squat, bench press, and deadlift) is not in the Olympics. Weighlifting (clean & jerk, snatch) are.

So does Paint Ball.
I would argue every one of the things I listed there does as well in some capacities.
And why is everything else a sport at all levels, but crossfit only at the high level? The rest of the time its called the gym or working out :D

Powerlifting is its own separate set of events (Dead lift, Squat, Bench press) from Olympic lifting (clean & jerk and snatch).

Olympic lifters have better vertical leaps than high jumpers, as a general rule.

And while you're free to make the argument that Olympic lifters are not the fittest in the world necessarily (their sport is won or lost over two lifts, performed three times in a given day, so I can't testify to their aerobic fitness) I sure wouldn't mind being able to say I can lift more than twice my body weight over my head in the span of a second while looking like a Greek god.
49ae63c51a508b01767d89c645dba4c9.jpg

Back