There's nothing like having a head to head putting test two days before the Club Championship trying to figure out which one to use. My putting doesn't feel comfortable at all and I need to find up with something.

There's nothing like having a head to head putting test two days before the Club Championship trying to figure out which one to use. My putting doesn't feel comfortable at all and I need to find up with something.

haha, that's called "being a golfer"

I feel your pain, lol. I’ve struggled with my putting for all but a handful of rounds this year. I’m seriously contemplating going to the long putter again especially after playing yesterday with another plus handicap golfer who was using the broomstick. He was my age and switched 8 years ago and immediately shaved a couple strokes off his index. For now it’s the claw grip and if that doesn’t fix my putting, I’m back to the 47”.

I’ve had many rounds this year where I’ve hit 15 or 16 GIR and shot over par.

I feel your pain, lol. I’ve struggled with my putting for all but a handful of rounds this year. I’m seriously contemplating going to the long putter again especially after playing yesterday with another plus handicap golfer who was using the broomstick. He was my age and switched 8 years ago and immediately shaved a couple strokes off his index. For now it’s the claw grip and if that doesn’t fix my putting, I’m back to the 47”.

I’ve had many rounds this year where I’ve hit 15 or 16 GIR and shot over par.

Have you ever tried a Garsen Edge or Garsen MAX putter grip ? The design requires that the player place jis/her thumbs at the side (rather than the top) of the putter grip.

www.garsengolf.com

I've gone back to my mallet after struggling with the anser style putter for a while. Just haven't been making any decent length putts.

Have you ever tried a Garsen Edge or Garsen MAX putter grip ? The design requires that the player place jis/her thumbs at the side (rather than the top) of the putter grip.

www.garsengolf.com

I've tried it all and have 3 putters in my collection of 35 with Garsen grips on them. Some are born great putters, and then there is the rest of us. I'm happy and very appreciative that I've been a great ball striker for four decades and everything but putting has come relatively easy to me with only a handful of lessons in my life. I just wish I could make a couple more putts per round in the 3-10 foot range. I missed 6 putts inside of 7 feet the other day and another couple in the 8-10 foot range. Part of it is the greens at my home course have a lot of slope and run at 10.5-11 on the Stimpmeter which means it's easy for some of the pin locations to be borderline. Whenever I play elsewhere I putt better and have better scores. Seven of my ten scores that make up my 1.4 index are at away courses and I played 8 away rounds in my last 20. I just get a bit frustrated at how defensive I have to putt on most putts at my home course. The solution would be to switch clubs, lol, but all my good buddies are members. None of them are feeling sorry for me and find it somewhat humorous to watch me struggle like they did the first year or so on our fast, slopey, greens.

How did your putting lesson go yesterday or the day before @tahoebum

How did your putting lesson go yesterday or the day before @tahoebum

Better, thanks! I brought a few putters and he had me switch to one that suits my very, very slight arc. My tempo is a little less consistent than I would like but he gave me some drills for that, including hit practice putts with a dime resting on the back of the putter to smooth out my stroke. I putted OK yesterday with no putts missed inside of 5 feet so that is a huge improvement. I shot one over after the lesson but I hit a 4 wood OB on my second shot on a par 5 and made double - not something I normally do. I’m also experimenting with adding 40-50 grams to the putter head as for 15+ years I putted with heads in the 400 gram range and got away from it a couple years ago for no reason that I can think of. I'll get the putter thing figured out, this certainly isn't my first slump with the flatstick. :act-up:

Last edited:

www.garsengolf.com

I will plus one this recommendation. I just discovered the Garsen MAX and it is really working for me.

I've tried it all and have 3 putters in my collection of 35 with Garsen grips on them.

If you have not already done so, I suggest focusing on putter weight. Specifically, try some relatively light heads (300 grams to 330 grams) and light grips (50 to 60 grams) on putters in the 35" to 36" length range. Using these specs the putters will end up in the D2 to D5 swing weight range.
Crenshaw, Faxon, Fowler and Tiger all use putters in this length/weight range and it is very different from today's trendy heavy head-heavy grip-high swing weight putters.
You might find that a 35" to 36" putter promotes a relaxed, comfortable address position, and that the relatively light dead weight,and the D2 to D6 swing weight, all work together to make an easy-to-swing, easy-to-control golf club. This weight is similar to the short irons and wedges in the bag, so there is "swing harmony"when moving from an iron or wedge to the putter.
It's been trendy for years now to have super heavy putters that are not at all similar in weight to the other clubs within the bag, and I think this disharmony creates unnecessary challenges for lots of players.

I will plus one this recommendation. I just discovered the Garsen MAX and it is really working for me.

Are you placing your thumbs flat on the sides of the grip ? When using this hand placement technique it naturally brings the elbows in close to the body and and also naturally promotes a relaxed shoulder position (not hunched forward).

I played in a scramble yesterday. I played this tournament with the same guys for the last 5 years. I always have putted first to “show the line” to the other guys. I actually drained 4 out of the first 5. I attribute this to a lot of practice and my SL Double Wide. I moved into the second position, so that is nice. Feels good to see substantial improvements.

Are you placing your thumbs flat on the sides of the grip ? When using this hand placement technique it naturally brings the elbows in close to the body and and also naturally promotes a relaxed shoulder position (not hunched forward).

Exactly. It is really working for me.

Exactly. It is really working for me.

I have noticed that most players, when handed a Garsen Edge or MAX for the first time, resist/reject its thumbs-to-the-side technique .If you've embraced the concept/technique that's great.
Which brand/model and at what length is your putter ?

I have noticed that most players, when handed a Garsen Edge or MAX for the first time, resist/reject its thumbs-to-the-side technique .If you've embraced the concept/technique that's great.
Which brand/model and at what length is your putter ?

For me, it felt extremely comfortable immediately. My putter with the Garsen is a Piretti Matera. 33.5 inches. I have a thread on it in this section of the forum, with photos.

For me, it felt extremely comfortable immediately. My putter with the Garsen is a Piretti Matera. 33.5 inches. I have a thread on it in this section of the forum, with photos.

I have a few putters with the Garsen MAX, and others with the Garsen Edge. They are the same design concept, however the Edge is a little bit smaller diameter, and it is of traditional rubber (not synthetic like the MAX). The Max weighs 55 grams and the Edge weighs 77 grams. On the same putter the Edge will swing weight about 5 points less than the MAX. I use the MAX went I want a heavier swing weight (shorter length putters) and the Edge for a lighter swing weight (longer length putters).

Currently reviewing a putter for a company, of which I can’t say anything for a good while as far as who or what.

But, imo it’s the best they’ve ever produced. It’s also imo one of the best shapes ever ever ever.

Currently reviewing a putter for a company, of which I can’t say anything for a good while as far as who or what.

But, imo it’s the best they’ve ever produced. It’s also imo one of the best shapes ever ever ever.

That's just a cruel tease.

Hahaha I love that tease.

Why do people do this? It’s the best, blah, blah, blah, but I can’t tell you anything. So cruel, inhumane. I am sure it violates the U.S. Constitution.

I wish there was an eye roll gif on hand.

Here we go:

giphy.gif

Why do people do this? It’s the best, blah, blah, blah, but I can’t tell you anything. So cruel, inhumane. I am sure it violates the U.S. Constitution.

It’s called an embargo.

You’re welcome!

Putting Banter

I wish there was an eye roll gif on hand.

Here we go:

giphy.gif

Noted. I’ll keep everything to myself now.

Well, that and to the homepage and review thread when the time comes.

Thanks!

Whoops, forgot this: :alien:

Last edited:
I might be the only one who is excited, but there was a putter lawsuit filed yesterday.

Back