PING Sigma 2 Putters Bring Adjustability

I went to the range yesterday, to try some drivers with my Kiwi friend, who is a greenkeeper. I ended up buying the Fetch. I could give some pretty incredible feedback on the results testing this on the putting green but I won't.

Why not? Share you feelings with us...

My greenkeeper friend doesn't like the Fetch at all because 'there'll always be users that will damage the cup or the hole with it'.

I don't see how that could possibly be worth worrying about.

Had the ZB-2 back out on the greens yesterday after a couple days with some of my other flow neck putters. Eager for this review to go up and everyone to see what it holds, but, the insert here is worth talking about again and again in my opinion.

The consistency and momentum of the roll off the face is wild, even to someone like me who hoar...er...collects putters, I have seen literally ONE design that puts this caliber of a roll on the ball consistently, that that was a boutique putter in the Flux. That is saying something, because if I could have that insert in every putter I own, I would.

Read through some of this thread.

I am really liking the adjustability and the way it’s done (huge improvement over the last adjustable putters IMO).
Really seems like most think the insert is solid.

Might see if I can pick up a Wolverine someplace before our season starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read through some of this thread.

I am really liking the adjustability and the way it’s done (huge improvement over the last adjustable putters IMO).
Really seems like most think the insert is solid.

Might see if I can pick up a Wolverine someplace before our season starts.

Do it!

My son has adopted mine and I can't pry it out of his bag now.

Love the adjustability on these. I'm playing an old Ping iN Lil Wack E that I'm looking to upgrade. I tested most of them out a few weeks ago, and really like the stealth Anser. Not sure if it'll go on sale anytime soon, but if it does I'm going to jump on it.

Had the ZB-2 back out on the greens yesterday after a couple days with some of my other flow neck putters. Eager for this review to go up and everyone to see what it holds, but, the insert here is worth talking about again and again in my opinion.

The consistency and momentum of the roll off the face is wild, even to someone like me who hoar...er...collects putters, I have seen literally ONE design that puts this caliber of a roll on the ball consistently, that that was a boutique putter in the Flux. That is saying something, because if I could have that insert in every putter I own, I would.

Totally agree on the insert. It has been so consistent for me.

Just was at the golf galaxy event and they had a putting contest so I put the Arna up against the B60 for a side by side comparison. Definitely night and day on the feel but what I found interesting after about 50 20ft putts was that I was able to dial the Arna in much faster than the b60. I started with the B60 and was blasting putts past the hole, but with the Arna I was within a ft or 2 on the first few putts and was able to stay that way. The side by side feel was extremely noticeable and I still think people will want to try first hand if they are used to a milled face.

I’ve been having such a good putting streak with the fetch as of late. Making many more mid range and long range putts. Distance control is starting to really sync up as well. This thing will be staying in the bag long term...

I’ve been having such a good putting streak with the fetch as of late. Making many more mid range and long range putts. Distance control is starting to really sync up as well. This thing will be staying in the bag long term...

Totally agree. Seems like my distance control has been spot on with my Fetch.

Anyone got experience between Sigma Tyne H and the new Sigma 2 Tyne? Is the face insert that much better?? Feeling or performance??

Anyone got experience between Sigma Tyne H and the new Sigma 2 Tyne? Is the face insert that much better?? Feeling or performance??

I haven’t made the comparison between the Tyne models, and I am playing the Kushin C currently, but I did recently compare side by side the Sigma G Piper 3 and the Sigma 2 Arna, which are analogous shapes to one another, more or less, when I was assisting my father in law in his selection of a new putter.

He chose the Arna over the Piper G after testing both out throughly. Both he and I found both putters to be great and very similar in their roll. This makes sense because the the face pattern is the same on both models, and both models have a PEBAX polymer component to the face. The Sigma G has a milled aluminum face overlaying the polymer, I believe, while the Sigma 2 has the polymer face in a dual configuration, including the face.

What does all of this mean? The Sigma G seems to have a soft face, but with a more traditional feel and “click” of a metal faced putter. It rolls very well, but I did find that off center strikes were not as forgiving with respect to distance control. The Sigma 2, which it’s PREBAX face, is soft and does not have a “click” but more of a muted “thwack” or “thump” when struck. Roll is phenomenal and distance forgiveness, as many have said here before, is really, really good. Having tested the two models I mentioned above side by side, you could really see the difference.

My initial concern with the Sigma 2 was that it would have been too soft, but that has not been the case at all. In fact, my distance control has gone from good to great with the Sigma 2. Both the Sigma generations are really good putters, and there is not a huge difference between the two, and I think I could successfully play each. But the Sigma 2, so long as you do not Mind a moderately soft feel, is certainly superior.

And don’t forget that the Sigma 2 is easily adjustable in length, and the Sigma G does not have the feature.

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch: MOI and Distance Control

I have have another quick video for those looking at the Ping Sigma 2.

In general, I wanted to cover how strong the MOI and Distance Control is with the Fetch.

The Fetch face insert is rather unique. I believe Ping has created an insert that REDUCES the distance on center strikes while INCREASES the distance on the off-center hits. This allows for the ball to travel virtually the same throughout the putter insert. You can hit off the toe, heal, or center and the ball will travel almost the exact distance with a similar roll.

As for distance control and feel, without question, this might be the easiest putter I have ever used to determine my length of putts. I feel like I can easily judge how far each put is going to roll no matter how slow or fast the greens are. Just takes a few swings and I can judge how I should swing my putts. I think a lot of this is due to the ball coming out hot. I don’t have to bring my putter back as far as other putters and can be a more consistent putter with the smaller stroke.

I admit being a mid to higher handicapper my putting is not the best. However, I do believe this Ping Sigma 2 face insert is going to help in this area. I guess that goes back to my earlier statement of how personal preference is important when choosing a putter.

Here is the video for those that want to see. Sorry, it was cold and wet out so I had my heavy coat on when shooting the video.

https://youtu.be/dKdMpMrzhmg

The Fetch face insert is rather unique. I believe Ping has created an insert that REDUCES the distance on center strikes while INCREASES the distance on the off-center hits. This allows for the ball to travel virtually the same throughout the putter insert. You can hit off the toe, heal, or center and the ball will travel almost the exact distance with a similar roll.
This has been the goal of the TR groove/face since they were introduced

PING and Evnroll seem to be the only ones marketing their grooves/face as maintaining distance control, with others touting MOI

I haven’t made the comparison between the Tyne models, and I am playing the Kushin C currently, but I did recently compare side by side the Sigma G Piper 3 and the Sigma 2 Arna, which are analogous shapes to one another, more or less, when I was assisting my father in law in his selection of a new putter.

He chose the Arna over the Piper G after testing both out throughly. Both he and I found both putters to be great and very similar in their roll. This makes sense because the the face pattern is the same on both models, and both models have a PEBAX polymer component to the face. The Sigma G has a milled aluminum face overlaying the polymer, I believe, while the Sigma 2 has the polymer face in a dual configuration, including the face.

What does all of this mean? The Sigma G seems to have a soft face, but with a more traditional feel and “click” of a metal faced putter. It rolls very well, but I did find that off center strikes were not as forgiving with respect to distance control. The Sigma 2, which it’s PREBAX face, is soft and does not have a “click” but more of a muted “thwack” or “thump” when struck. Roll is phenomenal and distance forgiveness, as many have said here before, is really, really good. Having tested the two models I mentioned above side by side, you could really see the difference.

My initial concern with the Sigma 2 was that it would have been too soft, but that has not been the case at all. In fact, my distance control has gone from good to great with the Sigma 2. Both the Sigma generations are really good putters, and there is not a huge difference between the two, and I think I could successfully play each. But the Sigma 2, so long as you do not Mind a moderately soft feel, is certainly superior.

And don’t forget that the Sigma 2 is easily adjustable in length, and the Sigma G does not have the feature.

Awesome respone thank you! I think I’ll try and get some time to try the new against the old! Love the fact you can get a stealth shaft in the Sigma 2 range, Black tyne head with a stealth shaft :banana:

Ping Sigma 2: Fetch

“Fetching” the Ball

As many have read earlier and have seen the new Fetch style putter, the hole in the putter head was crafted to allow the player to “fetch” the ball from either sitting on the green or putting the entire putter head into the hole and removing the ball without bending over.

This feature is the main reason I asked for this particular putter to test. I personally know people that have either back issues or other reasons that make it more difficult to bend over and grab their golf ball. They still love to play golf, and if a putter can make it easier on them I am all for it. However, the big debate is will putting a hole club head into the hole cause damage to the hole. Even a putter design to go into the hole could have issues if a player is not careful correct? Well, that is going to be the debate.

I made a video about showing the ease of “Fetching” the ball from the green and more importantly the hole. I tried to see how hard it would be to use the putter to damage the green or if damaging would be easily done by most. I tried again and again to remove the ball from the hole and then looked at the hole to see if any issue occurred. I tried to be careful and I tried to NOT be careful.

I have to say, I was very surprised and satisfied to see the design of the Fetch makes retrieval of the ball while in the hole incredibly easy and most importantly SAFE to the green. I would have to really try and damage the green (didn’t do this of course) with the putter on purpose for anything to happen that would be a concern to people. So a large KUDOS to Ping for this design.

The one con I could see if the possibility of the putter head itself getting scratched while in the cup as you move around and “Fetch” the ball. However, I didn’t see any more scratches that if you didn’t use a cover on the putter and it banged around your irons.

Here is the “Fetching” video:

https://youtu.be/N7_R1x2BTOU

Please, ask any questions you may have on the insert, the adjustability, the feel, or the distance control. This putter is a fantastic piece of equipment that Ping has created. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Plus, the price point is not bad either.

Of course, I am not done by a long shot on reviewing the Fetch. Can’t wait till full golf season hits so I can get out there and use every round and get a bunch of Arccos stats on the putter.

Ok, so I’ve had the Sigma 2 Anser putter in the bag now for that last 7 rounds, my normal gamer is a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter, and I’m beginning to like it!

At first, I thought that the face of the putter was too soft, I play on fast greens and on certain putts you could hardly feel the ball coming off the face, which I didn’t like especially coming from using a Scotty. But, I love the adjustability! Love changing the length when needed and it has a little bit bigger pistol grip on it that the pistol tour I have on the Scotty. The only problem with the adjustability of the length of the putter is changing the grip that comes with it. Since the screw to change the length is in the grip, what happens if you want a bigger or smaller grip on the Sigma 2?

Now, the face is soft, extremely soft for my liking, but I’m getting used to it. You can make a good stroke from distance putts, the problem is the shorter downhill putts that are quick and you need that feel off the face! Now I haven’t lost or gained any strokes putting in these 7 rounds, I average 28.4 putts per round before putting the Sigma 2 Anser in the bag and that’s what I averaged with the Scotty. I’m beginning to like the putter and getting used to it, so as of right now, I’m going to keep it in the bag. I do believe that the person that wants to try this product will have to give the putter a few rounds to get used to it feel of the face before giving a true assessment on it! But, give it a try, I think you might like it!

Nice thoughts and reviews. As it's been said it sounds like a very soft face so maybe not for me, but I'll try some putts with it as we never know til we try it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ok, so I’ve had the Sigma 2 Anser putter in the bag now for that last 7 rounds, my normal gamer is a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter, and I’m beginning to like it!

At first, I thought that the face of the putter was too soft, I play on fast greens and on certain putts you could hardly feel the ball coming off the face, which I didn’t like especially coming from using a Scotty. But, I love the adjustability! Love changing the length when needed and it has a little bit bigger pistol grip on it that the pistol tour I have on the Scotty. The only problem with the adjustability of the length of the putter is changing the grip that comes with it. Since the screw to change the length is in the grip, what happens if you want a bigger or smaller grip on the Sigma 2?

Now, the face is soft, extremely soft for my liking, but I’m getting used to it. You can make a good stroke from distance putts, the problem is the shorter downhill putts that are quick and you need that feel off the face! Now I haven’t lost or gained any strokes putting in these 7 rounds, I average 28.4 putts per round before putting the Sigma 2 Anser in the bag and that’s what I averaged with the Scotty. I’m beginning to like the putter and getting used to it, so as of right now, I’m going to keep it in the bag. I do believe that the person that wants to try this product will have to give the putter a few rounds to get used to it feel of the face before giving a true assessment on it! But, give it a try, I think you might like it!

This is pretty high praise for a putter hoe like yourself. I’m very curious on the grip change question.

Nice thoughts and reviews. As it's been said it sounds like a very soft face so maybe not for me, but I'll try some putts with it as we never know til we try it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you want to hear the sound the insert makes, you can hear the sound in the video I uploaded on this forum. Not sure if a blade has a different sound though.

Arna:

So I bought a Putt-out this week specifically to run more testing on this putter throughout the winter. Set it up to start some 6ft putts and first putt out of the gate i hit it perfect and got it to stop.......about 100 putts later I got my second. :facepalm: I went through about 4 height changes today and settled in at 35.5”. The height adjustment is still super smooth and no play at all in the grip, definitely a well designed system. I will say that the Arna feels a hair too light. I Even though my spider limited is only 10 grams more in weight it does feel easier to keep on path than the Arna. I’m getting more used to the insert and feeling pretty comfortable inside 10 ft. Going to try some 10-15 putts tomorrow and see if I can dial things in a bit more.

I have the Anser model and I really love it. The feel is soft but it is so easy to dial in and it is so consistent. After I had the putter for a couple of rounds my regular playing partner told me my putting was way better lately. My three putts have become rare and lag putting is much improved and the only thing that has changed is the putter. It is just easy to get dialed in and my confidence while putting is helping me score better.

Fetch model

So, I got out for a bit with the Fetch.

Two things just continue to stand out when using this putter.

First, the multi-layer “Pebax” inserts are something like a multi-layer ball. One thing that continues to stand out is the soft, but responsive feel of the putter’s face on both the shorter and longer putts. On the short putts, you can easily dial in quickly on the practice green and that will make for a real nice round of confident short makable putts. During your longer or lag puts the multi-later face will give you plenty of speed and continued feel to really go after the whole. Leaving you some easier lag putting for your misses. Oh, and not to forget the Ping “TR face pattern” will give you consistency all thru the putter, toe hits, heel hits, or center strokes will all give you very equal distance and consistency.

Second, the adjustability is a thing of beauty. I think Ping has truly found a way to get EVERY golfer swinging the correct length shaft. When I googled about Ping and their reason for creating the adjustability feature, the statement was 8 out of 10 golfers do NOT use the proper length putter. This is costing those players strokes every round. With the solid construction of using the adjustable grip, Ping has given EVERY golfer that correct length. You simply just keep going up or down in length until the ball is perfectly placed for your eyes and comfortable standing. Yes, putter grip needs to be carefully chosen, but the pros greatly outweigh the cons on having this adjustable grip. Plus, could it be any easier then a simple turn of a key fob at the top of the putter grip? Don’t think so.

For anyone sitting on the fence in terms of trying out the Ping Sigma 2 putters, all I can say is you have to check this out. You will not find a putter with more technology, feel, or ease of use then the Ping Sigma 2.

Looks like my EXO Indy will be either handed down to my son or simply put on the market. I never thought I would switch putters, but the proof is in the pudding as they say. Gotta go with what works the best.

The Fetch has kicked the ER2 out of the bag. The roll of the Fetch is incredible. I had 3 very good rounds with it with one round 30 putts. It took some getting used to controlling distance, the ball seems to roll out more. But it's so awesome getting almost every putt close now.

Last edited:
Arna:

I took a Christmas shopping break at GG earlier today and they have the same Arna I am testing there and put it up against the b60 again this time on some 30ft puts. It’s wild how much less energy you need to put into the Arna to get the ball out there. With less of a stroke, the ball seems to roll as far as a solid hit with the milled b60. I feel like the b60 has more speed but the Arna has more roll. It seems like the Arna retains speed longer, maybe it’s just in my head but it seemed that way. It’ll be interesting to see how that will come into play reading breaks. I felt the b60 held the line better while the Arna was more prone to the minor imperfections in the path. Going to fire up the Ping app over the break and do so further testing.

Kicking this thread back to the top to see if anyone has given the Kushin C a test drive. I have 25+ rounds in with it so far and it has become the most reliable club in my bag, no contest. I plan on posting a more in depth review of my "long term" testing after I play again this weekend, including my move to a shorter playing length recently which was as easy as a few screw turns while at the practice green. Looking forward to seeing who converted to the center shaft setup.

Back