Odyssey Stroke Lab Putter Thread

The 1w is the one labeled double wide correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, gotta be what he’s referring to.

pardon my skim, but anybody coming to these after gaming an o-works putter with microhinge? i love my red 7s, but didn’t love the exo 7s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I will be in March. I currently use the marxman DB with microhinge and love it but the stroke lab tech just makes finding a repeatable stroke easier and weight in the hands and head bring the feel alive at impact.

pardon my skim, but anybody coming to these after gaming an o-works putter with microhinge? i love my red 7s, but didn’t love the exo 7s.

I can't help here unfortunately. My brother used a Microhinge putter last year and I'm really excited to get his feedback when I let him roll this.

I am. Spent time with the OWorks 7 last season. Close feel but I would say the Stroke Lab is more responsive to ball characteristics. For example I could tell easily when I would switch between CS and CSX without looking at the ball to figure out which was which. And I like that in a putter

anybody try the bgt stability putter shaft who can compare it to this new stroke lab setup? seems like a similar aesthetic, though i don't know enough about the tech in each to say whether it's similar as well.

anybody try the bgt stability putter shaft who can compare it to this new stroke lab setup? seems like a similar aesthetic, though i don't know enough about the tech in each to say whether it's similar as well.

MASSIVE weight difference between the two, fwiw. Stability is the same weight as a standard putter shaft (+/- 2-4g iirc)

Isn't this just another design from the "Counter Weight" technology that was already out there? I mean, modified of course.

MASSIVE weight difference between the two, fwiw. Stability is the same weight as a standard putter shaft (+/- 2-4g iirc)

meaning this new stroke lab is much heavier?

That's what i was going to say. The actual shaft sizes are different as well.

Isn't this just another design from the "Counter Weight" technology that was already out there? I mean, modified of course.

no and that's due to the head weight and shaft and grip being adjusted and not just one or two of the three. Normally someone just adds a weight plug in the butt end of the shaft but odyssey went with a lighter shaft + 10g more in the head + the back weighing in the grip.

no and that's due to the head weight and shaft and grip being adjusted and not just one or two of the three. Normally someone just adds a weight plug in the butt end of the shaft but odyssey went with a lighter shaft + 10g more in the head + the back weighing in the grip.

Ahh makes sense then. May have to give the #7 a roll here soon

I get that there's a unique story here, and the face insert is certainly unique, but...

If you start with a Toulon Atlanta, and you go from the stainless plate (7g) to either stainless (20g) or tungsten(40g) you're adding more weight to the head. Then superstroke counter core grips can do either 25g or 50g in the grip. Unquestionably that increases the overall weight of the club, but it seems like the results on the stroke would be similar.

FWIW I just came off the best putting year of my life with a combo like this (20g stainless weight + 50g in the grip), so I've seen what kind of difference this type of thing can make.

I get that there's a unique story here, and the face insert is certainly unique, but...

If you start with a Toulon Atlanta, and you go from the stainless plate (7g) to either stainless (20g) or tungsten(40g) you're adding more weight to the head. Then superstroke counter core grips can do either 25g or 50g in the grip. Unquestionably that increases the overall weight of the club, but it seems like the results on the stroke would be similar.

FWIW I just came off the best putting year of my life with a combo like this (20g stainless weight + 50g in the grip), so I've seen what kind of difference this type of thing can make.

At that point you’re making the entire putter quite a bit heavier. The story here is about making the entire system work together with head and grip weights designed to compliment each other, and make it easier to maintain a consistent stroke. You might be able to accomplish something similar using weights and counter balanced grips, but it’s a good bit harder without everything being designed as a system.

true but the stroke lab differs in that they made the shaft 75g instead of the heavier overall steel shaft. I for one was a big supporter of going with the heavier weight plate in the toulon atlanta because it brought the putter "alive" IMO and I think the same applies here. Pretty much providing the heavier feel at impact with a little overall balance.

At that point you’re making the entire putter quite a bit heavier. The story here is about making the entire system work together with head and grip weights designed to compliment each other, and make it easier to maintain a consistent stroke. You might be able to accomplish something similar using weights and counter balanced grips, but it’s a good bit harder without everything being designed as a system.
true but the stroke lab differs in that they made the shaft 75g instead of the heavier overall steel shaft. I for one was a big supporter of going with the heavier weight plate in the toulon atlanta because it brought the putter "alive" IMO and I think the same applies here. Pretty much providing the heavier feel at impact with a little overall balance.
These guys nailed it. Several of us asked similar questions...what's the big deal, it is just counter weighting. Nope. They are removing a bunch of weight in the middle not just adding it to each end. I found it to be a very subtle thing on the greens. I couldn't tell there was anything different going on (like I can w/ counter weighting a putter, which is my default). But it was just smooth and the putts were noticeably better.

The 1w is the one labeled double wide correct?

You know I need to look, you more than likely correct.

Exactly. It's not so much about throwing weight around to try and balance each other out, it's done more effectively to help balance the unit out as a whole.

These guys nailed it. Several of us asked similar questions...what's the big deal, it is just counter weighting. Nope. They are removing a bunch of weight in the middle not just adding it to each end. I found it to be a very subtle thing on the greens. I couldn't tell there was anything different going on (like I can w/ counter weighting a putter, which is my default). But it was just smooth and the putts were noticeably better.

I like the noticeably better part

This was one thing that Sean had talked to us about is a lot of companies talk about just the head and the weight of the head being altered, but they wanted to have a whole system like @dazeedmonds talked about. The whole system working together is what makes the stroke consistent, not adding weight to just the head or just to the grip if that makes sense.

I like that even more

Can I hush? I’m going to gush.

I love this putter. I carried this putter around like it was my baby. You can pry it out of my cold dead hands.

Can I hush? I’m going to gush.

I love this putter. I carried this putter around like it was my baby. You can pry it out of my cold dead hands.

It’s just another example to me where Callaway/Odyssey/Toulon is playing chess when everyone else is playing checkers

Right, my putter is definitely a bit of a sledgehammer, but the added weight has unquestionably improved my stroke.

And I totally get that not everyone wants to put with a sledgehammer :D

I can't imagine an improvement over what's already in my bag, but I'll still be rolling these as soon as I can anyway.

Did I see correctly that they brought back the #9 head shape?

Back