Odyssey Stroke Lab Putter Thread

The Stroke Lab putters are more than just a collection of different head shapes and grips or a routine refresh of a tried and true putter lineup. This time around the folks at Odyssey went right back to the drawing board and started with the question "Why are golfers not getting any better at putting?!" In fact, the data would show that as a whole, golfers are getting worse and worse at putting as the years go by. This question led Odyssey to the discovery that somehow putters have become all out of whack from a design standpoint. Heads are too light. Shafts are too heavy. Grips don't match heads and shafts.

Enter the Odyssey Stroke Lab.

The main idea behind Stroke Lab is to put the golfer back in control of their putting stroke by weighting the putter in such a way that it naturally improves tempo and encourages consistency. Weight is very carefully added to the head and to the grip and removed from the shaft in order to accomplish this, and the result is a putter that feels extremely natural and in control.

The EXO insert makes a return here as well as many of Odyssey's Tour-proven head shapes and neck styles. I was fit into a Stroke Lab #1 which is a very traditional Anser style blade putter with a plumbers neck and roughly 4:30 toe hang - something I've used for years now and am very comfortable with.
A quick blurb about me and my history with putters. I love putters. I've owned many putters from many manufacturers boutique and mainstream, and I've loved so many of them. That said, despite the dozens and dozens of putters that I've cycled through and continue to own I've NEVER been overly fond of any putter with an insert face. Going into The Grandaddy knowing that I will need to put an insert putter into play was certainly giving me some feelings of trepidation, but I was committed to giving everything a fair shot and went in with a positive attitude.

Instantly all my fear would prove unfounded. The EXO insert is as good an insert as I've ever felt and it masterfully blends a superior roll with a responsive feel. I've always felt that O-works felt completely dead and had no feedback, and previous inserts before that were always lacking in one way or another for me. It's such a personal thing when talking about sound, feel, and feedback so everyone's opinions will always differ and that's a great thing. All in all, I couldn't be happier with the EXO insert and IMO it's so good that I can't possibly imagine how Odyssey will even attempt to improve it going forward. It will sound like hyperbole but I really think that they've found "it" with this one.

The Stroke Lab #1 features 2 alignment aids; a single alignment line on the flange as well as a perpendicular aid in the form of silver paint across the entire top line against a black putter head. For me this added two-tone alignment aid is perfect since I absolutely cannot use an alignment line. The first thing I did upon receiving my putter was to take a sharpie to the flange line to minimize it, so I could focus on the leading edge to align my putts. Again, this is obviously very personal and I'm certainly in the minority here.

So how does all this combine in the end? For me, incredibly well! I found instant success on the putting greens while under pressure. Not just success in one area or another either but all across the board. My putting wasn't perfect (obviously) but it was very good. I only missed 1 putt inside 5 ft at The Grandaddy, and my lag putting was off the charts good. I hit multiple putts from another time zone to inches, and these were putts that if I had put them to 8 ft I would have been satisfied. I rolled in those pesky 4 footers with ease and regularity. I made enough 15-20 footers to have an impact on the matches.

It's sort of difficult to know what to attribute this success to. Is it the EXO insert? Is it the Stroke Lab tech/weighting? Is it the alignment aid? I don't necessarily have the specific answer but it also doesn't matter. The fact is that the parts combine to create the whole, and the whole is a putt making instrument even in incapable hands like mine. I really enjoy rolling putts with it and I think it's mainly due to the instant comfort level that I have with it. The face rolls the ball wonderfully and I find it really easy to align to my target. The weighting just feels 'right' and I'm pretty sure it has really improved the consistency of my putting stroke. At the end of the day, I'm making putts and that's what a putter is all about.

A couple months ago I wouldn't have believed that I would enjoy my time with an insert putter, but the new reality is that this putter could hold down the #1 spot in my lineup for the entirety of this season.
e1c2644a2529363d1e6e6b43c4544d80.jpg
3b63ae474ec92a050ed7a96be67b3342.jpg
c59885ae956b859a5784a7861770d54c.jpg
0836e796587154a4343c7fbbace5c3d9.jpg
07451df24786b03a0cc7f7f52342df64.jpg
48768b81abf87987b9efdeca8afa1989.jpg
049f56d8f4b0cd9ef71d3ba290846066.jpg
08879fdfea8b5dfdb22619ccedaabb1c.jpg

That said, despite the dozens and dozens of putters that I've cycled through and continue to own I've NEVER been overly fond of any putter with an insert face. Going into The Grandaddy knowing that I will need to put an insert putter into play was certainly giving me some feelings of trepidation, but I was committed to giving everything a fair shot and went in with a positive attitude.

Great thoughts on your putting experience and that’s a good looking putter.

To what I quoted above, I’m in the same boat. Inserts have never been my friend and they have just felt “off” to me. Seeing the construction of the Stroke Lab putters leads me to believe that has helped provide better feedback with this insert. Than other models.

I’m looking forward to your longer term thoughts.

Sorry if I’ve missed it, but does anyone know what the heads weigh? 360? And anyone also know what different sole weights you can buy? Cheers,
M

Sorry if I’ve missed it, but does anyone know what the heads weigh? 360? And anyone also know what different sole weights you can buy? Cheers,
M

I believe the headweights are different depending on shape, and there are not any weights to buy at this time.

Give me the marxmen with a bit of toe hang and I could game that

Any Grandaddy guys get an EXO with the stroke lab shaft?

That exo mini and marxmen are pure joy to putt with. Got a chance to roll both and I can't decide which to pre order in march. Each had their own pros and cons but each produced results that opened my eyes to exo materials/tech i previously overlooked.

The Stroke Lab putters are more than just a collection of different head shapes and grips or a routine refresh of a tried and true putter lineup. This time around the folks at Odyssey went right back to the drawing board and started with the question "Why are golfers not getting any better at putting?!" In fact, the data would show that as a whole, golfers are getting worse and worse at putting as the years go by. This question led Odyssey to the discovery that somehow putters have become all out of whack from a design standpoint. Heads are too light. Shafts are too heavy. Grips don't match heads and shafts.

Enter the Odyssey Stroke Lab.

The main idea behind Stroke Lab is to put the golfer back in control of their putting stroke by weighting the putter in such a way that it naturally improves tempo and encourages consistency. Weight is very carefully added to the head and to the grip and removed from the shaft in order to accomplish this, and the result is a putter that feels extremely natural and in control.

The EXO insert makes a return here as well as many of Odyssey's Tour-proven head shapes and neck styles. I was fit into a Stroke Lab #1 which is a very traditional Anser style blade putter with a plumbers neck and roughly 4:30 toe hang - something I've used for years now and am very comfortable with.
A quick blurb about me and my history with putters. I love putters. I've owned many putters from many manufacturers boutique and mainstream, and I've loved so many of them. That said, despite the dozens and dozens of putters that I've cycled through and continue to own I've NEVER been overly fond of any putter with an insert face. Going into The Grandaddy knowing that I will need to put an insert putter into play was certainly giving me some feelings of trepidation, but I was committed to giving everything a fair shot and went in with a positive attitude.

Instantly all my fear would prove unfounded. The EXO insert is as good an insert as I've ever felt and it masterfully blends a superior roll with a responsive feel. I've always felt that O-works felt completely dead and had no feedback, and previous inserts before that were always lacking in one way or another for me. It's such a personal thing when talking about sound, feel, and feedback so everyone's opinions will always differ and that's a great thing. All in all, I couldn't be happier with the EXO insert and IMO it's so good that I can't possibly imagine how Odyssey will even attempt to improve it going forward. It will sound like hyperbole but I really think that they've found "it" with this one.

The Stroke Lab #1 features 2 alignment aids; a single alignment line on the flange as well as a perpendicular aid in the form of silver paint across the entire top line against a black putter head. For me this added two-tone alignment aid is perfect since I absolutely cannot use an alignment line. The first thing I did upon receiving my putter was to take a sharpie to the flange line to minimize it, so I could focus on the leading edge to align my putts. Again, this is obviously very personal and I'm certainly in the minority here.

So how does all this combine in the end? For me, incredibly well! I found instant success on the putting greens while under pressure. Not just success in one area or another either but all across the board. My putting wasn't perfect (obviously) but it was very good. I only missed 1 putt inside 5 ft at The Grandaddy, and my lag putting was off the charts good. I hit multiple putts from another time zone to inches, and these were putts that if I had put them to 8 ft I would have been satisfied. I rolled in those pesky 4 footers with ease and regularity. I made enough 15-20 footers to have an impact on the matches.

It's sort of difficult to know what to attribute this success to. Is it the EXO insert? Is it the Stroke Lab tech/weighting? Is it the alignment aid? I don't necessarily have the specific answer but it also doesn't matter. The fact is that the parts combine to create the whole, and the whole is a putt making instrument even in incapable hands like mine. I really enjoy rolling putts with it and I think it's mainly due to the instant comfort level that I have with it. The face rolls the ball wonderfully and I find it really easy to align to my target. The weighting just feels 'right' and I'm pretty sure it has really improved the consistency of my putting stroke. At the end of the day, I'm making putts and that's what a putter is all about.

A couple months ago I wouldn't have believed that I would enjoy my time with an insert putter, but the new reality is that this putter could hold down the #1 spot in my lineup for the entirety of this season.

Watching you take a sharpie to your putter about 10 minutes after we got our new equipment was hilarious!

But I agree with you on the silver and black combo, it's a great alignment aid. I'm the same as you where I don't like the alignment line and took some black paint to mine. That silver and black helps get me set up really well.

I thought I'd throw this up here in case anyone is interested in seeing the roll. This was pretty rushed before my son's birthday party and I'm planning on doing some comparison videos to done other putters I have around.

[video=youtube_share;4hD-XQy4Ny4]https://youtu.be/4hD-XQy4Ny4[/video]

One thing I wanted to touch on in my initial review but forgot to is the stock headcover. This thing is absolutely a quality affair and a million times better quality than any other Odyssey cover I've ever owned. A nice plush interior and a strong magnetic closure compliment a nice material on the exterior. Stitching and piping appears to be of high quality as well. It's large enough that it entirely encloses my Stroke Lab #1 when closed.

Often when it comes to headcover quality time tells the story in the end so I'll continue to report back as this cover gets used more and more. I've been quite critical in the past of poor quality and/or poor fitting putter covers so it's only fair that I give this cover it's due.

For the guys that have the "large" grip, is there another grip on the market that you would compare it to? I have settled on the SuperStroke 2.0 grip as my grip of choice, was wondering if the new weighting system is compatible with that grip.

One thing I wanted to touch on in my initial review but forgot to is the stock headcover. This thing is absolutely a quality affair and a million times better quality than any other Odyssey cover I've ever owned. A nice plush interior and a strong magnetic closure compliment a nice material on the exterior. Stitching and piping appears to be of high quality as well. It's large enough that it entirely encloses my Stroke Lab #1 when closed.

Often when it comes to headcover quality time tells the story in the end so I'll continue to report back as this cover gets used more and more. I've been quite critical in the past of poor quality and/or poor fitting putter covers so it's only fair that I give this cover it's due.

I touched on just how nice the putter cover is in my review as well. Most magnetic covers don't have the strength that these magnets do so I usually end up sewing snaps onto them to keep from losing the cover while riding in the cart. At this point I don't feel there is ever going to be the need to do that with this cover. As you pointed out, the stitching, piping, cover material all appears to be of very high quality!

Interesting, sounds a lot like my Travis Mathew mallet cover, which looks and feels brand new two years later.

Cant believe no one went w/ the Tuttle!!??
I think I saw Clayton with one on his video with Kev in the 2018 Grandaddy thread.
Clayton did go with the Tuttle and as long as I get bday money in a few weeks I too will own one! I love these putters!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That double wide though!! Interest piqued!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love my doublewide!

A few pictures from the Odyssey website

StrokeLab shapes

9631a94c11915cca09559c5052afd25a.jpg

EXO with StrokeLab

1db1997267b2747595df4f63dd3a69c5.jpg

Great pictures that I had trouble finding on the site..thanks! I'm leaning towards the EXO 2ball or maybe the standard double wide..see below.

I did, but I won’t have it for a while yet. I went EXO instead of Toulon for my 2nd putter.

Which EXO did you get?

I love my doublewide!

Is it face-balanced or can it be face-balanced with a different shaft style?

Great pictures that I had trouble finding on the site..thanks! I'm leaning towards the EXO 2ball or maybe the standard double wide..see below.

Which EXO did you get?

Is it face-balanced or can it be face-balanced with a different shaft style?
That depends on the neck of the putter, whether it has toe hang or is balanced. From what I understand and according to Odyssey website the flowneck and the slant neck are necks that promote toe hang.

Give me the marxmen with a bit of toe hang and I could game that

Any Grandaddy guys get an EXO with the stroke lab shaft?

I went EXO as well for my other putter. Choose the 7, just love that shape and the back of the head also picks up the ball really easily....will come in handy for all my gimmies.

That depends on the neck of the putter, whether it has toe hang or is balanced. From what I understand and according to Odyssey website the flowneck and the slant neck are necks that promote toe hang.

Thanks..I had a 1W (Versa?) that was face-balanced, but I just couldn't get it to work for me. I'm a mallet guy, but I keep thinking about blades because I'm a lunatic. :banghead: I still have an EXO that I need to turn in a proper review once I get it configured properly.

Thanks..I had a 1W (Versa?) that was face-balanced, but I just couldn't get it to work for me. I'm a mallet guy, but I keep thinking about blades because I'm a lunatic. :banghead: I still have an EXO that I need to turn in a proper review once I get it configured properly.
I don't like true blades and I also like mallets. This is an in between. Kind of like a mid mallet. You should give it a try. If you like mallets you will like this one!

I don't like true blades and I also like mallets. This is an in between. Kind of like a mid mallet. You should give it a try. If you like mallets you will like this one!

I'll figure something out at some point and if I don't, I still have my 10+ year old 2-ball which is point-and-shoot for me. I kinda want to know if all of the inserts are the same height too.

Got out today to play a round Iowa golf in January ,wow. Greens were frozen solid till afternoon but my Stroke Lab Double Wide was spot on in either condition the balance and feel is incredible. Can’t wait for true roll and different speed
of greens in spring/summer golf.

Stroke Lab #1 was on fire today!
29 putts total with 4 birdies. Birdie putts were 10, 12, 5, and 15 feet. No 3-jacks!

Can you take a couple of pictures of the putter when you can. Interested to see the overall shape.

Little late but here you go.

1cabdc8f145ff5488443eb9f62608beb.jpg

a1da8da32134381653caa91f4909ed38.jpg

Back