Odyssey Stroke Lab Putter Thread

I think I might have goofed doing the two ball at the same time drill from a different thread last night. I got my SL 3 because I like the look of it, the weight, wanted to try a little softer insert, and overall I do like it. Turned out to be a little too soft, but a grip change decoupled some of that feel, and again, I like it.

The problem is that I told myself I would give it a fair shake. Only use it for a good stretch and really let the numbers bear out which is better. This one or my previous putter. And then last night I f'd it all up because we needed a second putter doing that drill.

I had mentioned in other threads that with the different shaft, weight distribution, and balance point it felt a little less stable to me on short putts and maybe a bit better on longer ones. Well I'm hoping the first couple weeks on the course this year re-convinces me of the worth of that. I'd never really put them side by side on shorter putts, and I like the feel of the heavier shaft from my O-works #2 waaay better. My stroke is just much steadier with it at that range. I think I originally felt like I was good enough inside of 10' that it wouldn't hurt me there as much as it might help me on longer putts. That theory feels familiar at least.

Anyway, thought I might ask here, has anyone decided against the stroke lab shaft in theirs? I have a strange feeling that a head swap on mine would be near ideal, but I don't want to jump the gun on it before I'm back out there making actual putts with it for a bit again.

I got my SL 3 because I like the look of it, the weight, wanted to try a little softer insert, and overall I do like it. Turned out to be a little too soft, but a grip change decoupled some of that feel, and again, I like it.

Just curious ... what grip did you get and what did you change it to?

Just curious ... what grip did you get and what did you change it to?

It had a stroke lab standard pistol, and I switched it to a Traxion Pistol GT 1.0. I didn't like the feedback from the all rubber combined with the softer insert.

It had a stroke lab standard pistol, and I switched it to a Traxion Pistol GT 1.0

I use a Pistol GT 2.0 at the moment.
Will be interesting to see how the SL Oversize works

Last edited:
My (Callaway preowned) Stroke Lab 3 putter is arriving tomorrow. I'm anxious to game it next week, weather permitting.

I'm hoping to get mine anytime today!
Looking forward to taking it to the course on Saturday.

Edit: It's here! Taking it to the course tomorrow.

Last edited:
Couldn't wait for Saturday so jumped at a chance to play 18 holes this morning.
Took the SL Three along quite hesitantly realizing that I haven't had any practice with it.

Holed my very first putt with it! 6 ft right inside line.
Holed my second putt with it! 8 ft straight middle.
Messed up on the next par 5 but putted for bogey from 35 ft - hit the flag and jarred out!
Playing with the SL is fun! Point and shoot!

All lag puts were easy to judge. Lining up the face is dead simple.
Had 7 misses that were just short or burning the edge.

I can confirm that the SL tech is for real. It's almost like cheating!
An interesting side note - It completely took the pressure off my short game.

Have to say that I am very happy with the SL Three!

Last edited:
Couldn't wait for Saturday so jumped at a chance to play 18 holes this morning.
Took the SL #3 along quite hesitantly realizing that I haven't had any practice with it.

Holed my very first putt with it! 6 ft right inside line.
Holed my second putt with it! 8 ft straight middle.
Messed up on the next par 5 but putted for bogey from 35 ft - hit the flag and jarred out!
Playing with the SL is fun! Point and shoot!

All lag puts were easy to judge. Lining up the face is dead simple.
Had 7 misses that were just short or burning the edge.

I can confirm that the SL tech is for real. It's almost like cheating!
An interesting side note - It completely took the pressure off my short game.

Have to say that I am very happy with SL # 3!

Hi have the Toulon Vegas, love the stroke lab shaft but hated the grip, changed that to tour Golf Pride Tour SNSr pistol grip and flying with this putter now

Is it normal that the THP discount doesn't apply to the new Stroke Lab arm lock putters at Budget Golf? Being left-handed I was considering giving this a go this year as options for us lefties are limited, to say the least. I was happy to see a left version this year! Thanks:)

Question for those that changed grips. I've got the oversized grip on my #1. I want t go to the pistol grip. I'm looking online and it appears that the pistol grip is 77 grams while the oversized grip is actually lighter at 65.5. Anyone made the same switch and, if so, what effect did it have on the feel of the putter and it's swingweight? Thanks in advance.

Question for those that changed grips. I've got the oversized grip on my #1. I want t go to the pistol grip. I'm looking online and it appears that the pistol grip is 77 grams while the oversized grip is actually lighter at 65.5. Anyone made the same switch and, if so, what effect did it have on the feel of the putter and it's swingweight? Thanks in advance.
You just have to have the same general weight +/- 5 grams either way I believe they said. So as long as the grip+weight combo is between 100-110, you won’t really notice anything different.

I would weigh the grip if you can when you take it off and either switch the weight in the butt end to counteract it, or try to find a grip with the same or similar weight.

You just have to have the same general weight +/- 5 grams either way I believe they said. So as long as the grip+weight combo is between 100-110, you won’t really notice anything different.

I would weigh the grip if you can when you take it off and either switch the weight in the butt end to counteract it, or try to find a grip with the same or similar weight.

This.

Except I wouldn't use the word "counter" when talking about this putter. You'll ruffle feathers like that.

I played my first round with the Stroke Lab 3 putter I just got. I made a few putts, but it will take a little time to get comfortable. Its heavier than my Odyssey Versa, and the impact feels kind of "dead" right now. I know that I will get better with it after a few rounds.

It is a gorgeous putter.

In my round yesterday I used this more and more from off the green, really hard and fast conditions allowed for it, even from say 30-40 yards out and man this thing is deadly, it just feels so good and get the ball rolling so well. I think I holed a bunch of feet of putts, even daggers in the match to seal the deal on some holes. This thing isn't going anywhere!

Played my second round with my SL Three and it was a mixed bag. After a really hot start a few days ago, this time I played on a course that has some really fast greens and I found myself missing a couple short as well as missing a few to the left. I guess a few others have also had the same issue and I'm hoping this is just a matter of getting used to the feel of this putter. I am transitioning from a SS Pistol GT 2.0 grip so there's a little bit of that going on as well.

Some pros on the SL Three:
- great look at address
- very easy to line up the putter face
- probably the best lag putter I've used
- superb finish and build quality

And some cons:
- grip could do without the huge Odyssey script
- seems to pull left a little for me
- also left a few putts short

@shanewu Just wondering if you are still gaming the SL Three?
Do you know why the insert is offset to right (see below) as against being across the entire face?

d85fc2b1024e7e4799da8ea974f9ee2b.jpg

@shanewu Just wondering if you are still gaming the SL Three?
Do you know why the insert is offset to right (see below) as against being across the entire face
It started out mostly hot for me but got cold eventually and I haven’t played it much the last few months

I assumed the insert is like that to match what is the actual sweet spot of the putter since the line still centered with the insert

If you are missing consistently left, I wonder if it could be too much too hang for you? Someone smarter than me about putter fitting may need to comment on that.

I ended up returning my Stroke Lab #3 putter to Callaway Preowned. I used it for two rounds, and was trying to talk myself into liking it.
For me, it was a bit too heavy, I got zero feedback from the stroke, and distance control and accuracy was not as good as my Versa (which is back in the bag).
I know its a great putter, has gotten rave reviews, but it wasn't for me.

Fun comparing these two. The microhinge ⭐️ Is definitely a firmer sounding insert, and ALMOST has a milled putter type sound, but comes out soft like an insert. Pretty crazy. Also shows just got soft that microhinge really did sound, while I originally thought it was giving decent sound compared to my o-works insert.

8E9E7661-74A3-4F94-8A99-63C3E81B77F4.jpeg

Fun comparing these two. The microhinge ⭐ Is definitely a firmer sounding insert, and ALMOST has a milled putter type sound, but comes out soft like an insert. Pretty crazy. Also shows just got soft that microhinge really did sound, while I originally thought it was giving decent sound compared to my o-works insert.

View attachment 8931293
I may need to check out the new models for that insert change/shift. Did the insert change with the newer models? Or is it due to the head shape/construction?

I may need to check out the new models for that insert change/shift. Did the insert change with the newer models? Or is it due to the head shape/construction?
All of the stroke lab black and triple track putters have the microhinge star

I totally missed that detail! No I need to try a R Line Arrow!
All of the stroke lab black and triple track putters have the microhinge star

Back