Odyssey Stroke Lab Putter Thread

I agree, the grips on the SL and the new Exos are garbage. Really poor quality paired with what is an otherwise great package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s funny - my Toulon came a couple weeks ago and the first time I gripped it, I really didn’t like how it felt. Yet it’s the same grip as my stroke lab, just in green instead of yellow. I think the grip has gotten a better feel over time as it’s been used but agree my initial impressions weren’t great - especially when putting without a grip on. Doubly so for the oversized grip, which I absolutely did not like at all.

I’m unfortunately hundreds of miles away from my clubs otherwise I’d compare the feel between the two right now to better describe it.

It’s funny - my Toulon came a couple weeks ago and the first time I gripped it, I really didn’t like how it felt. Yet it’s the same grip as my stroke lab, just in green instead of yellow. I think the grip has gotten a better feel over time as it’s been used but agree my initial impressions weren’t great - especially when putting without a grip on. Doubly so for the oversized grip, which I absolutely did not like at all.

I’m unfortunately hundreds of miles away from my clubs otherwise I’d compare the feel between the two right now to better describe it.

I think those that like Super Stroke grips will like what Odyssey has here. Those that like something with different feel or totally different style, will struggle with it. Based on materials and manufacturing, its pretty darn similar to some popular options out there.

I think those that like Super Stroke grips will like what Odyssey has here. Those that like something with different feel or totally different style, will struggle with it. Based on materials and manufacturing, its pretty darn similar to some popular options out there.

That’s a good comparison I think. Has that kind of tacky feel. That’s tempered a bit on the stroke lab and it feels really comfortable in hand. I was just surprised how different the Toulon felt when I was comparing them on course. I think the SS is a good comparison feel wise, especially the large grip. That’s a setup I’ve never liked, so it’s probably not surprising I didn’t like it at all.

I like the pistol grip better than the SuperStroke pistol that came on the OWorks. It’s 1000x more durable. That grip looked beat up after a few weeks.

After putting with the Toulon for a couple rounds, I think one of the underrated aspects of these putters are the versa color scheme. I like the grey/black setup more than the white and black from an aesthetic standpoint and I think it absolutely helps with alignment.

This also remains my favorite ever insert.

My one thing there, is much like the SS grips durability was not great for me during the review. Grip is a little beat up.

After putting with the Toulon for a couple rounds, I think one of the underrated aspects of these putters are the versa color scheme. I like the grey/black setup more than the white and black from an aesthetic standpoint and I think it absolutely helps with alignment.

This also remains my favorite ever insert.

Agreed, and as I mentioned in the review they got the finish right this time, it looks higher quality up close and in hand. I dig the finish and color contrast a lot.

My one thing there, is much like the SS grips durability was not great for me during the review. Grip is a little beat up.

Interesting - that’s not something I’ve seen. And I’ve mostly been using a 4 way bag.

I have been critical about Super Stroke for that, and I spoke to Bob Lamkin for a while in regards to materials at the PGA Show this year. Its part of the beast I guess. If you want that feel, its nearly impossible to make it crazy durable. With that said, I have a grip like this on my putter for 2 seasons now and even with all of the travel it has held up well. I do think the sheen that is present does wear some and make them look more dingy (technical term) than that of a rubber compound.

I have been critical about Super Stroke for that, and I spoke to Bob Lamkin for a while in regards to materials at the PGA Show this year. Its part of the beast I guess. If you want that feel, its nearly impossible to make it crazy durable. With that said, I have a grip like this on my putter for 2 seasons now and even with all of the travel it has held up well. I do think the sheen that is present does wear some and make them look more dingy (technical term) than that of a rubber compound.

Of for sure, it’s pick your poison.

You want durability or lighter weight with softer feel? Though I think some like GP have started using some rubber compounds that allow more ‘give’ to the grips (putter) and give back a lot of the softer feel some want.

My issue too is I’m a trap for durability testing, I play way more than most and am on the course 5+ days a week, so a grip is gonna get truly worked over with me.

Interesting - that’s not something I’ve seen. And I’ve mostly been using a 4 way bag.

5 way here and in and out of the bag every day since I got it, wear spots are present on the edges of the paddle.

I’m not trying to pick a fight on it with anyone, but given the overall quality of the design and tech, I still feel the grip is the low point.

I like a bigger grip, too, but I think the quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Has the grip ripped, deteriorated, or started breaking down? Just curious as the basis behind you saying the quality being subpar? Can you elaborate?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Has the grip ripped, deteriorated, or started breaking down? Just curious as the basis behind you saying the quality being subpar? Can you elaborate?

Compound breaking down, finish flaking, marks where hands were placed, all after minimal / removal from bag use. Not just making stuff up. I’m otherwise thrilled with the putter, but I replaced with another grip of the same weight.

Compound breaking down, finish flaking, marks where hands were placed, all after minimal / removal from bag use. Not just making stuff up. I’m otherwise thrilled with the putter, but I replaced with another grip of the same weight.

Gotcha. I have not had that problem at all on both of my Strokelab putters (DoubleWide and Las Vegas) and both have been removed from the bag a bunch, moreso the DoubleWide because I have had it longer. I'm curious if you just got a bad grip or if anyone else is experiencing this because I haven't heard from anyone on Team THP 2018 that has had this issue.

Gotcha. I have not had that problem at all on both of my Strokelab putters (DoubleWide and Las Vegas) and both have been removed from the bag a bunch, moreso the DoubleWide because I have had it longer. I'm curious if you just got a bad grip or if anyone else is experiencing this because I haven't heard from anyone on Team THP 2018 that has had this issue.

It may have been man - I hope that’s the case.

Wow I haven’t seen any of that.

It may have been man - I hope that’s the case.

My Vegas hasn't seen as much action, just pulling in and out of the bag and using at home because it's pretty new and I haven't had time to use it but the DoubleWide has seen some course time going in and out of the bag and in and out of the bag at home as well. I am super careful when pulling clubs out of my bag though, but not that that should make a difference. I hope it's just yours as well too because I really enjoy the grip. I would say it's the least impressive part of the package but it's hard to compete with all the design and technology of the rest of the putter, but I still really like it other wise.

Wow I haven’t seen any of that.

I must have had a bad one - I was surprised. I actually quite liked the feel of the oversized one, but it looked like it had been thru the wringer after like 2 weeks.

Does not take away from the fact that, try as though I might, the exo marxman s is firmly in the bag. I just cannot believe how easy it is to roll, align, and make putts. The SL tech is real, my tempo and pace are absolutely great with this thing.

I must have had a bad one - I was surprised. I actually quite liked the feel of the oversized one, but it looked like it had been thru the wringer after like 2 weeks.

Does not take away from the fact that, try as though I might, the exo marxman s is firmly in the bag. I just cannot believe how easy it is to roll, align, and make putts. The SL tech is real, my tempo and pace are absolutely great with this thing.

I wish I had another grip here for you to try to see if the experience held. We will be with the leaders of Odyssey at the THP event this weekend and I’m sure grip will come up.

When we had the chance to pick one of these for the Odyssey event the grip was one thing I debated about. Currently I have the SNSR contour and really enjoy it, and did see that was an option available to choose on Odyssey’s website (along with a ton of others). I ended up going to Dick’s the day I put my order in, and rolled a few SL models with the stock grip. I actually came away really liking the feel of the stock oversize grip, and ended up ordering a Marxman with that grip. Can’t wait to try it out this weekend, but just the few minutes in the store I liked the feel. Enough so to go with that instead of the Tour SNSR. I’ll have more thoughts for sure as I get to put it through the paces.

This is why I love this forum though. We get ALL the feedback from all sides.

When we had the chance to pick one of these for the Odyssey event the grip was one thing I debated about. Currently I have the SNSR contour and really enjoy it, and did see that was an option available to choose on Odyssey’s website (along with a ton of others). I ended up going to Dick’s the day I put my order in, and rolled a few SL models with the stock grip. I actually came away really liking the feel of the stock oversize grip, and ended up ordering a Marxman with that grip. Can’t wait to try it out this weekend, but just the few minutes in the store I liked the feel. Enough so to go with that instead of the Tour SNSR. I’ll have more thoughts for sure as I get to put it through the paces.

I did the same, but came away unimpressed with the stock grip. Maybe it’s me being a SS fan and I’ve gotten used to that grip, but the stock grip never felt comfortable.

I ordered my Marxman with a SS Pistol GT Tour

I’m 100 % not sh!tting on this putter, because I absolutely love it. Just my observations on my experience !

What grip are you guys replacing these with?

I’m 100 % not sh!tting on this putter, because I absolutely love it. Just my observations on my experience !

Totally get it dude. I had the same experience in my homepage article.

as it should be. not every release will please everyone, but I love how for the most part differing opinions can foster good converstaion.

No need to worry dude, i don't think anyone took it that way. you are just throwing out what worked and what didn't in a way that's easy to understand.

Back