2019 Toulon Putter Thread

put a 7 gram weight in the garage atlanta and made a bunch of putts today from quite a variety of distances, nice to have a bit of confidence over a putt.

I had a really good day with the SL Portland today, including making a long, downhill snake on 18 for birdie - a hole I've only birdied twice before in about 300 rounds playing the hole.

First round out with Palm Beach today. Threw it right in the fire with only a few putts rolled on the putting green before the round. Love the alignment and it just feels right, the feel seems right and most importantly I saw the ball rolling end over end which I love to see. Speed was decent early in the round but after a ball change I couldn't get the feel right again. Greens were lightning quick and going to a harder ball after rolling a soft one for the first 9 proved to be a challenge.

I still have the Columbus in the bag, definitely the best putter I have every used. It gets the ball rolling quickly and smoothly every single time.

I keep eying the Las Vegas some kind of hard!!!

SL Austin will see its first course action this weekend--can't wait!

Sanzabar;n8899762 said:
I keep eying the Las Vegas some kind of hard!!!
Doooo it! It's my favorite #7 ever!

After putting the Las Vegas in the bag for a little over a month, I'm officially giving up on it. Something about it just didn't click with me, as I could never rope in distance control. Ironically enough since putting my O-Works Red 7 back in the bag, I've had zero issue with distance control. It was a fun experiment though. Gorgeous putter.

JonD;n8900028 said:
After putting the Las Vegas in the bag for a little over a month, I'm officially giving up on it. Something about it just didn't click with me, as I could never rope in distance control. Ironically enough since putting my O-Works Red 7 back in the bag, I've had zero issue with distance control. It was a fun experiment though. Gorgeous putter.

I had similar issues for some reason. Gorgeous putter, I just couldn’t get the feel sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DNice26;n8900309 said:
I had similar issues for some reason. Gorgeous putter, I just couldn’t get the feel sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it a weight issue compared to what you previously rolled?

I've had the Vegas in the bag for the past few rounds, and I'm seeing a lot more success with it than I was the first time out. I think I'm running into the same issue I often do with a larger mallet, and having my hands too far back with the "tongs" from the putter on the ground. Since I've moved my hands forward a bit I've been making better contact and putting the ball on the right line.

Feel continues to be incredible, and this does put a really nice roll on the ball. I'm happiest with my lag putting with this. Time will tell whether it beats the Stroke Lab Three, but frankly this is a fantastic problem to have.

I had enough time today to mess around with a stroke lab putter on the putting green before my round. There is a different feel to them compared to my Columbus with a regular steel shaft. Kinda hard to describe but the balance was just perfect. Looking forward to December to see what I may be fit into putter wise.
Once we got our course I was using my Columbus today for 28 putts total.

Bagged the Austin yesterday and today. I had a so-so day 1, adjusting to the softer feel off the face than the Handsome One. But I putted quite well today; I was all over the hole with great speed control. Very pleased.

I had probably the most insane putting round of my life over the weekend at my company golf outing. The San Diego was stupid good for me. Made 12 of our 14 birdie putts, all more than 8 feet long. It was unreal. One of my playing partners mentioned how he loved the sound of contact from just watching so I let him roll a few with it and he loved it as well

I finally got my putter (Columbus) back from Callaway repair after almost a month. All I wanted was a plug to increase length to 35", a new grip, and check the lie and put it back to std. There were issues with the repair department not know how to handle this since it has a tour serial number, so it just sat there. Long story short, I got it back and the increase to 35" was spot on, even though I choke down it felt so much better. The stroke lab shaft is amazing especially on feed back. I know exactly if I hit it off center on right on just by the sound. Played in a scramble over the weekend and made 2 eagle putts for our team both of them were in the 13 foot range. To me, the stroke lab is a game changer paired with the Columbus putter.

The Palm Beach Stroke Lab is nice, much better feeling in my opinion than the original Toulon's. The shape although a half moon is different than the #9 which I like. I will admit I don't love the stock SL pistol grip. I've had it out for 3 rounds now and I feel like I haven't made a single putt though many have been close haha

Last edited:
wedgeman;n8903578 said:
I finally got my putter (Columbus) back from Callaway repair after almost a month. All I wanted was a plug to increase length to 35", a new grip, and check the lie and put it back to std. There were issues with the repair department not know how to handle this since it has a tour serial number, so it just sat there. Long story short, I got it back and the increase to 35" was spot on, even though I choke down it felt so much better. The stroke lab shaft is amazing especially on feed back. I know exactly if I hit it off center on right on just by the sound. Played in a scramble over the weekend and made 2 eagle putts for our team both of them were in the 13 foot range. To me, the stroke lab is a game changer paired with the Columbus putter.

did they install a stroke lab for you? Or did you already have it in there?

jdtox;n8905622 said:
The Palm Beach Stroke Lab is nice, much better feeling in my opinion than the original Toulon's. The shape although a half moon is different than the #9 which I like. I will admit I don't love the stock SL pistol grip. I've had it out for 3 rounds now and I feel like I haven't made a single putt though many have been close haha

I’m a very big anti stock grip with these. It’s the biggest and really only knock about them I can find so far. To be fair I almost always switch stock grips out, but these are especially bad IMO.

cbaker2882;n8905648 said:
I’m a very big anti stock grip with these. It’s the biggest and really only knock about them I can find so far. To be fair I almost always switch stock grips out, but these are especially bad IMO.

But doesn't changing the grip affect the weighting with the Stroke Lab?

jdtox;n8905650 said:
But doesn't changing the grip affect the weighting with the Stroke Lab?

Just need a grip that weighs about the same. There is a 10g variance for them that they stated will keep everything correct for the grip/weight combo of 100-110g total that will work just fine. I had the Toulon deep etch’s on mine to start but have since moved on to super stroke traxion’s. All have worked fine weight wise and overall way better than the stock grip for me

cbaker2882;n8905645 said:
did they install a stroke lab for you? Or did you already have it in there?

I already had it in just wanted to increase the length by 1".

wedgeman;n8905713 said:
I already had it in just wanted to increase the length by 1".

Ahh ok. I was about to call to try to send in all of my odyssey’s haha. I also took a stroke lab I have and put it in my Columbus and it’s fantastic

cbaker2882;n8905734 said:
Ahh ok. I was about to call to try to send in all of my odyssey’s haha. I also took a stroke lab I have and put it in my Columbus and it’s fantastic

Played today and it just feels great with the extra 1 inch. Even though I choke down on the 35", the 34" just felt horrible stroke and aim wise which is why I went to 35". Just something about the Columbus head with the Stroke Lab shaft that just make it a match.

After trying the Memphis and Palm Beach again at a PGATSS, I sort of wish my Portland would magically transform into one of those. :D I can see why so many people really love the Memphis.

I put a Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite on my Palm Beach today, and it’s now much better than with the stock oversize grip, which I couldn’t get comfortable with. The Winn is so well shaped that I can grip it ridiculously lightly, makes it much easier to keep on line with my particular stroke. Sunk a couple of 25-30 footers today.

To be honest though, certainly so far, I think my Betti #28 Slotback would be the putter I’d use if my life depended on it.

Attachments

• photo37408.jpg
    photo37408.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • photo37409.jpg
    photo37409.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • photo37410.jpg
    photo37410.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Back