2019 Toulon Putter Thread

ive had the Las Vegas for about a month now and within 20 feet I love this thing. My round on Saturday I saved about 5 pars by making putts between 5 ft and 10 ft...now the bad part of those par putt saves were results of horrible lag putting. Its definitely an adjustment period but my lag putts have all been short. I don't think I've blown one by the hole yet

My stroke is definitely slower and as a result much smoother. Within 20 feet I'm noticing putts definitely start on path much more consistently than any putter ive played before. With longer putts however I feel as if im making a huge backswing and blasting the putt, but to my surprise its always short. its something ill have to work on at the putting green for sure

Moral of the story I guess is to put my approach shots closer lol... Overall tho im really happy with the new stroke lab design

It's funny. I had some struggles with the Vegas when I first got started. I was missing everything right, and just didn't feel like I was making putts I should, and the Stroke Lab Three was working for me.

Went through a bit of a cold streak with the putter, so put the Vegas back in the bag and just worked on the stroke a bit. And it's funny, I feel so much more comfortable with the Vegas than I had. It makes sense to me, since I'd been a mallet user for years, but some really bad stretches of putting led to me being fit into a blade. I think my stroke has gotten back to where it was, and I've had a lot of putts that were just perfectly on line the last couple times out. The only thing I need to get used to is pace. I find the Toulon face to be MUCH hotter than the Stroke Lab.

i'm sure it's been covered throughout this thread, but now that many of last year's grandaddy participants as well as this year's odyssey event participants have had some extended time, i'm wondering if someone can compare and contrast what you like (or don't like) about the odyssey stroke lab putters vs the toulon stroke lab putters. weighting, performance of the insert, feel/sound, distance control, etc.

as i daydream daily about what i will get fit into later this year, i keep coming back to what the toulon putters can offer that my gamer tuttle stroke lab doesn't.

I honestly prefer the feel of the Toulon off the face. The feel and sound at impact is literally perfect to me. It is also hotter than the Stroke Lab line, but in contrast, this makes misses a little more volatile at times.
In regard to forgiveness, I lean towards the White Hot Microhinge insert. It's a bit slower off the face but gives a true roll every time. The shaft tech is no different so I'd say it mostly comes to down visual preference at address and stroke tendencies. Shorter strokes tend to work better for me with the Toulon while the inverse is true of the SL line. I'm enjoying all of them honestly. I only wish my Garage Memphis was from the new full face milled line with the Toulon Stroke Lab shaft tech.

I'm loving my old Memphis right now and am putting as good as I ever have inside 5 ft, but I'm sort of tempted to grab one with Stroke Lab weighting for that little extra edge.

ArmyGolf;n8876599 said:
I'm loving my old Memphis right now and am putting as good as I ever have inside 5 ft, but I'm sort of tempted to grab one with Stroke Lab weighting for that little extra edge.

does and how does your old memphis differ from anything you were fit into at the grandaddy?

McLovin;n8876554 said:
i'm sure it's been covered throughout this thread, but now that many of last year's grandaddy participants as well as this year's odyssey event participants have had some extended time, i'm wondering if someone can compare and contrast what you like (or don't like) about the odyssey stroke lab putters vs the toulon stroke lab putters. weighting, performance of the insert, feel/sound, distance control, etc.

as i daydream daily about what i will get fit into later this year, i keep coming back to what the toulon putters can offer that my gamer tuttle stroke lab doesn't.

I think with what the stroke lab shaft is doing by helping the face not twist, and also taking some vibration out due to the carbon fiber, it has more of a positive impact with the Toulons IMO. It’s also down to just face preference in general. The more i play with the white hot microhinge, the more I like it. But if you’re used to or prefer a milled face, obviously the Toulon might be better. It’s all about what gives you the best distance control personally.

McLovin;n8876603 said:
does and how does your old memphis differ from anything you were fit into at the grandaddy?
Differs in every way. Its face balanced, non stroke Lab, and has a long flange line.

My putting went to crap a few months ago so I threw everything against the wall and this is what stuck. It will change again I'm sure.

McLovin;n8876554 said:

I feel like my experience has been a little different than some of my teammates. Bare in mind that I picked what is probably the least forgiving putter in the lineup which probably plays a role.

The Stroke Lab shaft doesn't seem as noticeable in the Toulon is it did my SL One. With the One I could immediately tell a difference and still do whenever I pick it up.

Milled vs insert has been interesting as the Toulon face puts a much faster and truer roll on the ball. I absolutely love the roll it provides but I've struggled with distance control. Again that could partly be from the lack of forgiveness in mine. Short putts I'm deadly with this where with the One I haven't been and I attribute it to the great roll.

While the insert in the SL One is the best feeling insert I've ever tried, I prefer the milled face and feel. It's a very unique feeling face and can be addicting.

Each has had it's trade offs and I've stuck mostly with the Toulon because of the short putt performance and feel preference. I'm going to be putting it head to head with the Double Wide and it will be interesting to see that result soon.

McLovin;n8876554 said:

This one is really tricky for me just because the two head styles are so different.

I’d honestly be equally happy with either in the bag. I am someone who can adjust pretty quickly to speed, etc. after a few rounds. One thing the Stroke Lab has going for it is the Versa paint scheme. I’m a believer in that it really works. Feel? Maybe I give the edge to the Toulon but it’s not a runaway.

What I’m saying is you can’t go wrong with either.

Trying to add a little personalization to my Las Vegas. The stamping isn’t that deep so I put two coats on this one and it came out pretty good. Not bad for my first attempt at paint filling

4dde5c4f0fcec1300571f174897ae6fc.jpg

mikeg_74;n8878644 said:
Trying to add a little personalization to my Las Vegas. The stamping isn’t that deep so I put two coats on this one and it came out pretty good. Not bad for my first attempt at paint filling

Looks awesome, man!

shanewu;n8878653 said:
Looks awesome, man!

Thanks dude. i was a little worried, but it came out better than expected.

mikeg_74;n8878644 said:
Trying to add a little personalization to my Las Vegas. The stamping isn�t that deep so I put two coats on this one and it came out pretty good. Not bad for my first attempt at paint filling

That is smooth!

mikeg_74;n8878644 said:

That green just pops and looks great!!!! :clapp:

mikeg_74;n8878644 said:

Very nice Mike! That color really adds some character to it.

going to pop the A7 weight into the Atlanta and see how it feels, since putting is all I can do and might be a good thing to practice a bunch prior to Idaho since putting is always the deciding factor in any round for me..

Putting one of my stroke lab shafts in the Columbus has been fun. Basically makes it a 2019, and it has been working real well for me during practice

Two quick questions.

What benefits do you see from the Toulon face milling other than sound / feel?

Any guess what Callaway would charge to replace an existing shaft with a Stroke Lab?

potbunker;n8879558 said:
Two quick questions.

Any guess what Callaway would charge to replace an existing shaft with a Stroke Lab?

Unless it’s a current model stroke lab or Toulon that comes with SL shaft as the stock option, odyssey won’t install a SL on prior model putters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

potbunker;n8879558 said:
Two quick questions.

If two putters have the same steel, that’s the main thing to different millings are sound/feel. I don’t see any benefits to any millings other than that from any brand I’ve ever tried. I do enjoy the Toulon diamond milling though.

As of now, unless something has changed very recently, it’s not an option to buy a stroke lab shaft or get a current putter re-shafted with a stroke lab.

potbunker;n8879558 said:
Two quick questions.

It looks like the shaft question has been answered but as far as the milling it puts a crazy good roll on the ball.

sent my Columbus in to have the shaft lengthened about an inch and a tad more upright lie.

So I took the recommendation of moving the ball back in my stance a little tonight during league and it paid off. I really enjoyed the Vegas tonight!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back