New Scotty Cameron Phantom X Putters

I need to go roll the 7 again. The site lines are so appealing and I'm struggling badly with alignment right now.

I changed the stock pistolero grip on my phantom 12 and have to say it is a very nice putter.
I put a new grip I recently stumbled upon called a Flat Cat pistol. It has a really unique shape to it. It is a pistol shape in the top hand and a flatish shape in the lower hand. Really enjoying the setup so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to say that so far this year the 6 has been one of the best parts of my game. 29 putts on Sunday, 30 the round before that and when I take my time and focus I feel like every putt has a chance to go in.

Folks may not love the look, but I enjoy looking down on it so for me it works. Extremely glad I gave it a go!!

I just found a good deal on an X12 last week and took the plunge. I am going out today for the first round. I will share some insights once I am done. These are in the "look much better in person" camp for me as I agree the photos don't do them many favors. The craftmanship is excellent as it is on nearly every Cameron putter I have seen. They took some interesting tricks to get the weight wide and back as the bracings for the silver part have circles milled out of the inside edge. This is a face balanced putter. When I get a face balanced putter I always like to check the stability. I balanced this one on my finger and bounced a ball off of various points of the face to see how much the ball jarred the face. The answer is none at all over about an 1-1/2" of the center of the face and not much anywhere else. I had to get behind the hosel or way out on the edge of the toe to really jar the face. Looking forward to taking this out for a spin tomorrow.

Also this is my 4th putter I now own. I think I may be building a putter collection. They are the one club I never get rid of.

So I wanted to review the Phantom X12 a bit more here since I have taken it out for 27 holes so far. If you are strait back strait through type putter and you've never tried a mallet this might be the one to try. The weighting is really good. My first few putts I blasted this thing past the hole getting used to the mass, but now that I am dialed in I am finding much less effort for putts and my distance control seems to be a lot better. I imagine my 3 putt % will decrease significantly. Not sure about alignment and aiming yet. I will be watching my 1 putt % and total putts per round #'s closely to see if if it's a net gain or give a little get a little.

Anyone else game one of these X12's? It's so distant consistent compared to my other blade putters. I am never far from the cup on long putts. Starting to roll some of them in as well as I am adjusting to alignment.

I am searching for a good face balanced putter. Been rolling a stroke lab 2 ball in the last week and.... OK. I saw the X12 at a local GG and rolled it a bit. WOW! But $349.... pricey for a used one.
for those that have the X12-You like it? What’s your favorite part of it? The insert on the stroke lab is so soft.
let me know either here on DM. I need something

I’m going to go with one of these not sure which one yet,
6str
8 maybe..

I am searching for a good face balanced putter. Been rolling a stroke lab 2 ball in the last week and.... OK. I saw the X12 at a local GG and rolled it a bit. WOW! But $349.... pricey for a used one.
for those that have the X12-You like it? What’s your favorite part of it? The insert on the stroke lab is so soft.
let me know either here on DM. I need something
Check out the Wilson Infinite. Probably can get it for even less than $100 now. https://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/putters/game-improvement/infinite-putter-bean-men-s

The Bean for sure is face-balanced and amazing feel. A big-box manager suggested I try it last summer after like you I found The Stroke Lab, then a Sigma 2, both too soft. I was rolling Spiders, Scottys, EvenRol in store before he came up to me.

I haven't hit the X12 (it's too big for me visually anyway). But in the bag now is the Scotty Phantom X 5.5, Slight arc that is really better for me. It kicked out the Wilson as I bought a driver on vacation, it didn't work out and I needed to use the credit on another club before I left for home. The Phantom X 5 (not the 5.5) is designed to minimize arc. https://www.scottycameron.com/putters/phantom-x/phantom-x-5/

Last edited:
An 8 is on the way, won out in the putter fitting and gonna try it out on the course. Have not had a scotty since the Kombi belly putter that was ruled illegal haha

Over the past 1.5 months ive picked up a phantom x5 and last week a phantom x6 center shaft. Stability Tour shaft in both

I prefer the look of the x5 and in the 4 rounds ive used it ive really noticed a difference in forgiveness that ive been lacking from a blade.... The x6 was a steal at $350 new w/ the stability tour. I always wanted to try center shafted bc in theory it is what I should be playing for my stroke. So far in my basement green the results are very promising

Im not sure im a fan of the sound at impact. The aluminum ting noise is much different than what im used to....but im very happy moving forward with both these putters as permanent gamers and I have no plans to look for a new putter anytime soon

and I definitely agree with most people that the colors are pretty ugly. Both of mine are custom painted

Over the past 1.5 months ive picked up a phantom x5 and last week a phantom x6 center shaft. Stability Tour shaft in both

I prefer the look of the x5 and in the 4 rounds ive used it ive really noticed a difference in forgiveness that ive been lacking from a blade.... The x6 was a steal at $350 new w/ the stability tour. I always wanted to try center shafted bc in theory it is what I should be playing for my stroke. So far in my basement green the results are very promising

Im not sure im a fan of the sound at impact. The aluminum ting noise is much different than what im used to....but im very happy moving forward with both these putters as permanent gamers and I have no plans to look for a new putter anytime soon

and I definitely agree with most people that the colors are pretty ugly. Both of mine are custom painted
does the 6 center shaft setup to the left for you?
when i placed the putter at the floor and let it sit there, the face always closed to the left, i felt like i always had to spin the grip a little to the right to get it to setup correctly.
ultimately it was a nooooooooooooooooo go for me and an awful experiment.

does the 6 center shaft setup to the left for you?
when i placed the putter at the floor and let it sit there, the face always closed to the left, i felt like i always had to spin the grip a little to the right to get it to setup correctly.
ultimately it was a nooooooooooooooooo go for me and an awful experiment.
I totally know what you mean. To my eye it does appear like the face points left....but from experience and a putter fitting on a SAM PuttLab I actually have my face slight open at address (wasn't with this putter but the blade I used at the time)

So to me it does appear closed, but in reality its actually square. Ill take some pics with the x6 and x5 together later. Its my first experience with a center shafted putter so I just assume thats how they look

I totally know what you mean. To my eye it does appear like the face points left....but from experience and a putter fitting on a SAM PuttLab I actually have my face slight open at address (wasn't with this putter but the blade I used at the time)

So to me it does appear closed, but in reality its actually square. Ill take some pics with the x6 and x5 together later. Its my first experience with a center shafted putter so I just assume thats how they look
i literally could not make a 5 footer, i was left, right, left, right, i couldnt even burn the edge, it was pull, push, every time, i tried opening it a little after a pull and just pushed, i could not get comfortable.
i was dead set on thinking i have a straight back straight forward stroke so i went to this putter, i tried so hard. of course its me im sure, cant blame the putter...

i literally could not make a 5 footer, i was left, right, left, right, i couldnt even burn the edge, it was pull, push, every time, i tried opening it a little after a pull and just pushed, i could not get comfortable.
i was dead set on thinking i have a straight back straight forward stroke so i went to this putter, i tried so hard. of course its me im sure, cant blame the putter...
Thats my exact reasoning for trying it also. I think/feel im straight back and forward. Massive toe hang putters are awful for me

Back