Ben Hogan Precision Milled Putters

Ok got out and played 3 holes and then rolled putts for about 15 minutes or so on the last hole. My initial thoughts on the BHB02:

Looks: This putter looks great. The black finish is matte and very well done, there are no defects or imperfections on mine. I really like the logo on the face as well. The headcover is fine, nothing fancy, but it looks good and will protect the putter.

Feel: I have never had a milled putter before, but I have rolled them in the local Golf Galaxy several times over the years. This feels just as good as any milled putter I have used including Cameron's. The billet of steel the blade is milled from is forged instead of cast so I suspect that this gives it the very solid yet soft feel that I am getting

Sound: the sound is probably a lot of the feel and the sound of this putter is quite satisfying. Just a nice thunk. No click and no ping (pun intended).

Performance: I picked this putter because the Hogan website said this is the putter for golfers who use a strait back and strait through putting motion. They were right I hit maybe 40-50 putts and I never felt like the ball went off the line I was hitting it on. Another performance note for me personally was that it seemed like this putter maybe had a bigger sweet spot than my Ping B60. None of the putts felt like they jarred the face sideways, which probably has a lot to do with why they were all on the line I hit. This could be shaft design or sweet spot, not sure but I really enjoyed the putter today.

I will get out some more this week and post some more thoughts. I will also be happy to answer any questions.

A few thoughts as I have a few minutes to spare while shuffling kids around. The putter looks nice. I like the black finish. Not sure on it's durability yet. Compared to my Cameron Newport 2, it is a similar design in concept. There definitely are differences though.

I'll get into those details later tonight yet. In the meantime, here are some more pictures that I took at lunch.

263ae9b7b0ae0357cf888e25e3bec95e.jpg
ba757ab7a2c4351eeaaac824d63d1148.jpg
2121091341eb1fd365236525915463ee.jpg
c9e7802c044addc9103d3adb83dda010.jpg
0a5be3bba587ee2c250a81aa850f5e8c.jpg
065e4bafd3ef034550743a00f80e3d4a.jpg
332d20b2ec294bcefa4c60af8066012e.jpg
e0fed14b9969e84b54b3a0de224c5c47.jpg
5d55a4304aba249c0aa54cbcb3328308.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quick comparison of the face milling compared to the Cameron. Patern looks identical. Not quite as deep as the more recent Cameron's but deeper than some of the older models
2ee242f70e7f40023f1c7176ec68fbc0.jpg
02bc1f51ebe5d800677df83aac55412d.jpg

Love the matte black finish on these. Thanks for the great pictures guys!

Those putters look awesome!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I apologize in advance. I promised a more detailed write up regarding my initial thoughts and got a little carried away. I typed this up in word and am pasting it in this post. Time for my DDP Yoga and bed time.

BHB01 Initial Thoughts (Ramble Alert)

When I found out that I was one of the ones selected to test and review the Ben Hogan putters, I was excited (and still am). My first opportunity to really engage and drive conversation within the community that I have just become a part of. I have been following a lot of the testing and event threads. To be honest, there are so many that it was a lot to take in and make sense of everything. The one common thread they all share was the quality of the information shared. I started thinking to myself how I wanted to compile and present my thoughts and opinions. Then it dawned on me. I am reviewing a piece of equipment that cannot really be measured by anything other than what you see with your own eyes, feel between your hands, and think between your ears. There is no launch data that I can put together to prove how and why this may or may not be better than anything else out there. I can’t come out and say that this club is giving me extra yards off the tee, hitting less into a green, or getting me to par 5’s in two. It’s a putter. A solid, one piece milled putter. 34” long, 2 degrees of loft, and you swing it at what…5mph? It is the most personal piece of equipment in the bag. People develop relationships with these things. Some play the same putter for decades. Others, have a vast collection. To top it off, it is a design that has been done by every player in the market space for the better part of 6 decades. The classic Anser blade. I’ve got my work cut out for me…

Rather than trying to rack my brain to find a way to quantify performance differences between one blade putter to the next. I have decided that my contribution would be best served trying to highlight what can be the deciding factor when one is going out into the wild on a hunt for their next putter. Feel, craftsmanship, and build quality. I don’t want to say that if you have hit one blade putter, you have hit them all. From a performance standpoint, they all perform very similarly (the outliers being special milling/groove patterns which I have had little experience with). But, where it matters most (with your eyes, between your hands, and between your ears), these qualities can be the deciding factor. When you are standing over a 6 foot putt to win your match, tournament, skin, etc… the name of the game is confidence.

As I mentioned above. The putter is an extremely personal piece of equipment. What inspires confidence in my putting game may do the complete opposite for others. So, let’s get this out of the way. When I am looking for a new putter, there are a few check boxes I need to have met. First, and most importantly, the putter has to feel like it’s transferring the energy to the ball. I don’t like the high pitched click that some putters offer. To me, it feels like the ball is coming off the face too hot and I cannot judge contact very well. What I want to feel is the moment in time where the ball is sticking to the face of the club as the energy is transferred from putter to ball. Not a hollow mushy feeling. It has to be dense and deep in tone. Soft, but firm enough to know I am not leaving the ball short. Second, I have to like what I am looking down at. Simple lines, compact shape, the ability to allow me to focus on the ball and not the putter itself. Third, I will classify as the little things. These are the things that are probably the most personal. The nitpicky stuff. How long is the neck, how high does the toe sit, how thick is the face, how symmetrical is the design. For these items, I almost have to see the putter in hand as an entire package to see if all of these design elements work to fill that last check box.

So, that is how I judge the putters I purchase. It will be the same criteria that I judge and review this BHB01 with. The only disclaimer I will add, is that these are just my thoughts and opinions. I couldn’t possibly expect my judgement criteria to translate to everyone. I also know that being a direct to consumer sales model, the likelihood of being able to see these in hand are very slim. I will get my DSLR out and do a photoshoot of sorts in a more controlled setting to hopefully give a good visual representation. With that being said, on with it I suppose.

Let’s be honest. In the world of putters, the Anser blade is by far the most iconic. Everyone makes one. They all put their own elements in it to some degree. But, at some level, they are all extremely similar. There is only so much technology that can be put into a milled putter of this design. At the end of the day, a blade putter will require a solid stroke. For some, they can be intimidating. For others, they can present a warm familiar feeling of putters that they grew up playing. The BHB01 accomplishes exactly that. To me, it presents itself as a very good entry to a timeless design. Behind the ball, it looks the part. Sleek lines, classic design elements, and a very subtle finish allowing you to focus on the ball.

At first glance, the black finish is of good quality. It does its job. There is no glare whatsoever, it allows you to really focus on the ball, and it looks pretty bad ass. What is yet to be seen is how durable it is. In the limited time that I have had it out and around the house, it did seem to attract dust and scuffs. Up to this point, they have all come off with a lick of the thumb and some elbow grease. I will know more once I get this thing out on the course and it starts coming in contact with the sand on and around the greens. I am tentatively pleased and won’t worry about it until I see a problem. Just saying it seems that it could be susceptible to a little more wear than other black clubs.

It looks like an Anser/Newport 2 style head with the flat bumpers and slightly longer blade. The BHB01 is more narrow than my most recent putters. But, I would hardly say it’s an issue. Would I prefer if there was a little more meat on the bone? For sure. But, I wouldn’t let it stop me from giving this serious consideration. I like sleek lines and simplistic designs. With that being said, I think the edges of this putter could use a bit of softening. Not a lot. But, they are some pretty hard lines. Maybe a little too much of a good thing I suppose. The plus is that since the head is a nice black finish, it’s hardly noticeable unless you are giving it a good look over.

The face milling on this putter is quality. It is the same milling pattern as the modern Scotty Camerons. A little deeper than the old Studio Select line and not quite as deep as most recent models. In what felt like a never ending journey to find the perfect feel, I feel that the closest I have ever come was with a deep milling pattern. How that translates to this head is yet to be seen. The manufacturing process, materials used, and finish may give me that feeling without the need for such aggressive face milling.

Coming from a Circle H Cameron with 2 20gram weights, I knew this would feel lighter. And it does. But, there are times where I feel like I have lost some feel with my heavier putter. Our greens can be pretty quick and a lighter putter may be just what the Dr. ordered.

Those are my initial thoughts. If you made it all the way to the end of this ramble, I applaud your commitment. I apologize in advance. We are having one of the worst Winters/Springs in recent memory and still have quite a bit of snow on the ground. Supposed to hit 60 this weekend, so I am hoping that takes care of the majority of it and the courses start opening up in the next week or two. I really want to get this on course and put it through its paces to paint a better picture for you all, but it may be a little while for that yet. In the meantime, I will be rolling it on a Birdie Ball putting green in my basement. I would hardly make any judgements based on that. But, if there are any questions, I can sure try my best to address them.

I apologize in advance. I promised a more detailed write up regarding my initial thoughts and got a little carried away. I typed this up in word and am pasting it in this post. Time for my DDP Yoga and bed time.

BHB01 Initial Thoughts (Ramble Alert)

When I found out that I was one of the ones selected to test and review the Ben Hogan putters, I was excited (and still am). My first opportunity to really engage and drive conversation within the community that I have just become a part of. I have been following a lot of the testing and event threads. To be honest, there are so many that it was a lot to take in and make sense of everything. The one common thread they all share was the quality of the information shared. I started thinking to myself how I wanted to compile and present my thoughts and opinions. Then it dawned on me. I am reviewing a piece of equipment that cannot really be measured by anything other than what you see with your own eyes, feel between your hands, and think between your ears. There is no launch data that I can put together to prove how and why this may or may not be better than anything else out there. I can’t come out and say that this club is giving me extra yards off the tee, hitting less into a green, or getting me to par 5’s in two. It’s a putter. A solid, one piece milled putter. 34” long, 2 degrees of loft, and you swing it at what…5mph? It is the most personal piece of equipment in the bag. People develop relationships with these things. Some play the same putter for decades. Others, have a vast collection. To top it off, it is a design that has been done by every player in the market space for the better part of 6 decades. The classic Anser blade. I’ve got my work cut out for me…

Rather than trying to rack my brain to find a way to quantify performance differences between one blade putter to the next. I have decided that my contribution would be best served trying to highlight what can be the deciding factor when one is going out into the wild on a hunt for their next putter. Feel, craftsmanship, and build quality. I don’t want to say that if you have hit one blade putter, you have hit them all. From a performance standpoint, they all perform very similarly (the outliers being special milling/groove patterns which I have had little experience with). But, where it matters most (with your eyes, between your hands, and between your ears), these qualities can be the deciding factor. When you are standing over a 6 foot putt to win your match, tournament, skin, etc… the name of the game is confidence.

As I mentioned above. The putter is an extremely personal piece of equipment. What inspires confidence in my putting game may do the complete opposite for others. So, let’s get this out of the way. When I am looking for a new putter, there are a few check boxes I need to have met. First, and most importantly, the putter has to feel like it’s transferring the energy to the ball. I don’t like the high pitched click that some putters offer. To me, it feels like the ball is coming off the face too hot and I cannot judge contact very well. What I want to feel is the moment in time where the ball is sticking to the face of the club as the energy is transferred from putter to ball. Not a hollow mushy feeling. It has to be dense and deep in tone. Soft, but firm enough to know I am not leaving the ball short. Second, I have to like what I am looking down at. Simple lines, compact shape, the ability to allow me to focus on the ball and not the putter itself. Third, I will classify as the little things. These are the things that are probably the most personal. The nitpicky stuff. How long is the neck, how high does the toe sit, how thick is the face, how symmetrical is the design. For these items, I almost have to see the putter in hand as an entire package to see if all of these design elements work to fill that last check box.

So, that is how I judge the putters I purchase. It will be the same criteria that I judge and review this BHB01 with. The only disclaimer I will add, is that these are just my thoughts and opinions. I couldn’t possibly expect my judgement criteria to translate to everyone. I also know that being a direct to consumer sales model, the likelihood of being able to see these in hand are very slim. I will get my DSLR out and do a photoshoot of sorts in a more controlled setting to hopefully give a good visual representation. With that being said, on with it I suppose.

Let’s be honest. In the world of putters, the Anser blade is by far the most iconic. Everyone makes one. They all put their own elements in it to some degree. But, at some level, they are all extremely similar. There is only so much technology that can be put into a milled putter of this design. At the end of the day, a blade putter will require a solid stroke. For some, they can be intimidating. For others, they can present a warm familiar feeling of putters that they grew up playing. The BHB01 accomplishes exactly that. To me, it presents itself as a very good entry to a timeless design. Behind the ball, it looks the part. Sleek lines, classic design elements, and a very subtle finish allowing you to focus on the ball.

At first glance, the black finish is of good quality. It does its job. There is no glare whatsoever, it allows you to really focus on the ball, and it looks pretty bad ass. What is yet to be seen is how durable it is. In the limited time that I have had it out and around the house, it did seem to attract dust and scuffs. Up to this point, they have all come off with a lick of the thumb and some elbow grease. I will know more once I get this thing out on the course and it starts coming in contact with the sand on and around the greens. I am tentatively pleased and won’t worry about it until I see a problem. Just saying it seems that it could be susceptible to a little more wear than other black clubs.

It looks like an Anser/Newport 2 style head with the flat bumpers and slightly longer blade. The BHB01 is more narrow than my most recent putters. But, I would hardly say it’s an issue. Would I prefer if there was a little more meat on the bone? For sure. But, I wouldn’t let it stop me from giving this serious consideration. I like sleek lines and simplistic designs. With that being said, I think the edges of this putter could use a bit of softening. Not a lot. But, they are some pretty hard lines. Maybe a little too much of a good thing I suppose. The plus is that since the head is a nice black finish, it’s hardly noticeable unless you are giving it a good look over.

The face milling on this putter is quality. It is the same milling pattern as the modern Scotty Camerons. A little deeper than the old Studio Select line and not quite as deep as most recent models. In what felt like a never ending journey to find the perfect feel, I feel that the closest I have ever come was with a deep milling pattern. How that translates to this head is yet to be seen. The manufacturing process, materials used, and finish may give me that feeling without the need for such aggressive face milling.

Coming from a Circle H Cameron with 2 20gram weights, I knew this would feel lighter. And it does. But, there are times where I feel like I have lost some feel with my heavier putter. Our greens can be pretty quick and a lighter putter may be just what the Dr. ordered.

Those are my initial thoughts. If you made it all the way to the end of this ramble, I applaud your commitment. I apologize in advance. We are having one of the worst Winters/Springs in recent memory and still have quite a bit of snow on the ground. Supposed to hit 60 this weekend, so I am hoping that takes care of the majority of it and the courses start opening up in the next week or two. I really want to get this on course and put it through its paces to paint a better picture for you all, but it may be a little while for that yet. In the meantime, I will be rolling it on a Birdie Ball putting green in my basement. I would hardly make any judgements based on that. But, if there are any questions, I can sure try my best to address them.

Enjoyed reading that. For info on the finish, you can read my take in the link in the first post. It has the info there.

Enjoyed reading that. For info on the finish, you can read my take in the link in the first post. It has the info there.

I haven't had the chance to hold the Ft. Worth irons in hand. Is the finish exactly the same as their black version? That being the case, I think it would hold up pretty well. I have seen used sets up for sale and they all appear to wear very well for a black finish.

I haven't had the chance to hold the Ft. Worth irons in hand. Is the finish exactly the same as their black version? That being the case, I think it would hold up pretty well. I have seen used sets up for sale and they all appear to wear very well for a black finish.

Check out the link in the first post of this thread. I go into a lot of detail about the finish of the putter and what is used and how it is not really a finish.

Check out the link in the first post of this thread. I go into a lot of detail about the finish of the putter and what is used and how it is not really a finish.

Ah. It is the same as the irons then. Glanced through it this morning and didn't catch the part about it being the same finish they have used in the past. In my defense, I haven't had my morning coffee yet :yawn:

Guess what?

BHB03.JPG

Something was delivered to my office today. Yes, that is stuff on my desk covering up some family photos. Work is not over yet, and I have family time planned for tonight. However, I'm stoked. I will see what is inside later so I can give my initial thoughts... initially.

Guess what?

View attachment 38565

Something was delivered to my office today. Yes, that is stuff on my desk covering up some family photos. Work is not over yet, and I have family time planned for tonight. However, I'm stoked. I will see what is inside later so I can give my initial thoughts... initially.
We need box content pictures ASAP!

It was family night after all but I feel the same way. I’m excited to share. So here I am, notice the smile:

unbox2.jpg
JOKING! That is my Son and Father. I shared with my Father and we made plans for this weekend. I hope to be able to share some of his thoughts as well. My three year old who was my official unboxer? Well, he got stuck on the bubble wrap and we had to secure the putter shortly after. Anyways...

Initial Thoughts:
This is a nice looking putter, really nice. I never thought it would replace the one in my bag, and that has not changed. However, I do not feel any guilt on my entry but I am anxious to do a good job for everyone. The opportunity THP and Ben Hogan Golf have given isn’t lost on me (I hope). This putter can putt and will.

The Ugly:
The grip does not fit. This putter is an inch below standard length (at 34”) and this might have caused an issue. The diameter of the shaft and grip are not snug at the bottom of the grip and there is a visible gap. You can move the rubber. This is not an issue for me, because I would use a different grip but it should have been addressed or at minimum built up with tape. Does not seem to effect the feel, and it might be specific to this putter because of the flow neck and having been cut down shorter.

Bgrip.jpg

The headcover materials. It is functional but I’m over velcro and polyurethane. I would game something else despite my bias towards Hogan’s signature style.

HC.jpg
I was surprised this headcover is dark blue and not black. I guess I missed the memo. The pictures do not show this well.

What’s To Like (so far):
Well most everything really. Again this is a nice looking putter, really nice. I like how the finish appears. I like the shaft band (which is black). I feel like where the putter head and shaft meet up is smooth and well fit, which is a big deal for me on a flow neck. Most of all, I love the way this putter frames the ball.

frame.jpg

And yes you can use the cavity to pick up balls from the ground.

pickup.jpg

Obviously, this is an initial reaction. I was only able to squeeze out 30 minutes on a practice green last night. I'll follow up some more once I get to use this putter. PM or follow up with any questions. I will try to get a few better pictures, especially of milling details. I needed better light.

Last edited:
It was family night after all but I feel the same way. I’m excited to share. So here I am, notice the smile:

View attachment 38580
JOKING! That is my Son and Father. I shared with my Father and we made plans for this weekend. I hope to be able to share some of his thoughts as well. My three year old who was my official unboxer? Well, he got stuck on the bubble wrap and we had to secure the putter shortly after. Anyways...

Initial Thoughts:
This is a nice looking putter, really nice. I never thought it would replace the one in my bag, and that has not changed. However, I do not feel any guilt on my entry but I am anxious to do a good job for everyone. The opportunity THP and Ben Hogan Golf have given isn’t lost on me (I hope). This putter can putt and will.

The Ugly:
The grip does not fit. This putter is an inch below standard length (at 34”) and this might have caused an issue. The diameter of the shaft and grip are not snug at the bottom of the grip and there is a visible gap. You can move the rubber. This is not an issue for me, because I would use a different grip but it should have been addressed or at minimum built up with tape. Does not seem to effect the feel, and it might be specific to this putter because of the flow neck and having been cut down shorter.

View attachment 38581

The headcover materials. It is functional but I’m over velcro and polyurethane. I would game something else despite my bias towards Hogan’s signature style.

View attachment 38582
I was surprised this headcover is dark blue and not black. I guess I missed the memo. The pictures do not show this well.

What’s To Like (so far):
Well most everything really. Again this is a nice looking putter, really nice. I like how the finish appears. I like the shaft band (which is black). I feel like where the putter head and shaft meet up is smooth and well fit, which is a big deal for me on a flow neck. Most of all, I love the way this putter frames the ball.

View attachment 38583

And yes you can use the cavity to pick up balls from the ground.

View attachment 38584

Obviously, this is an initial reaction. I was only able to squeeze out 30 minutes on a practice green last night. I'll follow up some more once I get to use this putter. PM or follow up with any questions. I will try to get a few better pictures, especially of milling details. I needed better light.

Great pictures and initial thoughts. In regards to the grip, in my time 3 or 4 years ago experimenting with SS grips, I saw the same gap sometimes. Bothered me also so would build up the very bottom of the grip to fill the gap.

I didn't notice the grip on mine. Will check it out. The good news, is since it's a putter and won't be subjected to a lot of force, it shouldn't be an issue. It is also going to have plenty of tape holding it on closer to the butt of the shaft. As I am typing this out, I am thinking back to past SuperStroke grips that I have used and I want to say that it wasn't uncommon to have a gap at the base of the grip like that.

In regards to the headcover, I would classify it as adequate. It looks nice and understated. It isn't a really high quality construction like say a Bettinardi or Cameron grip. But, it will protect the head and look good doing it.

I am curious as to what putter you currently use.

I am curious as to what putter you currently use.

The first thing I ordered this year, after a couple month of browsing, was the putter I currently use. It is a Toulon Austin Garage with a flange line for sight aid, 34" in length, the same standard of 70º lie angle and flow neck (H|6). Pictures are in the wrong thread about the garage '19 that is scheduled to be opened up this month and can be FOUND HERE

The grip I use is the SNSR Contour Pro, and the headcover I use is this one:

AHC.JPG

I might have name issues, but honestly do feel like it was made for me. I've had it only since January, but use almost daily. It got it's first minor blemish of employment last week when I was picking up a wedge.

I mentioned face balanced in my original review because I am a strait back strait through player. I went out to play 3 holes in my backyard course this evening and hit the flagstick from 25' off the green and I drained a 6 footer for par and a 5 footer for bogey. This thing nails the line I choose. When I got back to the garage I balanced it on my finger and it was dang near level from what I could tell so I wanted to take a picture to show how balanced this face really was. I got this one. To take the picture I had to wait about 45 seconds before it actually stopped rolling back and forth because the weight is so balanced. I think that is a sign of the craftmanship that they hit the mark for what they tried to accomplish.
224cd598031d65155b13b055aba10549.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

AWWWWWWWW YEAH!

Guess who got this one out to roll yesterday? THIS GUY!

Definitely have some initial thoughts I'll throw down here, but also going to have some HQ photos to put up soon once I get done editing them a little bit.

1) Yes, its hard to screw up a classic shape like the BHB01, but its still worth pointing out that Hogan avoided doing that. It's got the sharp/hard lines/edges that you expect with it, I prefer a slightly softer look, but like I said it hits the classic criteria.

2) I like the branding. They kept it clean, and to the point. It DOES demind me a lot of the Cleveland Classic putters, but, the branding/engraving is 1000 times better done. The Signature and the BH medallion logo are what they should use on EVERYTHING.

3) Tri-Sole!

4) The face milling is pretty significant, not as "sharp" edged as I expected in hand, but its good. For me, it doesn't look like the milling on a boutique putter necessarily, but it doesn't look bad either.

5) Impact feel is good. Nice, muted, thump. No high pitch, no awkwardness, just a good sound one would expect given the milling, yet not as harsh as I anticipated with my prior DBM finish experience.

6) Finish is nice. DBM is always going to be a nice durability touch, but, I almost feel like its lacking a little "pop" if you will, its almost too muted/plane/tame finish wise on the design.

7) It is a blade putter. It balances as such, it rolls as such. It isn't going to cover up any putting flaw.

I'm intrigued still early on, I think there is a lot good going on here, but my personal though still comes to the price. I have a LOT of high end putters, I have owned even more all across the price spectrum. I ask myself, is this a $250.00 putter, and I'm not sure. I just really think that had they hit the $199.00 point, its a whole different conversation. Now, I know some HATE the price discussions, but, I think its an important piece of the puzzle here.

Enjoying everyone's thoughts so far. Thanks all

AWWWWWWWW YEAH!

Guess who got this one out to roll yesterday? THIS GUY!

Definitely have some initial thoughts I'll throw down here, but also going to have some HQ photos to put up soon once I get done editing them a little bit.

1) Yes, its hard to screw up a classic shape like the BHB01, but its still worth pointing out that Hogan avoided doing that. It's got the sharp/hard lines/edges that you expect with it, I prefer a slightly softer look, but like I said it hits the classic criteria.

2) I like the branding. They kept it clean, and to the point. It DOES demind me a lot of the Cleveland Classic putters, but, the branding/engraving is 1000 times better done. The Signature and the BH medallion logo are what they should use on EVERYTHING.

3) Tri-Sole!

4) The face milling is pretty significant, not as "sharp" edged as I expected in hand, but its good. For me, it doesn't look like the milling on a boutique putter necessarily, but it doesn't look bad either.

5) Impact feel is good. Nice, muted, thump. No high pitch, no awkwardness, just a good sound one would expect given the milling, yet not as harsh as I anticipated with my prior DBM finish experience.

6) Finish is nice. DBM is always going to be a nice durability touch, but, I almost feel like its lacking a little "pop" if you will, its almost too muted/plane/tame finish wise on the design.

7) It is a blade putter. It balances as such, it rolls as such. It isn't going to cover up any putting flaw.

I'm intrigued still early on, I think there is a lot good going on here, but my personal though still comes to the price. I have a LOT of high end putters, I have owned even more all across the price spectrum. I ask myself, is this a $250.00 putter, and I'm not sure. I just really think that had they hit the $199.00 point, its a whole different conversation. Now, I know some HATE the price discussions, but, I think its an important piece of the puzzle here.

I am on the fence in regards to price discussion. At the end of all of this, I think I will have to ask myself the question of whether or not I would pay $250 for this putter. At this point, I am not quite sure. Once I get it on real grass, I will be able to really see what I think. I think being priced as they are in a direct to consumer model, they will have an uphill battle getting these in the hands of consumers since they won't be able to try them before committing. They are still $100 plus cheaper than the retail milled putter juggernaut that is Scotty Cameron. But, there are other players in the game like Cleveland who offer a pretty good product at a reasonable price.

One thing I want to know. I have had blade putters in the past and currently I only have two in my possession other than this Hogan. A Newport 2 and a 2.5. When I was rolling this on my putting mat, I noticed I was mentally having a hard time finding the center of the face at first. After taking a closer look, I noticed that the bumpers aren't actually the same length. The heel side bumper is smaller than the toe. It was fine when I started focusing on just lining up the sight line. Just a matter of adjusting visually to the putter. In the other blade putters you have, are they typically symmetrical in that aspect?

I do like how low to the ground this sits. The tri-sole is a nice touch.

I just emailed our pro and it sounds like they are targeting next week for the range to open. Course is typically a few days after. So, real golf is around the corner.

Great updates so far guys! I'm still awaiting delivery of the BHM01 mallet, so I can't wait to jump in with in hand testing. Maybe they are shining mine up a bit more, after hearing Jman's comments!

I'm coming from a Cleveland Classic 1 blade, and I've always played a blade style putter. I've been working a lot of my stroke over the winter, just trying to keep it consistent and make solid contact. It seems with the Cleveland I have to really get into an uncomfortable position to make a consistent stroke that produces smooth, solid contact. In the past, I struggled a lot with distance issues, mainly because I was all over the face, never hitting the sweet spot. With the practice this winter, I feel I've made a lot of progress.

On to the Hogan. I've wanted to try a mallet putter for a while now, but don't care for some of the crazy shapes going on. The Hogan mallet, IMO, looks great. It's exactly the type of mallet I would have gone with, had I gone shopping for one. Looking at pictures, it seems like it will be great to look down and hit a putt. This will be my first new putter, as I always played with hand me downs or the latest model from Play It Again. I can't wait to test the milling on the putter, and the feedback it provides.

I'm also very excited to try to Super Stroke grip. It's been something I've been intrigued by since a buddy of mine let me try a putter with one on it.

I will get a full 18 in today or tomorrow so....more to come with a real round rather than more practice!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Spent some more time with this one on the course yesterday.

The fact that I don’t have a whole lot that stood out to me is actually a very good thing. I’ve been playing a plumbers neck blade for a bit now and this one has been pretty plug and play for me.

The feel avoids being clicky which is MASSIVE for me, and the roll is as expected from an Anser style blade.

I do still thing the matte of the DBM teeters on being almost TOO subdued at times, but it makes like so easy when it comes to durability so it’s a fair trade I suppose.

I’m not a SuperStroke guy, so I’ll not hold that against Hogan, it’s a logical choice after all to use the most popular putter grip out there as your stock option, something many will love I know.

Just got done putting on my mat in the basement. This putter is so much lighter than what I've been playing recently. And I'm starting to think that may be a good thing. I'm still trying to get used to the asymmetrical design of the head. Almost have to treat it like a heel shafted putter.

I rotated between the Hogan, the Cameron, and the Spider X. So far, I think the lighter weight of the Hogan is allowing me some good touch. When I'm off on putting, it's typically because I'm jacking everything too hard. So far I'm digging the change.

So far, my biggest gripe is the sound. It is a little clickier than my ideal audible feedback. But, it isn't terrible. Dead center, there's no issue. Off the toe a bit and it feels harder. Probably because the milling isn't as deep. I'll reserve final judgement on that until I get get it outdoors and hit some real putts. Could be a totally different story at that point.

Back