Ben Hogan Precision Milled Putters

After a detour, the BHM01 arrived last night! I was able to check it out, and roll a couple inside after I got the kids down.

Looks: First thing that stands out to me in the quality of the black finish. The finish is fantastic, no blemishes at all, just a nice flat black color. The white Ben Hogan lettering and alignment aid really compliment the dark black finish, and helps you get the ball lined up as well. The putter head cover is also pretty good looking. Unlike the blade, the mallet cover has more white material, and the BH logo is prominently displayed on the top. Overall, I'm very impressed with the initial look of everything that I received. The fit and finish seems very good. I did not have the issue with gaps under the grip, like AWSTYN has. I will follow with pictures hopefully shortly.

Feel: The first thing I noticed, when I put this down and gave it a light swing, is how balanced it felt. It was easy to take back straight, and continue on a good straight path forward through the ball. I always felt like I had to adjust side to side movement on my old Cleveland, but this just felt right. I went 1" longer than my Cleveland, and this also helped me get into a good position. The first couple of putts I rolled were short of my target, but once I got used to it I started to get more consistent. I think the initial short hits were because this is a lot softer feeling that my Cleveland. I think it will just take a little time to get dialed in, but as others have said, I didn't have any putts where I ask myself what the heck just happened, because I blew it by, or made it halfway there. I think the feedback provided is great, and the balance is such that each shot rolls well, even if you aren't right on center. I can't wait to get this out and try it on real green.

Overall: I've been working a lot of my putting over the winter, so I'm really excited to see how it translates with this Hogan putter. I'm hoping for more consistent distances first and foremost, because that's been my biggest weakness. Between the looks, and initial feel, I think this putter will help with the consistency. I can't wait to put it through it paces, and see how it performs!

Here you go. BHM01 pictures

IMG959988.jpgIMG959985.jpgIMG959980.jpgIMG959983.jpgIMG959979.jpgIMG959984.jpgIMG959981.jpgIMG959982.jpgIMG959978.jpg

Appreciate those pictures gkeller813. I like the looks of Hogan's mallet.

That headcover!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I first noticed the headcover on Instagram, and I liked it then. It looks even better in person!

Appreciate those pictures gkeller813. I like the looks of Hogan's mallet.

You're welcome. This is my first mallet, and so far I'm really liking how it looks at address.

Great pics, thanks. If I were to get one it would be this one. Same look as my Yes! Valerie.

I hope to have a more in depth review within the next few days, so stay tuned!

Did I mention I like this putter a lot???

Went out for 9 today and this was really the first time the greens were in great shape. Quick and true bent grass greens. I made some really good putts today. Hit a couple of 10 footers and left 2 30 footers within 2 feet. Any questions about the BHB02?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Did I mention I like this putter a lot???

Went out for 9 today and this was really the first time the greens were in great shape. Quick and true bent grass greens. I made some really good putts today. Hit a couple of 10 footers and left 2 30 footers within 2 feet. Any questions about the BHB02?

What about feedback? How does it feel on mishits - do you know that it wasn't a perfect stroke? How does the ball roll on mishits?

What about feedback? How does it feel on mishits - do you know that it wasn't a perfect stroke? How does the ball roll on mishits?
Yes it definitely does. I feel like I may be a bit misleading though because the balance is so good for my stroke I am hitting really close to center all the time. I did catch a couple near the hosel last week while playing and they felt kind of tingy and less solid though they still went the right distance. I have not a wobbler off the toe yet yet. That is either because I have been putting well or the club masked it really well.

I've been using the BHB03 which is not face balanced like DataDude's B02.

I think Hogan Precision Milled Putters have a wonderful feel.
The 1020 Carbon Steel is not a putter head material I'm familiar with, but I'll put it ahead of my Ping Milled Series Anser 2 and Scotty Cameron GoLo that I own (303 stainless). In 2013 those had a MSRP of $325 and $350.
I'm not saying that $ = quality of feel, but after the initial looks; that's often the pitch. I believe Ben Hogan Golf is delivering a quality product in this new putter line. The looks you can better see for yourself, but I like the feel/feedback.

There is negative feedback on a mishit. I'm sure the shape (especially on the B03) plays into that, mentally and physically with a lower-MOI design. Twisting of the clubhead on an off-center strike hasn't been a concern, but there is something there to make you strive for pure contact.

I was worried about the lower loft, but the ball has been rolling well. I have not taken measurements or tested consistency on poorly struck putts, yet. I mean, I'm sure there are plenty of off-center hits in there but nothing that has stood out beyond my touch and green reading deficiencies.

I have to echo what Awstyn said, that the feel is wonderful. The BHM01 feels very well balanced, and matches up to my stroke very well. Because of this, I think it is very easy to find the center of the face, and roll some nice putts. I've only been able to test it inside on a putting mat, but will be able to give it a better test later this week on some real greens.

Man, I feel so bad that I haven't been able to contribute any on course review yet. This weather has been an absolute bummer. Got an email yesterday that they are planning on opening the courses up on Saturday as long as the current forecast holds true. So, the time is coming. I doubt that they will have the practice green open at that point and the greens will not be ideal. I may leave the gamer at home and use the Hogan just so I can contribute to this thread sooner. I don't typically like to just throw something like this in the fire without some testing to get a feel for it. They'll be pretty busy so I don't think I can waste too much time on the green going back and forth between putters.

Any questions or points of interest regarding the BHB03? I'm planning on getting my main (and probably final) review posted and up next week. The putter and I will still be around these forums, but that is the plan.

My summary will echo much of what I've already said here. I'll add some numbers, attempt a few more pictures, and try to test off-center results some first. But if anyone following has something they'd like feedback on please respond or message.

I did not use the Hogan during my first league game yesterday. I've showed it around some, but other than my father, no one has actually gone out to the putting green and offered useful comments.

Ohh and radiman, I wouldn't sweat the weather or the people. Far as I know, there isn't a due date :D

Looking forward to hearing what thoughts are once you get it into league play.

That BHM01 Black Beauty is beckoning to me. Really love how easy it is on the eye, and is the shape I prefer. My current gamer is getting it done for me, but, that M01 sure has my eye.

I'm a flow neck blade type of guy with my Toulon Long Island and Ping ZB Redwood currently dueling for the bag. Therefore, the BHB03 was my first thought and the one I named on my reviewer entry.

However, the BHM01 really caught my eye and as I mentioned in the Hogan event thread (behind the spoiler) I can see myself making the BHM01 number 101 in my collection.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's continued feedback. Especially, gkeller813 and Awstyn.

I really like the looks of the BHM01 but am a little concerned with the heavier head weight. Been a while since I have tried anything over 355 grams though.

I am pretty sure I would go with the BHB02. Love the looks of the double bend shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After looking at these a bit I love the profile of the BHB03, it’s a very comfortable look for me

I really like the looks of the BHM01 mallet!!

I finally had the chance to get this putter out on real grass this weekend. While the state of my game leaves a lot to be desired at this point in the season, I was able to get a good feel for this putter. I didn't bring it on the course with me as I just wasn't comfortable with it after a practice green session. I did a little pre-round warm up Saturday morning and went back to the practice green yesterday after filling my belly for Easter.

The sound is not what I was expecting based on my putting mat practice. It isn't clicky by any means. But, it is also not as deep and muted as I thought it would be. Kind of an inbetween where I can hear a pop, but can't feel it in my hands. The head almost feels hollow but solid if that makes sense. The ball gets a good roll right off the face, which I attribute to the relatively low loft (2 degrees). The neck of this putter is longer than my Newport 2 and the blade isn't as thick. It gave it a very narrow appearance when standing over the ball. When it came to putting, I don't think I could make a definitive statement whether it's a better fit for me now or not. The greens were just uncovered and were running pretty slow. Couple that with the fact that the wind was a steady 20mph and I was still trying to get my sea legs, I would call it a below average practice session.

My initial Pros are that it feels pretty consistent across the face. If I miss on the low side, heel or toe side, it doesn't feel harsh. The sound is pleasant and it feels responsive. Appearance wise, I like how low it seems to sit. The heel and toe look to stay close to the ground if that makes sense. The tri-sole is a nice addition.

Initial Cons. I do not like how it is asymmetrical. In my indoor testing, I noticed the heel bumper seemed to be significantly shorter than the toe bumper. I thought it would bug me when I got outdoors. I was right. It isn't enough for me to write it off yet. But, I really need to get over that mentally. I keep wanting to line up towards the toe. I have never been one to use the alignment as a starting point, so others probably wouldn't have the same mental hurdle. I question why it is that way. I don't recall seeing an Anser style blade proportioned this way.

At this point, if I could tweak the design, I would either shorten the toe bumper or lengthen the heel. I would probably add a little meat to the blade and make it slightly deeper from face to back.

Once the greens are normal speed and I can get out when it's not really blustery, I will go out and redo this session as I don't feel the conditions were conducive to testing.

Just removed the "testing" from in front of the BHB02. It is officially the gamer. I played 9 with some friends Saturday and made a couple of clutch putts and put a couple of long ones really close to the pin for gimmes. I am getting along marvelously with this putter. It's just really well made and it performs very well. I will get some photos later today as I have probably played 100 holes with it and the finish is exactly the same as when I unboxed it.

Back