Describe Your Putting Grip

Thank you. That is a great example and while unique, it certainly appears to be working for you.

Ah - totally missed this thread with all the MC recap stuff going on! Here we go...

I putt with an extremely modified "claw" grip that I came up with one day on a putting green 15 years ago. The left hand grips the putter as if it were a traditional, overlap grip, with the pinky finger at the very top of the grip and the knuckles down. The right hand grips the club completely opposite. The pinky finger is at the very bottom of the grip with the knuckles facing up/out (see pictures below). This is very difficult to do with a regular length putter (think mine is 34" or 35"), so it results in my elbows out and an extreme hunch, approaching the "Michelle Wie". My eyes are not quite directly over the ball, but they're close.

The last few years, I've been putting with a pretty pronounced heel down and toe up putter lie as well.

That's all fine and good, but I'm sure the real question is...why?????

The simple answer is that I got a major case of the yips. 15 years ago, my right wrist started completely taking over with a traditional grip and I literally could not hit the hole from 3 feet. It got to the point where I was lagging 3-footers just so I'd have a tap in. I was in college at the time, so one day after classes, I headed over to the Purdue putting green and spent a good 4-5 hours trying out every putting style that I ever heard of. None of them worked, but the claw was close. My right wrist still had some leeway to move and if it could, it would (I played a ton of racket sports in hs/college and I think it stems from trying to put extra spin on a tennis ball). I had to figure out a way to lock it in place, and eventually stumbled across this. It basically functions as a one-handed putting stroke with the right hand there to provide stability. I had trouble controlling the distance, so I only used it for short putts for a year or two. As I got more comfortable with it, I went to it full time.

The heel down putter lie actually helps me lock my wrist in even more on my current putter and for some reason helps the ball roll straight for me. I've been very interested in trying a 38" with a 1 or 2 degree flat putter lie so it doesn't contort my putter so much, but as soon as I mention something, I have a day like Sunday and drain absolutely everything. Alright putter, you'll live to see another day...

I'll admit that it looks completely ridiculous and embrace the comments. It actually gets to the point that when I'm playing with new people, it gets in my head a little bit if they haven't said something by the 4th or 5th hole. "Alright, let's talk about the elephant in the room...". I have not gotten through all the MC comments, but I plan on compiling all the "descriptions" in it's own post and once I catch up on some things at home over the next week, I'll be posting a contest to name it once and for all. So far, I can recall "The Sledgehammer" and "The Plunger", and I've been known to describe it as "The Butter Churner".

I think I mentioned this in the mini-golf thread, but I literally can no longer putt traditionally - so much so that I have to use this grip when playing mini-golf with my 3-year-old. The only time I'll ever advocate someone trying it is if someone is completely frustrated and have the yips. There are so many things about this stroke that go completely against all principles of good putting that I refuse to suggest that anyone try it - I'm not a great putter (sometimes it can be streaky), but it helps me be decent enough. I will also be teaching my daughter the traditional grip and will highly discourage her from trying "Daddy's grip" unless it's as a last resort. That being said, if anyone does want to try it (I caught AcushnetGolf trying it on the putting green the other day!), I'm happy to help out the best I can. Just be prepared for a lot of WTF? looks!

Hope that helps explain it...happy to answer any questions!

79e35b960561813c4a3fc1d2e85fc1ab.jpg

27499f096bacd7c5d69efa1372139f17.jpg

That's a great breakdown Boiler. It's certainly unique but I applaud you for embracing something so out of the norm. At the end of the day all that matters is that it makes putts.

I will admit when I played with Boiler during the practice round I did an immediate what's going on here at the first green. He then nuzzles it up close for an easy par.

I think on the second or third hole I finally asked about it and it made sense. He was nailing so many putts.

Y’all totally lost me at finger down the putter shaft.

Oof.

Changing my grip and going away from finger down the shaft was one of the hardest things I've ever done in golf. It was so hard to get used to not having that finger pointing down.

Ah - totally missed this thread with all the MC recap stuff going on! Here we go...

I putt with an extremely modified "claw" grip that I came up with one day on a putting green 15 years ago. The left hand grips the putter as if it were a traditional, overlap grip, with the pinky finger at the very top of the grip and the knuckles down. The right hand grips the club completely opposite. The pinky finger is at the very bottom of the grip with the knuckles facing up/out (see pictures below). This is very difficult to do with a regular length putter (think mine is 34" or 35"), so it results in my elbows out and an extreme hunch, approaching the "Michelle Wie". My eyes are not quite directly over the ball, but they're close.

The last few years, I've been putting with a pretty pronounced heel down and toe up putter lie as well.

The simple answer is that I got a major case of the yips. 15 years ago, my right wrist started completely taking over with a traditional grip and I literally could not hit the hole from 3 feet. It got to the point where I was lagging 3-footers just so I'd have a tap in. I was in college at the time, so one day after classes, I headed over to the Purdue putting green and spent a good 4-5 hours trying out every putting style that I ever heard of. None of them worked, but the claw was close. My right wrist still had some leeway to move and if it could, it would (I played a ton of racket sports in hs/college and I think it stems from trying to put extra spin on a tennis ball). I had to figure out a way to lock it in place, and eventually stumbled across this. It basically functions as a one-handed putting stroke with the right hand there to provide stability. I had trouble controlling the distance, so I only used it for short putts for a year or two. As I got more comfortable with it, I went to it full time.

The heel down putter lie actually helps me lock my wrist in even more on my current putter and for some reason helps the ball roll straight for me. I've been very interested in trying a 38" with a 1 or 2 degree flat putter lie so it doesn't contort my putter so much, but as soon as I mention something, I have a day like Sunday and drain absolutely everything. Alright putter, you'll live to see another day...

I'll admit that it looks completely ridiculous and embrace the comments. It actually gets to the point that when I'm playing with new people, it gets in my head a little bit if they haven't said something by the 4th or 5th hole. "Alright, let's talk about the elephant in the room...". I have not gotten through all the MC comments, but I plan on compiling all the "descriptions" in it's own post and once I catch up on some things at home over the next week, I'll be posting a contest to name it once and for all. So far, I can recall "The Sledgehammer" and "The Plunger", and I've been known to describe it as "The Butter Churner".

I think I mentioned this in the mini-golf thread, but I literally can no longer putt traditionally - so much so that I have to use this grip when playing mini-golf with my 3-year-old. The only time I'll ever advocate someone trying it is if someone is completely frustrated and have the yips. There are so many things about this stroke that go completely against all principles of good putting that I refuse to suggest that anyone try it - I'm not a great putter (sometimes it can be streaky), but it helps me be decent enough. I will also be teaching my daughter the traditional grip and will highly discourage her from trying "Daddy's grip" unless it's as a last resort. That being said, if anyone does want to try it (I caught AcushnetGolf trying it on the putting green the other day!), I'm happy to help out the best I can. Just be prepared for a lot of WTF? looks!

Boiler comes up to me right before our match to explain it his putting. Led with "I can't make any putts, but at least I don't get the yips." Honestly, I was thinking to myself "with 24 pops, putting might be the only thing to save you." Then his putting was un-effing-believable. He hit clutch putt after clutch putt, lagged every long putt to within a couple feet (except that damn bomb on 10), and most importantly, absolutely crushed every chance I had to put our match too far out of reach. I'll have a very long write up about how awesome he was in our match, but his putting specifically was white hot.

I putt with my right hand low with two overlapping left fingers. I've always considered my grip to be traditional and this is what I was taught when I was in my teens. I've used this putter grip for years, too many to count, with no desire to make any changes. I believe, if a person practices the same thing over-and-over again, he/she will get very good at it.

With that said, I have thought about switching to a left handed putter but if I do I will use the same grip reversed.

From seeing this firsthand all day Sunday, my only takeaway is that it works. Erik was dropping long putts and leaving everything close. I'm glad he figured out that grip as it was fun to watch him nail putts with it!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Boiler comes up to me right before our match to explain it his putting. Led with "I can't make any putts, but at least I don't get the yips." Honestly, I was thinking to myself "with 24 pops, putting might be the only thing to save you." Then his putting was un-effing-believable. He hit clutch putt after clutch putt, lagged every long putt to within a couple feet (except that damn bomb on 10), and most importantly, absolutely crushed every chance I had to put our match too far out of reach. I'll have a very long write up about how awesome he was in our match, but his putting specifically was white hot.

Thanks phoffer - that may have been the best I've ever putted...I'm glad too, because otherwise it would have been a really boring blowout! I can't wait to get to that round in my recap since you were putting incredibly as well and the emotions were flowing. #10 (my putt in the bottom picture above) was pretty wild, but my favorite was #13...I drain the 20 footer and you come right back with a 15 footer to halve the hole. So much fun!

After years of experimentation, I created this 'modified' Left Hand Low, (LHL), grip for myself around 15 years ago, and it was so effective that several of my playing partners adopted it back then, and (like me), they still use it today! Time to share this grip 'breakthrough' with the THP community now! Once you try it, you'll love it!...:love:

This grip works well simply because it prevents a player's dominant right hand from 'taking over' the putting stroke. With this grip, the left hand will always be in control of the putting stroke. For anyone who has battled 'the yips' due to right hand dominance coupled with a left wrist breakdown, this is definitely the grip for you...and it will be a 'game changer' for sure!

Here are the 4-Steps to better putting by using this very unique modified LHL grip:

1- Take the traditional LHL position with the right index finger overlapping the left pinky finger. (aka a 'reverse overlap' grip)

2 - Now swivel the Right thumb to the left so it is completely off the putter's grip, and actually underneath your left wrist. (It should feel 'locked in' by being within the 'notch' that is naturally formed underneath the left wrist when using a LHL grip). Note how this right thumb position 'braces' the left wrist to prevent any possibility of a 'left wrist breakdown' during the putting stroke.

3 - The Left index finger is then extended down the putter shaft for better feel and control, and let the left thumb point downward, but somewhat around the putter grip so it is more toward the rear than simply straight down the putter's grip and shaft.

4 - Last but certainly not least, give your putter a gentle squeeze with the left hand only just before beginning your putting stroke. That little 'reminder squeeze' is real 'confidence builder' because it reminds you that the left hand is now in full control. Any 'fear' in your mind from your putting past that you could make 'a yippy stroke' will then vanish from your mind.

Note: Unlike more 'radical' grips, (such as 'the claw'), it only takes is a bit of practice for my modified LHL grip to feel completely 'natural', to you, and once that happens, your (putting) confidence will soar!..:twist:

(There is no need to 'thank me' until then)...:smile:

Attachments

• yips.png
    yips.png
    159.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Awesome description and you can see the ball rolling into the hole of that 2nd pic.

This proves there is definitely more than one way to good your ball!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I mentioned this in the mini-golf thread, but I literally can no longer putt traditionally - so much so that I have to use this grip when playing mini-golf with my 3-year-old.

Do you get double-takes playing mini-golf? Honestly, I would be more surprised by this grip at the putt-putt course than at the country club.

Great job finding what works!

Slightly modified interlock grip where only the ring and pinky of my left hand are on the grip.

Do you get double-takes playing mini-golf? Honestly, I would be more surprised by this grip at the putt-putt course than at the country club.

Great job finding what works!

Well, my wife is totally embarrassed by me, but that's nothing new :act-up:! Quite honestly I think most people just think I don't know how to play and learned from Happy Gilmore or something. The one time I played competitively in our local Corporate Challenge, I definitely got some weird looks though.

I think the most weird looks I get are when I play in the local Cleveland amateur qualifier. There's less chit-chatting and everyone's pretty good, so you rarely notice anything really off about anyone's game. Plus, you never want to get in someone's head during a tournament, so you tend not to point out swing flaws and such. Although it never fails that someone will say on the 3rd or 4th hole, "Wow, you're really rolling it really well today", which really means "WTF?" It's at that point I explain my grip and they're usually relieved because it's been bugging the **** out of them the whole round.

Double-reverse overlap; I have my right hand low (I'm a right handed golfer) and instead of just the index finger of my left overlapping the fingers on my right, I have the middle finger overlapping as well. I feel like my hands are truly one unit this way.

Moved to a double overlap this offseason which feels weird (been standard overlap since forever) but so far looks to be helping me stabilize my wrists. Cannot, cannot, cannot get used to left hand low. I tried for a good amount of time this offseason as well and just couldn't make it work for me.

WTF????? A three-time PGA teacher of the year is teaching The Plunger?!?!?!?!?! This came out last week, and is the first time I've ever seen anyone else do it since I started putting that way 15 years ago...should I be getting royalties??? To be fair, he's actually doing the "Reverse Plunger", which seems even more awkward and also sounds a bit disturbing...

https://www.golf.com/instruction/putting/2019/07/26/putting-yips-grip-cure-golf-magazine/

Haha, two in a million.

WTF????? A three-time PGA teacher of the year is teaching The Plunger?!?!?!?!?! This came out last week, and is the first time I've ever seen anyone else do it since I started putting that way 15 years ago...should I be getting royalties??? To be fair, he's actually doing the "Reverse Plunger", which seems even more awkward and also sounds a bit disturbing...

https://www.golf.com/instruction/putting/2019/07/26/putting-yips-grip-cure-golf-magazine/

Maybe he read the Morgan Cup thread? :D

The reverse plunger

Man. I’ve been a claw guy for the last 7-8-9 years maybe. Then, the last 1-2yrs my putting has absolutely blown. So, I have officially switched to left hand low and a face balanced putter bent to 67*. Who knew putter fittings actually helped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody ever showed me how to putt or how to grip a putter. I guess I must have figured it out as a kid playing Putt-Putt. At any rate, my boring old conventional putting grip seems to work fine and when I've experimented with right hand low (I'm a lefty golfer) or anything else it feels horribly awkward.

My natural grip is what I think would technically be called double reverse overlap. Thumbs kind of on top, fingers a bit looser and more spread out than in my regular golf grip, left hand pinkie and ring fingers sit very lightly on top of the right hand fingers. Basically my leading hand is holding the putter with it aligned along the length of my palm. The other hand is just along for the ride, barely any grip pressure at all.

The downside is that gives me a tendency to putt almost one-sided, with the "pull" side being very dominant. The upside is, it's the way I've always putted and I don't want to change ;-)

Not sure what it’s called technically but I call it a baseball grip...no overlap no finger down the shaft, just tuck my arms to my body and watch it miss . In the couple putting lessons I’ve taken I tried claw, lhl, and a multitude of other grips but settled back on this one

Not sure what it’s called technically but I call it a baseball grip...no overlap no finger down the shaft, just tuck my arms to my body and watch it miss . In the couple putting lessons I’ve taken I tried claw, lhl, and a multitude of other grips but settled back on this one

Sounds like the ole ten finger grip.

Lol, I've actually been grouped with two low index players this year using the "reverse plunger" shown in the article and before this year I'd only seen it maybe twice in 40 years.

I've used that grip and just about every other grip in the past. My putting is still average and always a work in progress!

Last edited:
Back