Describe Your Putting Grip

Traditional reverse overlap ... 1 finger of the left hand wraps over 2 fingers of the right hand. With the new grips of today by SuperStroke & Golf Pride, they make it easy for your hand to fit comfortably. The current grip I have on my TM putter is perfect. The contour under the grip fits right in the creases of my hand. I can place my hand the exact way every time.

Tried the claw for a bit during some practice and on the course but could just never get comfortable with it. Was great inside 10-15' but outside that I struggled a lot. Went back to the double overlap and have been focusing on keeping my elbows in by my sides and I've seen about the same results as I was seeing with the claw up close and my long putting has gotten back to a reasonable place.

Garsen technique (thumbs to the side of the grip).

Standard grip but right first finger points down the grip (even though a THP video last year suggested it was a bad idea).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I do the same thing. What did the video say about it?

Cross-handed, left hand low, whatever you wanna call it. Soon after Bernhard Langer started doing it back in 19freaking85 I was putting so badly I switch in the middle of a round, one-putted the last four greens and haven't putted differently since. I've modified it slightly over the years, trying different overlaps, but back to zero overlap currently. I'm a pretty good putter, but I've played with the claw thing on the practice green but it feels like a newborn deer trying to walk for the first time and I don't have the desire to spend time on something I don't really need at this point. Arnold Palmer was once asked if there was one thing he would have changed in his game back in his hayday and he responded with using a cross-handed putting grip....nuff said.

https://youtu.be/MkNkI_ZsAbc

It's a short video but essentially it created extra tension in the hands and can restrict the putter on the backswing and then through the ball.

Thanks. Now I just have to unlearn 25 years of muscle memory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Now I just have to unlearn 25 years of muscle memory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried without the finger down the shaft and got much worse.. I stick with it because it works

I was left hand low many, many years ago before it became popular (am I dating myself? - LOL) and had decent success with it. I've also gone with the claw at times, also with some success, but I feel most comfortable with the reverse overlap. One thing I do is make sure that index finger on the lead hand is somewhat curled and relaxed to keep tension out of the stroke as opposed to pointing that finger straight down the shaft.

Cross handed putting grip since I saw Jim Furyk putt in New Orleans. I tried it and have never considered anything else. I watched golf for the first time on TV during the Open and saw that claw grip for the first time and I must say it confuses me.

Um... Hmmm... My putting grip is probably a strange variation of the common "Reverse Overlap"

Right hand: grips putter as normal. Right thumb points straight down the shaft.
Left hand: grips putter extremely close to right hand. Left thumb also points down shaft and is nestled in under padding of the palm/base of right thumb.
Oddity: The left hand also ever so slightly shifted or straightened. The main butt of the putter grip is right in the middle of the left hand palm/base of the hand, right near the wrist, and the left hand index finger, lays up over the top of the 4 fingers on the right hand.

I've been putting like this for 30 years, and it works for me...

Hey guys, I just made a quick You Tube video, showing how I grip my old, ancient, Odyssey DF-550 blade putter. I wonder how common this style of grip pattern is?

Back