The Claw Grip: Have you tried it?

I briefly tried it last year during quarantine in what was a very confusing time for my putting game. It didn’t stick, but I could see the appeal!

I sometimes play around with the claw grip or left-hand-low. In both cases, I really don't know how to place my right hand on the grip. With respect to the claw, it seems there are a number of different variants that pros use.

I used the claw on and off for 2 years before going back to reverse overlap. I had a holy $*** moment in a tournament and was in the wilderness for a while.

I feel confident again in my putting.

I sometimes play around with the claw grip or left-hand-low. In both cases, I really don't know how to place my right hand on the grip. With respect to the claw, it seems there are a number of different variants that pros use.

Just wrap it all the way around. Will people make fun of you? Probably. Will they give you nicknames like the "Plumber"? Absolutely. Will your right wrist get locked into place, finally ending the yips once and for all and make your playing partners jealous and secretly practice it on the 16th hole after watching you drain putts left and right? Definitely :ROFLMAO:

1619187489232.png

Tried it, worked ok for short puts, couldn’t get longer puts to work foe me so dropped that experiment

I have used it the last several years until a change in putting stroke put me experimenting and I found a reverse overlap to work better for me now. I did recommend a buddy give it a shot after watching him 3 putt on 6 holes one day. He immediately started draining putts and has been using it since.

I find it really hard to try new grip methods that will probably help alleviate my frustration and 3 putt issues but I can't seem to focus my brain to keep up with it and revert back to conventional

I've been using a claw grip with my belly putter since before they outlawed anchoring. I started because I had back problems (3 surgeries and a fusion) so I couldn't bend comfortably to use a regular putter. My grip finds the top hand gripping the club the same as a regular grip and the bottom hand is in the normal saw grip position. I make the stroke similar to the way a hockey player makes a slap shot (only much gentler). That way there is no anchoring involved. I like that grip and don't see changing it any time soon.

I tried this much of last year. I changed back as, although I felt I hit it solid and consistent, I just didn’t like my distance control

I used it for almost the whole season to really get used to trying and it did take about a month to get used to it. Just didn’t see any improvement, so I switch back to normal which is more comfortable.

I switched to it a couple months ago. Accuracy was improved , distance need a bit of work but all in all I’m encouraged by the change

It literally saved my putting game. I had horrible case of the yips for a few years. They came and went. Almost always on short putts. It was an absolute killer in league play. I remember 6 putting (yes) from 20 feet. 5 of the putts were from inside of 4 feet.

My instructor saw where it was my right hand flinching at impact. The claw grip took that hand out of it completely. Yips have been gone for 2 years and no longer fear the 2-4 footer.

The only downside is it's hard to hit very long putts solidly. I'll switch to a traditional grip if the putt is more than 40-50 feet.

I gave it a try today for a full round. And after today I will be going back to my old grip. Ended with 47 putts....just couldn’t make anything within 5 ft.

I felt distance control was better on the lag putts but the “feel” just wasn’t there on the short putts when I needed it.

Been using it for the last 3-4 seasons, works well for me. I putted cross handed for many years before that, and I putt better this way.

Still not a “great putter” by any stretch of the imagination, though. But I definitely make more inside of 10 feet with making a better stroke using the claw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched to it a couple months ago. Accuracy was improved , distance need a bit of work but all in all I’m encouraged by the change
The only downside is it's hard to hit very long putts solidly.
My putting really sucks right now. I used to use left hand low years and years ago, before it became popular, went back to reverse overlap and have, on occasion, tried the claw grip. I, too, have seen issues with distance control on longer putts with the claw but can't see switching grips during a round based on distance from the hole. Maybe it is just getting used to the greens at the course I joined this year but one would think I should be able to rad them after 40+ rounds! :mad:

I keep experimenting with the claw grip on my home mat. I am honestly not sure why I haven’t tried it during a round. Promotes a consistent stroke and release. I always thought it looked awkward, but after a few putts it feels comfortable. Buddy who struggled with putting and had the yips made the switch. His putting is transformed.

I’ve been using the claw grip for a very long time. I came to golf from tennis and I was a big top spinner, which meant a very active wrist. That was a real problem in my putting and the claw grip solved that.

What types of putter grips do you guys prefer with the claw method?

I'm trying it this year and it is helping with putts inside 4'. For really long putts I go back to standard, also if I'm just off the green as I have more control on how hard I hit the ball.

I have not, looking forward to a lesson in July.

I’d have to have Phil show it to me, right handed of course if I’m going to remember it.

No.

I putt fine usually. I just can’t read greens. If I know my line I make a lot. I just never know the line? 🤷‍♂️

I doubt a new grip will make me magically read greens. Outside of that, not interested.

Time to revive this.

Out of frustration more than anything I started rolling the rock with a claw grip again this week and the stroke path on camera got 100 times better as far as finishing down the line which is why I’ve been working on in my traditional style stroke. It’s got me on on the brink of just going back to the claw full time.

Ugh.

During the course of a round I might use four different grips, overlap, reverse overlap, left hand low or claw or saw, whatever you want to call it. One bad putt and I am looking to experiment. It's the same with the full swing. One bad shot and I might grip weaker or stronger the next time or just change the position of one of my hands. Maybe I'm just too demanding of myself!
:banghead:

I've been using the claw grip, Mickelson style, for over a year now. For me it has resulted in a much better roll of the ball and a non-handsy swing. I am much more consistent using this grip on both short and long putts.

Yeah. Im pretty sure I’m going back to this after the putting practice I did this weekend. :oops:

Have fought the yips forever and only kept playing when I went to a broomstick putter. Ended up not playing the 18 years and now back. IMMEDIATELY began to fight the yips again. Bought an arm lock Odyssey and really not much better.

Saw this thread yesterday and tried a couple of positions. I ultimately tried the “Adam Scott” approach, left hand at the top not anchored and right hand in the claw. WOW, I started rolling the ball great (on the carpet ). Can’t wait to try it out this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With a short putter I am much better with the claw it takes the hit out of my stroke particularly on short putts. I had an instructor tell me that by not having the palm of your lower hand can lead to it being flippy. Going to some sort of claw prevents that flip.

If you struggle with long putts then you are controlling pace for long putts with the speed of your stroke instead of the length of your stroke. The pace of your stroke should be comparable on different length putts just longer.

Back