The Claw Grip: Have you tried it?

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
How many of you out there have tried the claw grip on the course or on the greens?

I’ve recently been kind of forced to for sake of a grip review, and the results have been...well...impressive.

So, have you tried it? What’d you think?

How many of you out there have tried the claw grip on the course or on the greens?

I’ve recently been kind of forced to for sake of a grip review, and the results have been...well...impressive.

Puts a much more solid roll on the ball for me. Impact feels more centered. I just wish I didn’t hate myself when I did it, cause then I start wondering if I’ve been yippy at it all this time, or if it just forces a better stroke.

I have flirted with it on and off for a few months on the course to on the putting green. Mixed bag of results for me thus far but I always putt better just after switching back from it.

I've been using it for about the last eight years after years of struggles. Actually it's more the "Saw" grip. (Google Mark O'Meara saw grip for a good short video.)

After the switch I quickly started winning big-time in my club flight that season (and sadly won the "sandbagger" trophy). Several of my close competitors had me show them the stroke and that mitigated my edge (lol).

While a face-balanced or minimal toe hang putter might not be mandatory, I think it's better with that stroke. I just replaced my Scotty this past week that had more toe hang than I thought for a very slight hang and center-shafted putter.

What does your hand placement look like while using the claw? Can you think of any pros that you the same hand placement as you do for reference?

I've tired toyed around with it but without really knowing how to set up properly. I'm going through a bit of a rough patch right now, maybe I'll research how to do it properly and give it a whirl.

@Jman, what aspect has been most impressive to you since going to it?

• Staff
@Jman, what aspect has been most impressive to you since going to it?

Probably the 30, 28, 29, 31, 30, 27, 28, 26

Hahahaha

What does your hand placement look like while using the claw? Can you think of any pros that you the same hand placement as you do for reference?

Looking around, a lot like Tommy Fleetwood’s

Puts a much more solid roll on the ball for me. Impact feels more centered. I just wish I didn’t hate myself when I did it, cause then I start wondering if I’ve been yippy at it all this time, or if it just forces a better stroke.

I think I’m going to commit to it the rest of the year.

Looking around, a lot like Tommy Fleetwood’s

Yea that’s what I’ve messed with and has been the most comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What used to be a strength, putting, has been holding me back lately. Guess the hands aren't getting anymore steady with age, 44.

Have tried it out on the putting green yesterday after several more there putts on my round and very few saves and it felt solid. Going to give it a try.

Tried something that looks more like Justin Rose's version, with indeed and middle finger in top, ring and pinky to the right.

Here's to making more putts!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I've thought about it. I used to be deadly with the putter, but nowadays I'm average. I don't know if my fundamentals have changed or if it's because I'm 40.

I've used it off and on with a pretty good degree of success when my putting has taken a turn for the worst. I have never stuck with it for very long and I did find it better on shorter putts as opposed to long putts. However, since putting the SL DoubleWide in the bag my putting has been consistently great! That putter might be worth a try with the claw, though, just to see the results.

Yea that’s what I’ve messed with and has been the most comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m digging it most because it really locks in the lower hand to the upper, feels insanely stable.

I've never tried it and don't plan to. It doesn't look that comfortable and I'm pretty satisfied with my current grip. I'd try a lot of other styles before trying the claw.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Never on the course, but I’ve messed around with it in the house on short putts on the carpet, and I think it really helps there. I don’t know how much I like it for long putts though.

I used it full time a few years ago. Never noticed much difference in how I was putting with or without it.

Never on the course, but I’ve messed around with it in the house on short putts on the carpet, and I think it really helps there. I don’t know how much I like it for long putts though.

Shockingly, distance control has come amazingly easy.

Shockingly, distance control has come amazingly easy.

Maybe it’s time to experiment a bit. I’m still miffed about a dumb three putt that caused me to miss scoring even par for 9 for the first time ever today.

I haven't, my putting grip is one of those things I've never tinkered with. But the more and more I see people going to different styles like the claw, I've always been curious.

Maybe it’s time to experiment a bit. I’m still miffed about a dumb three putt that caused me to miss scoring even par for 9 for the first time ever today.

Distance putts were my main concern trying this for the review, and I absolutely left some short early, but I adapted shockingly quick. I always assumed that would be this methods big drawback.

Distance putts were my main concern trying this for the review, and I absolutely left some short early, but I adapted shockingly quick. I always assumed that would be this methods big drawback.

What’s the weight on the Traxion? I’ve got the stroke lab in both of the putters I’m alternating, and I don’t want to mess with the weight too much. But I’ve also got my mFGP2 I need to send to SeeMore to get to 34” from the old length, so maybe that would be a fun experiment.

52g in the 1.0, 63g in the 2.0 I have...assuming standard weights in them and not heavier kits.

Back