Putter Loft and Lie Angle

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We talk about loft and lie angles getting checked in irons, but in putters it is often overlooked. We grabbed a random putter in the club lab and measured it, and it might surprise you.

I've never considered the loft of my putter being off. Is this mostly factory variation or can they really change from use and bag chatter. I just assumed the were difficult to accidentally alter.

Can honestly say I would never have thought to check the putters loft or lie. Figure with it being under cover all the time it would be immune to changes like that. Still kind of amazed that changing loft and lie is still so rudimentary.

• Admin
I've never considered the loft of my putter being off. Is this mostly factory variation or can they really change from use and bag chatter. I just assumed the were difficult to accidentally alter.

Its less frequent than with clubs striking the ground from swings, but it can happen. Either from factory or from change, it's never a bad thing to have it checked.
Keep in mind as well, if you are buying off the rack, like many of us do, it might not be the proper fit, so altering is necessary.

Is all the putter equipment different than iron equipment?

• Admin
Is all the putter equipment different than iron equipment?

The Mitchell machines for the measurement? Yes, it is two separate machines.

Nice interesting short video. Never would have guessed it would be off.

lol its funny this is posted because I was just talking with a friend about the time I bought a Toulon Madison from 2nd swing and hated it. Seemed so.....off. I ended up selling it on the marketplace to @McLovin and he took it in to get it checked out and the loft and lie were alllll sorts of jacked up. Wish I would have thought to check it before bailing on it

I've never really thought about the loft and lie changing with my putter but now it makes me want to get it checked every season.

now i feel a need to check my putter loft.

We checked a bunch of putters on this machine, including our own gamers. I'm of the belief that loft is a bit overlooked in putters. IIRC we shot a video a couple of years ago with Sean Toulon and we discussed the effect of lofts including how face technology plays a big roll in what loft is optimal for a putter head.

lol its funny this is posted because I was just talking with a friend about the time I bought a Toulon Madison from 2nd swing and hated it. Seemed so.....off. I ended up selling it on the marketplace to @McLovin and he took it in to get it checked out and the loft and lie were alllll sorts of jacked up. Wish I would have thought to check it before bailing on it

I was just about to come in and make a comment like this.

We find a certain putter that just 'works' for us and typically have no idea why. Measuring the loft/lie and trying to align it with others makes perfect sense.

Will be heading to GG to get my new double wide bent to 67-68* this week. When I got fit this was what they said I should do and haven’t been able to get there to do it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool video, didn't know a loft could be fixed that fast! Thanks for sharing!!!

Love it! That's why I need one of these machines. I have so many putters at home that I need to work on. A few I want to get to 1* of loft

I was just about to come in and make a comment like this.

We find a certain putter that just 'works' for us and typically have no idea why. Measuring the loft/lie and trying to align it with others makes perfect sense.

I think this is a very important note. Forget about the fact that lofts change or don't change during use. If you have a putter that you love, check the loft and lie and it could help you next time you make a switch getting it matched up to those specs. In lieu of a fitting, this is a great suggestion.

Never really thought putter loft and lie angle can change just from use and bag chatter, leaning on it to pick up a ball etc

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is the exact reason why I'm comfortable with my current TM Ardmore putter. I had it custom made to 3* upright & 1* loft. None of my other putters have these settings. Incidentally, when I was at the PING fitting studio at the last THP Event, I was told my stroke would benefit with about 1 - 1.5* of loft to keep the ball from bouncing & skidding. I apparently tend to hit up on the putt and increase the loft at impact.
So if I could get all my putters at these settings would be ideal.

Another great video. Really don't understand how a putter lie and loft can shift over time though with as little impact to the ball and ground as a putting stroke generates. Certainly can understand if the specs are a little off from what is stated as standard when it is received new.

Another great video. Really don't understand how a putter lie and loft can shift over time though with as little impact to the ball and ground as a putting stroke generates. Certainly can understand if the specs are a little off from what is stated as standard when it is received new.

Its not as common, but think about how many golfers lean on their putter while waiting. Now multiply that by how many times and how many rounds. It can happen. I know my personal putter shifted mildly and this one did as well.

I just adjusted the loft of my putter down a little bit to match what I previously rolled very well. I also moved it a bit more flat to reduce any toe up action I had at setup.

Putter loft and lie are super overlooked for nearly all golfers. Another thing to keep in mind is generally fast greens require less loft and slower greens require more for optimal roll.

How you set your hands at address can also make a big difference. One of my playing partners got a new Stroke Lab putter last month and has a significant forward press. His long putts were visibly hopping the first few feet and I told him he definitely needed to get his loft adjusted up on his putter. He took it in and they adjusted it from 2*(I’m guessing it should have been 3* or more from the factory) to 6* and he’s rolling it perfectly now.

Great video. Anyone who has never been fit for a putter might truly be surprised at the difference loft and lie make.

great video. Surprising but very interesting. Over the past 2 years I've been on a putting improvement learning experience and conclude I had been playing too long putters for most of my life. Then I ask myself how pro's get in the putting position they do and conclude they have altered lies. I was not thinking lies on putters we get could be altered and frankly after seeing the video I don't know I'd trust anyone around me to alter my putter. Maybe I'm wrong

Back