Long Putters for a bad back? Do you rock one, or would you?

ULEWZ

Golf Magician
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
After one month off with SI pain which started by being hunched over practicing putting, I was wondering if a long putter, arm lock, or anchoring putter, would help with the pain. I am not willing to give up the game, so something has to give.

Ya, the long putters look strange, but may help. Is anybody still rocking one of these and if so, does it help with putting back pain?

Any other putting tricks to help?

I'm not, but one of the best players I've personally played with does. He putts lights out with it too. He never anchored it, even when it was allowed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have a bad back(herniated and bulging disc). I would never consider using a long putter, at least one of those broomsticks. Just a matter of personal choice. The one thing I would consider is a longer length putter (currently use a 35”) and I would try to putt with of a more upright stance to avoid being hunched over. I would like to be able to use my usual grip.

I putted with a 49” broomstick for about 3 years in my mid 30’s and would absolutely game one if my back ever requires it. I’m sure I could have putted better today with a broomstick.

Sorry to hear about your back.
I used a broom for approx 15 years to avoid back surgery and glad I did.
That year I could not play from June - August and went to the course with my wife and friends and practiced with the long putter while they played.
When the USGA changed the rules I went back to a conventional putter.

Looking back, I should have stayed with the long putter and made the change to unanchored vs going back to the conventional method.

There are many ways to approach using a long putter and I would be happy to help you.

My 2 cents......if you make a switch to a different putter method due to a bad back, stick with it.

If I can help, please let me know.

More importantly, I hope your back improves.

Uhh ... Nope. Would never even consider it either.

After one month off with SI pain which started by being hunched over practicing putting, I was wondering if a long putter, arm lock, or anchoring putter, would help with the pain. I am not willing to give up the game, so something has to give.

Ya, the long putters look strange, but may help. Is anybody still rocking one of these and if so, does it help with putting back pain?

Sorry to hear about your pain. We make a great broomstick putter. Perfect weighting, etc. Check it out here. Feel free to contact us at info@seemore.com or call the office at 615-435-8015. Happy to help.

I will try and find a long putter to try before dropping that much money on one.

If my back gave me too much trouble I'd probably give one a try, or at least an extended putter so I don't have to bend quite as much.

How long is the putter yoiu use now ?
If it is only 33" or 34", changing to 35" , 35.%', or 36" would make a huge "comfort" difference.

How long is the putter yoiu use now ?
If it is only 33" or 34", changing to 35" , 35.%', or 36" would make a huge "comfort" difference.

It is a 34" and I am 6' tall. I will try a little larger putter and see if it fits. Thanks.

Bought a used Odyssey Tank #1 to try in a 38 inch. Seems to be the right size for me using my new found
reverse armlock putting stroke. Thanks for all the input.

Odyssey Tank Cruiser1.jpg

I actually just bought a 38” putter. Coming from a standard 34-35” putter. My back has really hurt me as of late. Since switching to the longer putter no pain and better results as well. Win win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chefkritter can you chime in here? I know you have been experimenting lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radiman;n8624511 said:
I'm not, but one of the best players I've personally played with does. He putts lights out with it too. He never anchored it, even when it was allowed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's my story, except I could be that guy. The fact that I live in a different part of the country suggests there are others out there. I didn't adopt the long putter because of any back issues or putting woes. I won a long putter at a tournament about 7 years ago when long and belly putters were the talk of the town. ULEWZ, if you decide to try this here are a few things to know.
  • Sourcing a long putter is going to be a challenge. They are generally 48-52 inches in length and you can't just throw a putter head on a long shaft. Because of the length, the design center was to design a head that had about 25-40% more mass than a traditional length putter. They stand much more upright so the lie angle has to be a lot more upright and the shaft is a much larger diameter up where you split grip grab the club. There are still a few around, just not many.
  • Holding the butt end away from your body is no big deal. These putters weigh about a pound and a half. You'd have to be a real wimp for that to be a challenge. The key though (as is true with standard length putters) is getting your eye-line directly over the ball. Otherwise, aiming properly is difficult to impossible.
  • I literally practiced more than 5,000 putts before I even dared to bring it out on the course. Maybe I'm a slow learner, but initially, I scuffed the ground a lot or miss-hit in other ways. 50-inches is a long way. The technique, the feel, the way you propel the putter head is all completely different.
If you decide to do this, you are welcome to PM me and I'll share what I know about the techniques for using the long putter. There isn't a lot of instruction out there.

leftshot;n8880167 said:
That's my story, except I could be that guy. The fact that I live in a different part of the country suggests there are others out there. I didn't adopt the long putter because of any back issues or putting woes. I won a long putter at a tournament about 7 years ago when long and belly putters were the talk of the town. ULEWZ, if you decide to try this here are a few things to know.
  • Sourcing a long putter is going to be a challenge. They are generally 48-52 inches in length and you can't just throw a putter head on a long shaft. Because of the length, the design center was to design a head that had about 25-40% more mass than a traditional length putter. They stand much more upright so the lie angle has to be a lot more upright and the shaft is a much larger diameter up where you split grip grab the club. There are still a few around, just not many.
  • Holding the butt end away from your body is no big deal. These putters weigh about a pound and a half. You'd have to be a real wimp for that to be a challenge. The key though (as is true with standard length putters) is getting your eye-line directly over the ball. Otherwise, aiming properly is difficult to impossible.
  • I literally practiced more than 5,000 putts before I even dared to bring it out on the course. Maybe I'm a slow learner, but initially, I scuffed the ground a lot or miss-hit in other ways. 50-inches is a long way. The technique, the feel, the way you propel the putter head is all completely different.
If you decide to do this, you are welcome to PM me and I'll share what I know about the techniques for using the long putter. There isn't a lot of instruction out there.

Thanks, but I decided on a normal stance using an armlock method and 38 inches. It has been working great for me, all 2 putts or less today (old 34 inch putter as the new won isn't due for couple of weeks) and the left hand low grip is way easier on my back for some reason. I tried the sideways putter at the golf store, and was all over the map.

ULEWZ;n8880175 said:
Thanks, but I decided on a normal stance using an armlock method and 38 inches. It has been working great for me, all 2 putts or less today (old 34 inch putter as the new won isn't due for couple of weeks) and the left hand low grip is way easier on my back for some reason. I tried the sideways putter at the golf store, and was all over the map.

Hey, I'm just glad you got a solution that allows you to play and alleviates the pain. I ruptured a disc about 30 years ago, so I know back pain is the pits.

So recently I had began pondering this idea again after years of just thinking about it. I've had 2 back surgeries and will surely have another within a year or so. Knowing that my putter has been problematic, either great or bad, no inbetween and wanted to get more consistency but due to pain in my back i could only roll putts for like 15 minutes and then it would just kill me for a couple of days. So a couple weeks ago i found one on ebay to give a try, had it set to 46" and thought what the heck, why not. The day I got it in i took it to a local course and putted for over an hour straight with no back pain. I am still getting used to distance control/speed as its totally different but I am actually liking it. I have seen quite a few putts go in, seeing the line better when setting up and my back has zero pain related to it. It made me want to actually practice putting and looking forward to getting on the putting green again.

Got my putter yesterday, I will post up with the results next time out.

ULEWZ;n8888917 said:
Got my putter yesterday, I will post up with the results next time out.
I have played with this longer 38 inch Tank putter about 5 times now and can't hit it for sh!t. My stroke is all over the place.
Back the the shorter putter that I am much more consistent with.

Back