Which putter do you choose?

KEV

Proud 2018 The Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
Here's the scenario. You're preparing for a tournament and trying to decide between two putters. Here is the background with each option:

Putter A: Great for lag putting and leaves you with very makeable follow up putts. However, you're not nearly as confident with it in the 4-12 foot range which is where a lot of your recovery chips end up.

Putter B: Confidence is higher from the 4-12 foot range but lag putting can be sketchy. On lag putts there's a good chance you have 3-6 foot comeback putts. However you feel somewhat confident in that range.

Which way would you go?

if you are a high GIR player, go for the auto 2-putter.
if not, higher confidence midrange putter.

Based on my game I don't spend a lot of time inside 12 feet very often. I'd go with Putter A. Being ultra-confident in the lag putting would greatly increase my scores. And I feel like 4-12 feet and in can be learned with practice over time.

I'd take putter A and aim further than 12' from the pin with my recovery chips. :clapp:

Scratch that. I'm dropping LW and taking them both.

Based on my game I don't spend a lot of time inside 12 feet very often. I'd go with Putter A. Being ultra-confident in the lag putting would greatly increase my scores. And I feel like 4-12 feet and in can be learned with practice over time.

Maybe it can be learned. I guess that just depends on how you interpreted the word "preparing". I envisioned him putting his bag together for a round tomorrow. I didn't factor in any further practice.

I still say take both.

If you feel like an underdog or otherwise need to make 1 putts to compete for a W, I'd go with Putter B. If not, Putter A.

Take them both.

Great overview on the putters Kev! I like putter 2 because with your good chips, you have a higher chance of getting down. Also, your lag putts should end up in your 4-12 foot range even if some are 6 feet past, still have a great chance to make those, which might not happen as often with putter 1. Good luck this weekend!

Great overview on the putters Kev! I like putter 2 because with your good chips, you have a higher chance of getting down. Also, your lag putts should end up in your 4-12 foot range even if some are 6 feet past, still have a great chance to make those, which might not happen as often with putter 1. Good luck this weekend!

yep, this

Putter B for sure, want to feel confident on the length of putts you think you'll have more often.

Here's the scenario. You're preparing for a tournament and trying to decide between two putters. Here is the background with each option:

Putter A: Great for lag putting and leaves you with very makeable follow up putts. However, you're not nearly as confident with it in the 4-12 foot range which is where a lot of your recovery chips end up.

Putter B: Confidence is higher from the 4-12 foot range but lag putting can be sketchy. On lag putts there's a good chance you have 3-6 foot comeback putts. However you feel somewhat confident in that range.

Which way would you go?
How good am I at hitting the center of the green? If I know I'm going to be left with a lot of long putts because my irons are off, then I'd choose the one that will put me close on my second shot.

B and only B.

Think it's gotta be B for me. Your lag putts may leave you in a range that you're already comfortable with based on the initial statement. Good luck!

How good am I at hitting the center of the green? If I know I'm going to be left with a lot of long putts because my irons are off, then I'd choose the one that will put me close on my second shot.

Let's say that your greens in regulation number is pretty low.

Higher confidence putter will equate into more putts made.

Gotta go with putter B. Missing a couple short putts can really eff your mental game up.

Let's say that your greens in regulation number is pretty low.
So you're chipping up close. Go with the one that's better from mid range

I’d go with B, sounds like you’re leaning that way anyway. You have confidence in in the critical range.

Putter B FTMFW

Short putts are the must make

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! You're reinforcing the way I had been leaning.

A is in the garage until it gets its act together. I would take B out for a spa day and maybe buy it some jewelry. B is definitely the one I am taking away on a long weekend.

Gimme that B putter all day every day. Make birdies at a higher rate, which would make the game more fun

I would go with B

B short and medium range confidence and results

We have more short and medium range putts. These are the scoring putts and can make or break a round, score wise or mentally.

Confidence cannot be overvalued.

Back