Milled vs milled face

scott.french3

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My putter was milled out of stainless steel 303 with a flat face. I've putted with it and with a similar scotty cameron newport 2 with a milled face. Honestly, with identical urethane golf balls the feel and results are the same. What am I missing?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Putters are more feel based then anything. Milled faces can produce a different feel to some.

You're missing the perceived performance upgrade from a milled face. As you have found, feel is subjective.

Not missing much.

It’s very much a feel thing when it comes to standard milking, deeper means softer, finer firmer.

But there are milling patterns used by companies that can and do have an impact on roll as well. Like Cleveland, PING, Toulon, and Evnroll.

My putter was milled out of stainless steel 303 with a flat face. I've putted with it and with a similar scotty cameron newport 2 with a milled face. Honestly, with identical urethane golf balls the feel and results are the same. What am I missing?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Some milled putters have a flat face, others have on the face a design. Both types are milled putters and there is no functional difference. However, if the face has deep enough "design milling" most players find the impact sound is relatively quiet, soft sounding.

Some milled putters have a flat face, others have on the face a design. Both types are milled putters and there is no functional difference. However, if the face has deep enough "design milling" most players find the impact sound is relatively quiet, soft sounding.

Thanks! I have an old 2 ball putter with a white hot insert. With a soft cover ball, it felt like I was putting a marshmallow. Too soft. lol

Scottys don’t have aggressive face milling ime, so yeah not much difference. But some putters have quite aggressive milling, so the contact points with the ball are diminished, and it affects the way impact feels as well as how hard you have to hit the putt. As others have pointed out, Evnroll and Cleveland get some science into it (I play and appreciate Evnroll). I’d go for Odyssey white hot insert over a weakly milled face, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluesManDan;n8637256 said:
Scottys don’t have aggressive face milling ime, so yeah not much difference. But some putters have quite aggressive milling, so the contact points with the ball are diminished, and it affects the way impact feels as well as how hard you have to hit the putt. As others have pointed out, Evnroll and Cleveland get some science into it (I play and appreciate Evnroll). I’d go for Odyssey white hot insert over a weakly milled face, I think.

I agree with this. I find the feel of a typical Scotty really hard and nasty, if you compare to a Cleveland Huntington Beach or a Bettinardi it’s somewhat different.

BluesManDan;n8637256 said:

Depends on the model really.

Back