What looks "old" is "new" (retro putter idea...)

butchammon

Keeping it "old school"
Reaction score
Handicap
what?
Thinking about putters of all makes, models, flavors, etc... I had this crazy idea and wonder what you all think.

Just like how Gibson or Fender make some of those "old school" electric guitars that look like they came straight from 1962, but yet combined with today's modern electronics, wiring scheme, etc... I wonder if the golf industry would do something like that, as a type of new marketing idea. Honor the past, while including today's technology, with golf putters.

Take the old classic, Ping Zing putter from 1973, the same one that your dad played.
Same look, same faded out copper finish, etc...
But yet, imagine if Ping re-created it with today's technology (i.e. the Ping Vault 2 blade putter), but yet had it finished in a (faux, imitation) faded copper finish.

Imagine if Titleist took the famous Scotty Cameron Newport from the early 90's and re-created the same look and finish, but yet with today's modern technology and feel?

Let's not forget the ubiquitous Odyssey Rossie II putter. Imagine if Odyssey re-created it with the same look and finish, but yet built with Odyssey's modern technology, sort of like the Odyssey Stroke Lab Tuttle?

I wonder if there would be a golf market for something surprisingly "Retro" where guys in the group would see an "OLD" putter in your bag, but yet you tell them "No, it's not old. It may look old, but believe me... it's all modern and high tech, but with an "old school" look to it".

Am I nuts with this type of thinking in the golf putter industry, or would an idea like this catch on? Just wondering....

I doubt there is any way to enhance the technology of the old Acushnet Bullseye Flange, but I would love to have a brand new one with some custom stamps!

pattyboy21;n8877609 said:
I doubt there is any way to enhance the technology of the old Acushnet Bullseye Flange, but I would love to have a brand new one with some custom stamps!

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"463","width":"620","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/MJWcqfx.jpg"}[/IMG2]

aljaklaw;n8877613 said:
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"463","width":"620","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/MJWcqfx.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Damn! I'd give that a roll :)

Back