short putter players ?

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
I am currently experimenting with some different putter head weights and shaft lengths. To those of you who play a short putter, for example 33" to 34" , please reply as to whether your address posture is to have arms well extended, with little to know bend at the elbows, or are you crouched low with significant knee and elbow bend (similar to Nicklaus putting address posture style) ?
Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

I play a 32.5 - 33” length putter. I still have my elbows a little flexed, but I am also a smaller guy at 5’6”

I like being able to bend over the ball a bit versus standing more upright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My father, who’s about that height, putts with his eyes right over the ball and a good amount of bend - I think he uses a 32.5 or 33 inch putter. On the flip side, I stand a bit more upright, and I was put into a slightly longer putter than the 33” I’d been playing (I’m 5’7”) and it’s made a big difference for me,

rocking a 33.5” right now and i really like it. only time i struggle a bit is on a very long putt. i’d rather stand a little taller for something that long. other than that, i’m very content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DucatiGirl;n8879928 said:
30.5”, very standard posture for me.

Oh wait - short putters not short golfers. Carry on.

There are some 5'5" LPGA players using putters longer than 35".
How tall are you ?
In this thread I am trying to learn whether the players who do use shorter putters favor an extended arms (little elbow bend) or do they address the ball with significant knee and elbow bend.

I play mine at 33" and feel like my posture is pretty neutral. Elbows are still flexed a little.

Sox_Fan;n8879934 said:
I play mine at 33" and feel like my posture is pretty neutral. Elbows are still flexed a little.

What is your height ?

My putter is at 32 inches. I am 5'7". Small bend in elbows.

DG_1234;n8879946 said:
What is your height ?
5'8" unless I have shrunk in the last year.

34 inches at 5’8... never had a real fitting though

Im 5'10" and I prefer a 33.5" putter. I tend to stand a bit taller, with my arms extended. I read once that for most golfers who are under 6' tall, a 35" putter is actually too long for them and that they would be better to either buy a 33"-34" putter or have their current putter shortened.
I often buy putters off the rack that are 35" and have them cut down. It does change the swing weight a bit but its not a huge deal and you could always put a weighted grip on it if you want to restore the swing weight back to what it was before you cut it down.

6' tall and was fit into a 34" Sl Double Wide, slight bend in my elbows and knees. Weight neutral on feet and eyes over ball.

scott.french3;n8879956 said:
My putter is at 32 inches. I am 5'7". Small bend in elbows.

Same here except I’m 5’8”

5'8" 34 inch putter
I was fitted at 33" but my issue is going outside in and cutting across or pulling putts. Everyone has an opinion but read too many people stand too close to the ball when putting.
Posture is more upright, I set up and grip at 34", then grip down down an inch to get my eyes closer to the line, yet still inside the line.

Putting has improved.

potbunker;n8880125 said:
5'8" 34 inch putter
I was fitted at 33" but my issue is going outside in and cutting across or pulling putts. Everyone has an opinion but read too many people stand too close to the ball when putting.
Posture is more upright, I set up and grip at 34", then grip down down an inch to get my eyes closer to the line, yet still inside the line.

Putting has improved.

Addressing the ball especially close to it will absolutely promote an outside path back stroke......From there players usually pull across and pull putts left and, or, guide the thru stroke as a "push".
The technique you described as using yourself I think is good. How tall are you and when you grip down an inch are your arms well extended with only a little bit of elbow bend?

DG_1234;n8880154 said:
Addressing the ball especially close to it will absolutely promote an outside path back stroke......From there players usually pull across and pull putts left and, or, guide the thru stroke as a "push".
The technique you described as using yourself I think is good. How tall are you and when you grip down an inch are your arms well extended with only a little bit of elbow bend?

Forgot I shrunk. 5'7"
My arms are not fully extended.
I prefer a relaxed arm position (elbow bend) and light grip.
The other switch was from a face balanced to a toe hang putter.

I'm 6'2" tall and use a 34" putter. Anything taller just feels awkward to me. I tend to keep my arms more straight which helps me with stroke consistency.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I'm just under 5'10" and use a 33-inch putter, which I grip down about an inch from the top. I tend to bend over quite a bit and have my arms bent at the elbows, but with very minimal knee bend.

dsw1519;n8880174 said:
I'm 6'2" tall and use a 34" putter. Anything taller just feels awkward to me. I tend to keep my arms more straight which helps me with stroke consistency.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Are you a consistently good putter ?

I was fit into a 31" putter, am playing a 33" putter that I actually choked down about an inch on. Gets me less arc and much better results on the course.

I am 5-10 arms are hanging down to the grip 28.5 inch putter.... also its center shaft...

Last edited:
I’ve found I putt best, at least recently, with a 34” putter gripped a little lower with my elbows slightly bent & some been in the waist. I’m 5’7” or so.

I'm 5'8" and play a 33" SL putter. I feel like my posture is about neutral and my arms hang free. I don't lock them like "the scientist", but not have a huge bend at the elbow. Just kinda let them hang.

Badger_Golfer;n8880044 said:
Im 5'10" and I prefer a 33.5" putter. I tend to stand a bit taller, with my arms extended. I read once that for most golfers who are under 6' tall, a 35" putter is actually too long for them and that they would be better to either buy a 33"-34" putter or have their current putter shortened.
I often buy putters off the rack that are 35" and have them cut down. It does change the swing weight a bit but its not a huge deal and you could always put a weighted grip on it if you want to restore the swing weight back to what it was before you cut it down.

You mean install a lighter grip to get the swingweight back? If you install a heavier (i.e. weighted) grip the swingweight will drop further.

I'm 5'8" and was fitted to a 33.5" length putter shaft.

Back