Post Up Your Putting Games

JohnSinVA

Porkins
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf is hard and we all need to practice as much as we can to improve. But practice implies repeatedly doing drills over and over again, which gets boring, which makes us not want to practice and we're back to being terrible instead of merely bad :alien: So, to avoid the cycle of boring drills killing our desire to practice, what games or "fun" drills have you guys come up with for the putting green that can add some interest and purpose, and make practice not seem so much like...practice?

One game I picked up from ChristopherKee is to set an alignment stick behind the hole and work on leaving missed putts "in the zone" between the hole and the stick. Holed putts were worth a point, in the zone putts worth a half, and all others were -1. Goal was to reach 10 points from a given distance before moving.

For 2 or more players, I like "21", as in first player to 21 points wins. An ace is 10 points, a 2 putt is 1 point, a 3 putt is negative 3 points.

To make it fun, the key is to play with someone else, play for a beer or something like that. I mean playing by yourself counting to 10? That's just like practicing to me. And who's throwing in negative numbers (-)? I have to do math while practicing too? LOL I do enough math at work. I don't want to do it while playing golf too. That's why my GPS adds up my score for me :banana:

Circle or clock drill, putt to the fringe, ladder drill, hole 10 3' putts, hole 10 6' putts, practice left to right & right to left putts. The key is to not leave the green until you have completed one of these tasks completely. Also, I never leave the green until I hole a putt. Even before a round, I will visualize the green on the first hole & putt until I make it.

We sometimes play the 3 putt game. Everyone throws 5 bucks in at the beginning of the round and say it starts on me, once I 3 putt the money goes to the next person. When you finish 18 whoever it's on keeps the money. So the whole key is to not 3 putt.

nothing really fun for me. just tried and true stuff. the clock drill. distance drills (5 putts from 10', 5 putts from 15', 5 putts from 20', etc, always trying to hit the ball within 18" past the cup). and then just some random practice where i'll toss balls to different parts of the green, and go through my normal putting routine to try to simulate on-course conditions and pressure.

When I'm on the practice green I'll work my way around every hole and the first time I 3 putt I have to start over. It really puts an emphasis on getting it close on lag putts and can really give you experience with pressure on some knee knocker second putts.

I will be following this thread to see about the different games.

I don’t have any games, just go from 3,6,9 feet and have to make the putt prior before moving on to the next. If I miss any putt I have to start over. That is a bit boring for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use 2 balls, 5 holes. Ace is 3 everything else is one, but no more than 2 putts per ball. More than 2 putts is no points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=S6oZU45_W5A

My teams do this one daily. Only difference from the video is we use only two balls, object to score as many "points" as you can, if you can get 10 within the second two tees, you have fantastic pace control.

I need to practice putting a lot before the Grandaddy so I will using some of these ideas. Thanks!!

Back