Can anyone recommend me a putter?

Mr Boof

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all,

So I had a short game clinic a week or so ago and one of the things we discussed what being linear or non-linear with setup/aim. Turns out I am linear which is fine. The issue with that, was that I was setting up closed to my intended target every time. One of the things causing this was that my current putter (Spider Blade) is quite offset which had me aiming further left than I intend.

So the fix for this is to look for new shiny putters!! Downside, it is really hard to find non-offset putters that are NOT centre shafted. I really don't like the look of the shaft going into the middle of the face of the putter, so can anyone out there point me in the direction of a putter that is non-offset and non centre shafted?

I have only played blade putters but am willing to try out anything as putting is definitely NOT a strength of my golf game.

Thanks in advance all!

Where are you located? Find a place with a SAM putting lab like Club Champion. I did that 2.5+ years ago and went from going through multiple putters per year to using the same putter since then. You will get fit into the right head, right length and right loft for your stroke.

wubears71 has what is probably the best advice, but if you just want to jump in and experiment, SeeMore is the only putter make I can come up with off the top of my head that makes a putter that fits your description.

wubears71;n8885082 said:
Where are you located? Find a place with a SAM putting lab like Club Champion. I did that 2.5+ years ago and went from going through multiple putters per year to using the same putter since then. You will get fit into the right head, right length and right loft for your stroke.

Is CC in Australia?

Mr Boof;n8885077 said:
Hi all,

So I had a short game clinic a week or so ago and one of the things we discussed what being linear or non-linear with setup/aim. Turns out I am linear which is fine. The issue with that, was that I was setting up closed to my intended target every time. One of the things causing this was that my current putter (Spider Blade) is quite offset which had me aiming further left than I intend.

So the fix for this is to look for new shiny putters!! Downside, it is really hard to find non-offset putters that are NOT centre shafted. I really don't like the look of the shaft going into the middle of the face of the putter, so can anyone out there point me in the direction of a putter that is non-offset and non centre shafted?

I have only played blade putters but am willing to try out anything as putting is definitely NOT a strength of my golf game.

Thanks in advance all!

More than happy to help. We have some selections for you. Feel free to send us a note at info@seemore.com and we can put you in touch with SPi-TeamAUS. No worries!

OGputtnfool;n8885112 said:

Is CC in Australia?

Bingo, Perth W.A. So no CC for me. I've actually been to a place with a SAM Putlab before. Didn't go for a putter fitting, more a tune up of my non-existent putting stroke!

I'm a big fan of the red ball putter. There is a thread on here about it and it has helped me a great deal.

I've had my current putter for about 15 years. I got it when the one I was using lost it's head somewhere between the last place I played and the next. Got on the first green and pulled a stick... Putted with my wedge the rest of the day! Anyway, went to a store, they had a square putter display with a green in the center and a hundred or so putters all around. Picked up every single one of them, at least all the right handed ones. Put back anything that didn't 'feel' right. That left about 10, hit a few putts with each, narrowed it down to 4. Hit a few more, would have been happy with either of them and just picked the one I thought looked coolest. Black blade with a milled face! Never heard of the maker before, "Palm Springs" don't think I've seen another one anywhere else. I've hit other putters I've felt good with at shows and shops, just never felt the need to switch.

Why don’t you try a mallet with a long sightline? Much easier to align if you have issues than a blade.

Joelsim;n8885297 said:
Why don’t you try a mallet with a long sightline? Much easier to align if you have issues than a blade.

Agreed. I love my Toulon but the Marxman is so easy to align.

Parrot;n8885507 said:

The marxman is a must try. The stroke lab tech and the ease of alignment makes this putter amazing.

Parrot;n8885507 said:

Thanks, who makes the Marxman?

Mr Boof;n8885077 said:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance all!

I doubt your aiming left of the target line has anything to do with the amount of offset your putter has.
I suggest trying different length putters, as that alone will put you in different address positions (which are relevant to how you aim).
Also, spend some time trying different grip techniques. It is possible you are using a grip technique which is causing your putter face to point left at address.
And address ball position is very relevant as well. In general, players with a forward ball position have a tendency to have their putter face aimed left of the target. If you experiment with moving the ball position back in your stance I am certain you will immediately notice how this change influences the way you aim your putter.

Mr Boof;n8885077 said:
Turns out I am linear which is fine....So the fix for this is to look for new shiny putters!! Downside, it is really hard to find non-offset putters that are NOT centre shafted. I really don't like the look of the shaft going into the middle of the face of the putter

You may want to rethink that. As a linear putter, you would benefit from a center shafted putter.

Parrot;n8886198 said:

Thanks for that, just had a look :)
Is the EXO version this years version of that putter? Wondering what the point of the extra ~$160 price would be for?

DG_1234;n8886211 said:
I doubt your aiming left of the target line has anything to do with the amount of offset your putter has.
I suggest trying different length putters, as that alone will put you in different address positions (which are relevant to how you aim).
Also, spend some time trying different grip techniques. It is possible you are using a grip technique which is causing your putter face to point left at address.
And address ball position is very relevant as well. In general, players with a forward ball position have a tendency to have their putter face aimed left of the target. If you experiment with moving the ball position back in your stance I am certain you will immediately notice how this change influences the way you aim your putter.

I wasn't aware that offset had a great impact with putters either until a very reputable coach informed me otherwise. My ball position is centred. I have not tried different grips at this stage so that might be something to look at!

leftshot;n8886215 said:
You may want to rethink that. As a linear putter, you would benefit from a center shafted putter.

I hope not, as they are disgusting to look at! Just can't get my head around

Mr Boof;n8886284 said:
Thanks for that, just had a look :)
Is the EXO version this years version of that putter? Wondering what the point of the extra ~$160 price would be for?

Stroke Labs are this year’s putters. You have the regular SL Marxman and the SL EXO Marxman. The Stroke Lab shaft is a game changer. And, if I remember it correctly, according to the Odyssey guys, the EXO models have the highest MOI of any putter Odyssey makes.

Check Callaway Pre-owned. They have good deals running now.

Mr Boof;n8886284 said:
My ball position is centred. I have not tried different grips at this stage so that might be something to look at!

For grip technique try the following :

1) set a putter down , aim its face at the target, but do not grip the club. So now you have the putter sitting properly, with no influence on aim by how you grip the club.

2) now adopt your grip. Did the putter face move, in your case to aim left , either right from the start or after you had looked at the ball and the target a bit? If so you know it is your grip technique that is causing the putter pace to aim left.

So I went and had a look at the Marxman putters today at a local big name store here in Aus. I didn't like the grip although that can be changed easily. I found the Exo version to be too light in the head compared to the non exo version. Although the Exo version looked better down at the ball. However, if I was to get one, i'd have to go on the feel as opposed to the look at this stage. Both felt as though they rolled the same, but being on fake grass, the slightest tap makes the ball go for miles. More testing required!

Might need to hit up See More and see what they have on offer as well. :)

Back