Help me ditch my forward press

manhattan01

Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 9.8
So, I've been struggling with my putts under 12'. Always pulling them and I've made one from that distance in the last 8 rounds.

I've incorporated a forward press in my putting stroke many years ago butt one thing I noticed after my last round is that I'm moving my hands a good 2" forward. The thinking is that I've closed the putter face too much or poorly.

So, practised tonight and putts roll straighter but damn if I can't get the tempo and feel. Without the press just before I take away, I feel like so shaky/uncertain like I'm not ready to start the motion.

Anyone successfully remove a press from their putts?

Unfortunately no. But I do have a similar move to Begin my putting stroke. I also can have rounds where I get to pulling. I practice making the move as small as possible. That's about all I can do because I am actually a decent putter and I am not without this little move to get my stroke moving smoothly. I'm with you there. Wish I could be more help.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

manhattan01;n8886412 said:
So, I've been struggling with my putts under 12'. Always pulling them and I've made one from that distance in the last 8 rounds.

I've incorporated a forward press in my putting stroke many years ago butt one thing I noticed after my last round is that I'm moving my hands a good 2" forward. The thinking is that I've closed the putter face too much or poorly.

So, practised tonight and putts roll straighter but damn if I can't get the tempo and feel. Without the press just before I take away, I feel like so shaky/uncertain like I'm not ready to start the motion.

Maybe if you could somehow turn that 2" into a little bump it could make a big difference? I was thinking about your post vs my move and I don't think it's anywhere near 2". I make a little move with my smaller muscles in the arms/wrists I guess .. forward and if anything upwards. It is like a forward press I guess but it it fluid. It's just a slip second and then my bigger muscles take over for the pendulum/stroke. If I try to get rid of it no way. My stroke depends on a little bump.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Maybe silly on my part but have you thought about just keeping the press, as it's essentially ingrained as part of your stroke, and trying to set up with your hands a little farther back, so that the press gets your hands into your target position?

Why remove it? Some of the best players in the world use a forward press to start their stroke. Maybe your pulling putts cause your putter is too upright?

Id suggest get a good putter fitting like club champion or a local trusted pro. They can set you up with a putter with specs that match your stroke to help with the forward press.

Exactly what I was gonna say. Swing your swing. Find a tool (club) that matches your swing.

So played a round today with the new stroke and it felt odd but I was hitting my lines more than before. Had some issue with pace but I blame a bit of that on the rain. There was only one putt that I inadvertently put a slight press on.

Previous 4 rounds I was around 38. Today I finished with 33. Above all, I just felt more confident as the round wore on.

I won't rule out the press because I do like how it tells my brain it's time to start...I just think I was exaggerating it too much.

OGputtnfool;n8887519 said:
Exactly what I was gonna say. Swing your swing. Find a tool (club) that matches your swing.
Funny...I ordered a Stroke Lab #7 in the hopes a mallet might help. One round doesn't make a pattern but you may see a SL in the marketplace soon

Yep I'd definitely keep it. Having a trigger to start isn't a bad thing as all. You just need to make sure that you have the right tool, and a repeatable stroke

manhattan01;n8887548 said:
Funny...I ordered a Stroke Lab #7 in the hopes a mallet might help. One round doesn't make a pattern but you may see a SL in the marketplace soon

I agree with OG on this one. A mallet may be fine, but the neck, toe hang, loft/lie, weight (head, total, swing weight) could be the problem.

My opinion is most people are playing the wrong putter and have half learned how to subconsciously adjust to make them somewhat work. As in sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Pick a grip (how you place your hands on the club), a ball position, and stance that you are comfortable with and feel like you can repeat. Then get fit on a SAM PuttLab for a putter that works best for you and your chosen grip, ball position, and stance. Then all you have to worry about is reading the greens and distance control. But with the putter properly fit for you, the ball should start rolling properly and on your intended line. That should also make 3-4 foots essentially gimmes for you.

-CRW-;n8887557 said:
Then get fit on a SAM PuttLab for a putter that works best for you and your chosen grip, ball position, and stance.

Yeah, I need to do this. I tried once at my local fitter using a Quintec system...problem we ran into was that it was a new system for them and the guy didn't know how to use it well and ended up fitting me by his more conventional means.

Hopefully they've ironed out the kinks and I can give it another go.

manhattan01;n8887579 said:
Yeah, I need to do this. I tried once at my local fitter using a Quintec system...problem we ran into was that it was a new system for them and the guy didn't know how to use it well and ended up fitting me by his more conventional means.

Hopefully they've ironed out the kinks and I can give it another go.

126 miles / 2:44 from Surrey, BC to Club Champion in Bellevue, WA. You'll be glad you made the trip.

I was able to but it took time and a lot of frustration mentally. It took loosening my grip pressure and moving to a mallet head over a blade head.

OGputtnfool;n8887587 said:
126 miles / 2:44 from Surrey, BC to Club Champion in Bellevue, WA. You'll be glad you made the trip.
I can do this. Bring the family down for the weekend - we love the Seattle area. A session takes... about an hour I would assume?

Or forget the family and book a chambers bay weekend

manhattan01;n8887632 said:
I can do this. Bring the family down for the weekend - we love the Seattle area. A session takes... about an hour I would assume?

Or forget the family and book a chambers bay weekend

I think Morgan Creek has a pretty sophisticated putting fitting center now. I'd give them a call at least.

And don't even think you're playing Chambers Bay without me.

Don’t do it. Just try to make the forward press smaller.

Ok. Going to try various amounts of press next time I'm at the practise greens. Even my instructor when I took putting lessons said it was good I have it incorporated. Also, watched a bunch of putting videos and I see a lot of pros with a good amount of press in their strike too.

Back