Mallet or Blade: Which do you prefer?

This is my first mallet and my distance control is great but I'm not as automatic on shorter putts.

I played the Wilson 8802 for 20 years. Just recently swapped to a mallet. Ben Hogan BHM01! Never looking back!

B@$tard step child for me, SL Double Wide has what I need for heft with the blade look. As long as it's face balanced though I can use either with confidence.

Mallet suits my eye. I like the shape of the Futura 5M/5.5M/7M, Odyssey 7 or Las Vegas. A top line is a must as I used it to align the putter to my ball.

Mallet. Although I also like a mallety blade.

Attachments

• photo36340.jpg
    photo36340.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I've found that I'm far better at putting with a mallet. Thankfully, there's several shapes that I really like.

Blades for me.

Once I went mallet 15 years ago, I never went back.

Have used both off and on over the years. Right now I'm using a blade and actually prefer them now.

Long term I’ve always been a mallet guy.

I have had some epic runs with a Ping Anser Redwood blade though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsw1519;n8886446 said:
So far Mallet hands down. I just seem to have much better distance control with a mallet. I am intrigued by the stroke lab double wide though, and do want to try one.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

Me, too. The Double Wide is mallet enough for my eye.

I have flirted with mallets but always go back to a blade or modified blade (#9 style head).

I'm sure there is a mallet that will end up being perfect for me but so far between a scotty futura and 3 spiders I haven't found something that stays long term in the bag.

I wont get rid of my spider x, I will likely find some weights to lower the headweight a bit but until then I'll stay with what I have and not change until i need to look at something different.

M2Giles;n8889341 said:
I have flirted with mallets but always go back to a blade or modified blade (#9 style head).

I'm sure there is a mallet that will end up being perfect for me but so far between a scotty futura and 3 spiders I haven't found something that stays long term in the bag.

I wont get rid of my spider x, I will likely find some weights to lower the headweight a bit but until then I'll stay with what I have and not change until i need to look at something different.

Most mallets are smaller than those.

I tried a mallet a few times but always went back to a blade. The mallets that I tried were OK on shorter putts but on longer ones my accuracy was garbage.

I've always used a blade until this year. I got a 7s, and haven't been that great with it, so last round I went back to the blade and putted much better.

Wide blade is probably the best answer for me, since it looks more like a blade (which I prefer), but offers some of the stability of a mallet.

I feel like I usually putt reasonably well with a blade -- never awful, but never spectacular either. They're so simple to look at that I don't overthink anything; I just pick my line and go. And because of that, I think my speed is generally pretty good. But I'm sure I also miss some putts left and right just because of a blade twisting in my hands a little, where a mallet likely wouldn't.

Mallets can be lights out, best putting days ever for me. But I can also overthink, and get caught up in, the alignment elements, and really jack up my speed control.

Used to think I was a mallet guy but I putt so much better with a blade

I go back and forth..... right now its mallet, but honestly, I'm not sure that I putt better or worse.... streaky I guess

Sticking with a blade. I have good touch with it due to a very heavy head. 370 grams. Plus, my 2 mallet style have soft inserts that feel mushy with a soft cover ball. Would have to really demo a modern mallet to convince to make the switch at current putter prices.

Blade, but it need to be face balanced. A Mallet just does not look right to me even if there are more options in that style.

I have gamed a blade for more than 25 years (Ping Ansers). I have tried mallets but I always find myself reverting back to the Anser. I’m currently interested in a mallet because I have a tendency to pull short putts with the Anser and hope a mallet may help me with those putts.

Blade - back to the Nead after trying some odyssey goodness

McLovin;n8886474 said:
prefer blade. have to play a mallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Same

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rallo;n8892285 said:
Same

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

it's so weird. i played blade FOREVER. even considered myself a decent putter. then one day, the yips knocked on my door. fast forward a few years and i'm putting with a modified diy claw grip, and it's working pretty well. but i have to use a mallet, cuz i get all yippy again with a blade.

Back