The $199 OEM Putter - Would you? Could you?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Im working with a putter right now that has reviewed, for me, better than any mallet I’ve ever used both design/shape wise and function....

And it’s $199 from an OEM.

Could you game it? Would your ego let you? Some will say “whatever gets the ball in the hole!” but do you MEAN it? If it’s a similar shape to something else will that drive you away as being a “copycat” based of brand allegiances?

Lets talk about it....could be fun....

I like a 315 to 330 gram putter head and as far as I know all the OEM's offer new these days are 340 gram or heavier putter heads. So, my collection of putters is OEM models from 30 years ago or newer custom made boutique putter maker light weight head putters.
If an OEM came out with a 320 gram head weight putter today I would likely buy it, whether the price be $99, $199, $299, or $399.

I’m not sure I understand what the question was. I would not pay $200 for ANY putter,. But I don’t know if that’s exactly what you were asking.

• Staff
Et Tu Brute?;n8889263 said:
I’m not sure I understand what the question was. I would not pay $200 for ANY putter,. But I don’t know if that’s exactly what you were asking.

Well, if you won’t pay that range for a putter then you HAVE answered the question.

But, in golf (specifically putters) the overall portion of golfers relate price and quality, right or wrong. So in an age of 399.00+ being a reality for many with their putters (my gamer is WAY beyond that as well so I situate in that realm), the question becomes would they be willing to bet on a 199.00 putter?

Pretty straight forward discussion imo.

I play THIS medieval battle axe so yes, I'd play virtually anything.
a3c252834371536d634a3a9da7e402de.jpg

• Staff
DG_1234;n8889254 said:
I like a 315 to 330 gram putter head and as far as I know all the OEM's offer new these days are 340 gram or heavier putter heads. So, my collection of putters is OEM models from 30 years ago or newer custom made boutique putter maker light weight head putters.
If an OEM came out with a 320 gram head weight putter today I would likely buy it, whether the price be $99, $199, $299, or $399.

Don’t hold your breath waiting for that to happen haha. On modern greens, the days of super light putter heads have gone by the wayside. There will always remain some 335 range designs out there, but odds are no lighter than that.

• Staff
WMac19 ;n8889267 said:
This post is amazing sir. Much respect. Hahaha

Jman;n8889268 said:
Don’t hold your breath waiting for that to happen haha. On modern greens, the days of super light putter heads have gone by the wayside. There will always remain some 335 range designs out there, but odds are no lighter than that.

Yet Tiger and Fowler play putters in the 318 to 325 gram head weight range, and Bubba just went back to playing his old 328 gram putter head.

Jman;n8889270 said:
This post is amazing sir. Much respect. Hahaha
LOL...

Last season, I'd met a new member on the putting green. Really good player with a bag full of new gear and understandably excited about it.

We were talking equipment and manufacturers when he said, "many say that they'll play anything but let's face it, they really mean anything from the top companies."

I'd yet to pull my putter so when I did and handed it to him, with wide eyes he says, "whoa!!! Except you! You'll play absolutely anything from this planet or beyond."

LOL...

DG_1234;n8889271 said:
Yet Tiger and Fowler play putters in the 318 to 325 gram head weight range, and Bubba just went back to playing his old 328 gram putter head.

And they play/putt on glass each week. Amateurs for the vast majority, don’t.

I play my Cleveland HB as much as I play my other putters.

And i always put it in my bag iif it’s raining!

I could, would and have. Ive got a Wilson Staff 8802 that was around $200 and its a beautiful putter that rolls the ball well. I mean, its certainly less crazy than spending $400 on a new Cameron.

are you wondering if people will dismiss it as cheap? kinda like cleveland’s putters? they’re great, but many perceive them as inferior simply because they’re less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The putter market is the strangest space in golf. There are a bunch of people who think that a putter must be expensive and have a big name on it and then there are a bunch of people who think $150 is $50 to much. The rest of the clubs in the bag we all seem to agree newer and more expensive is for the most part better, but no such consensus has arisen with regards to putters.

IMO I am a used putter guy, but I love the BHB02 I got from Ben Hogan and it is an extremely high quality putter. Of course many in that thread think it is way overpriced regardless of how well it works.

First and foremost I have to like the look at address. If it fits that criteria, next is feel/sound at impact. If those two boxes are checked and I’m draining putts I will put it the bag without hesitation.

I think putter prices have just skyrocketed. $200 would absolutely make something playable. I remember when you could get a damn good OEM putter for $100-120

DG_1234;n8889271 said:

Most amateur golfers suffer from inconsistent strike. Adding headweight calms the stroke down. For the elite golfers out there sure they can fine tune exactly.

If you want a lightweight blade, ping offers them still. But they will recommend the benefit of a heavier putter.

I have one of those $99 Dick's Sporting Goods mallets and putt well with it but man, is that thing heavy. I much prefer putting with my lightweight 70's vintage Ansers but the results are at least a stroke a hole better with the mallet.

Wish someone would sell a lightweight mallet like the old original Zebra mallets were if you left the removable weights out completely. Something in the 320-something gram range IIRC. Those were sweet.

WMac19;n8889267 said:
a3c252834371536d634a3a9da7e402de.jpg

Legit lol. That thing is awful.

Yes 200 is still a whole lot.

For me the price is a non-issue. If I really like a putter $200 is probably a selling point to be honest.
I have no ego issues with playing a mallet in general, but admittedly some of the uglier ones I wouldn't even pick up in a golf store let alone buy.
I don't like copycats in the golf industry, but admittedly it's hard to know where to draw the line. With all the money and brains involved surely companies can come up with their own designs & schticks. I'm not sure that I'd refuse to game a putter because it was a copy though.

M2Giles;n8889328 said:
Most amateur golfers suffer from inconsistent strike. Adding headweight calms the stroke down. For the elite golfers out there sure they can fine tune exactly.

If you want a lightweight blade, ping offers them still. But they will recommend the benefit of a heavier putter.

Yes, I know the theoretical reasoning behind heavier head putters. But, my observation of other players putting, as well as my own game, is that traditional head weights of 305 to 325 grams may benefit many players.
Ping employees always promote whichever are the company's current models.

I could, my ego doesn't get a say in the play. I mean, it's a putter. If it performs that task for me better than the rest, it's my putter.

I'd game this

hello-kitty-putter-3129fg1.jpg

if it did the job best.

Sure. I do not believe that a higher priced putter necessarily means better performance.

Love the Cleveland Classics and Huntington Beach lines, and both those come in at the lower end. On the other end, I play a Swag putter, and play great with it too.

Putters are so darned personal. What works for some, won't work for others. If the one that works for you is lower priced, well more savings for you!

ArmyGolf;n8889355 said:
For me the price is a non-issue. If I really like a putter $200 is probably a selling point to be honest.
I have no ego issues with playing a mallet in general, but admittedly some of the uglier ones I wouldn't even pick up in a golf store let alone buy.
I don't like copycats in the golf industry, but admittedly it's hard to know where to draw the line. With all the money and brains involved surely companies can come up with their own designs & schticks. I'm not sure that I'd refuse to game a putter because it was a copy though.

The copy thing with putters always makes me smile a bit, where would we be now if everyone and their mother didn’t copy Karsten? Haha

Honestly, im shocked imitation doesn’t happen SOONER. Imo it took someone like TM way too long to create a 1W, etc.

Its such a fun conversation.

No question. I think the OWorks line came in under $200. And the Cleveland lines even lower. There’s a lot of value in putters in that price range.

Back