The $199 OEM Putter - Would you? Could you?

Jman;n8889377 said:
The copy thing with putters always makes me smile a bit, where would we be now if everyone and their mother didn’t copy Karsten? Haha

Honestly, im shocked imitation doesn’t happen SOONER. Imo it took someone like TM way too long to create a 1W, etc.

Its such a fun conversation.

Admittedly I'm not sure why people (including myself) give the Answer shapes a pass but get all worked up when someone copies a #7 (for example). I try to be consistent in my "righteous judgement" though lol. I didn't like it when Odyssey copied Taylormade's red paint, I didn't like it when Taylormade attempted to copy Truvis etc etc.

Once enough time passes it actually becomes a good thing when everyone copies each other. I think about how much choice and selection I have as a lover of the Anser1 shape because every mind in the last 20-30 years has released their interpretation of it.

Heck yeah I would game it. I'll putt with anything, regardless of price, that will help me get the ball in the hole more often.

In my mind $199 is still a pretty big number. As long as it looks good, has a quality look and performs well the price isn't a huge deal. Price is going to dictate if I try it less than the brand name on the putter to be honest.

Would all depend on looks and sound/feel. If I donÂ’t like looking at it or like hearing it hit putts, itÂ’s not getting played no matter how good it possibly is. Other than that, the cost doesnÂ’t matter at all.

DG_1234;n8889363 said:
Yes, I know the theoretical reasoning behind heavier head putters. But, my observation of other players putting, as well as my own game, is that traditional head weights of 305 to 325 grams may benefit many players.
Ping employees always promote whichever are the company's current models.

Their current models can be ordered quite light. They also have an insane custom shop through the wrx program. If you want it made they will make it and fit you.

c0ncept;n8889324 said:
I think putter prices have just skyrocketed. $200 would absolutely make something playable. I remember when you could get a damn good OEM putter for $100-120

When was that?

c0ncept ;n8889324 said:
I remember when you could get a damn good OEM putter for $100-120

You still can!

Jman;n8889377 said:
The copy thing with putters always makes me smile a bit, where would we be now if everyone and their mother didn’t copy Karsten? Haha

Honestly, im shocked imitation doesn’t happen SOONER. Imo it took someone like TM way too long to create a 1W, etc.

Its such a fun conversation.

I was reading this thread in its entirety to see if anyone had mentioned this. Putters are so often copied and no one blinks an eye. Then, for some unknown reason, a certain design will get copied and everyone goes Bats**t. It's ridiculous.

OGputtnfool;n8889429 said:
I was reading this thread in its entirety to see if anyone had mentioned this. Putters are so often copied and no one blinks an eye. Then, for some unknown reason, a certain design will get copied and everyone goes Bats**t. It's ridiculous.

I don’t think it’s ridiculous, imo it’s just mainly brand allegiance, and there’s nothing wrong with that at all.

Im eager to see what people think of the putter I can’t talk about, and hopeful people actually jump in on the conversation, good, bad, or indifferent.

Jman;n8889250 said:
Im working with a putter right now that has reviewed, for me, better than any mallet I’ve ever used both design/shape wise and function....

And it’s $199 from an OEM.

Could you game it? Would your ego let you? Some will say “whatever gets the ball in the hole!” but do you MEAN it? If it’s a similar shape to something else will that drive you away as being a “copycat” based of brand allegiances?

Lets talk about it....could be fun....

I definitely would, I for one believe that clubs and putters have gone up way more than they should have. But people are paying it. I always waited a couple of years and bought new at drastically cheeper. Lets face it, my irons i play most days were free except for the shafts AND i am gaming a putter that was given to me.

Last edited:
M2Giles;n8889400 said:
Their current models can be ordered quite light. They also have an insane custom shop through the wrx program. If you want it made they will make it and fit you.

For PIng, I think two of their current models, if the lightest available weights are used, can be finished at 340 gram head weight. As for the WRX department putter options, I doubtthey would grind away metal to reduce a putter's head weight. Otherthan that I don't know what available option they would have to produce a 320 or 325 gram putter head.
The reality is that ebay has hundreds of 305 to 320 gram Ping putter heads. Tuesday I am playing 36 holes and will use a 30 year old Ping Scottsdale Anser, 316 gram bronze head. So, it's easy to find traditional putter head weights.
The OP wrote about "new OEM", and for that it is all 340 gram or heavier head weights.

DG_1234;n8889485 said:
For PIng, I think two of their current models, if the lightest available weights are used, can be finished at 340 gram head weight. As for the WRX department putter options, I doubtthey would grind away metal to reduce a putter's head weight. Otherthan that I don't know what available option they would have to produce a 320 or 325 gram putter head.
The reality is that ebay has hundreds of 305 to 320 gram Ping putter heads. Tuesday I am playing 36 holes and will use a 30 year old Ping Scottsdale Anser, 316 gram bronze head. So, it's easy to find traditional putter head weights.
The OP wrote about "new OEM", and for that it is all 340 gram or heavier head weights.

They don’t grind it away. They port them.

They can go that light, as can any custom putter maker out there.

I played a Cleveland putter for almost full year that was $99, so $200 putter probably wouldn't bother me. That being said, I have never been a mallet fan, prefer blades.

I think I would game it if the ball goes in the hole. There is some really, really good stuff out there and I know I'm excited as heck to learn more.

Edit - the "copycat" moniker doesn't really matter. There aren't a ton of original designs in putter these days. Execution has to matter

Given the offerings available at or below that price point, yes, I would (and have) put putters from Cleveland and Wilson Staff that sit below the $200 mark in the bag. I think you need to hunt around to find a look & feel that suit you before diving into an expensive putter. I think the putter I'm gaming now camped out around that price point new.

I have gamed a Huntington Beach #1 all season. I see no reason to ever spend $300+ on a milled Anser/Newport shape ever again.

I don't care what it looks like if it works. I'll play an ugly putter. I won't pay $200 for a putter though.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Hell yes I am looking at and playing a putter that costs $200 and performs as good or better then more expensive models. Price on secondary market could potentially be even more appealing.

Jman;n8889492 said:
They don’t grind it away. They port them.

They can go that light, as can any custom putter maker out there.

I do have a collection of older cast head putters and newer 100% milled custom order putters , all in the 305 to 335 head weight range. The lightest heads I have fitted to longer shafts (36" to 36.5"). The heavier heads have shorter shafts (34.5" to 35" ). I choose the grip weight to use based on the putter's head weight and shaft length.

I played this for over 10 years, and I think it cost $35 when I got it. Plus my friends decided it looked like a compass and started calling me Magellan. But I made a lot of putts with it. I only moved to a name brand modern putter when it fell in my garage, didn't get noticed, and got run over.

192.jpg

I’ve played putters that cost $30-$500 with about the same results. If the $199 putter gave me good results I’d buy it in a heartbeat

I’d play it for sure, if it was the best mallet I’d ever used. For me, that would mean it fit my eye, was forgiven, easy to line up, and had a great feeling insert (I tend to lean towards inserts). Can’t wait to hear more about this one when you are allowed to spill the beans.

I bought my custom putter 18 years ago for $170 when Scotty Cameron’s were going for $249. It is still in the bag. A heavy head Anser/Newport 2 style putter from Vons Golf that has served me well.

$200 is probably my limit for a putter, but yeah, I would do it.

200 bucks would be awesome depending on how it feels.

Back