Wilson C300 and C300 Forged Irons

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
Wilson brings the C300 and C300 Forged and THPers were the first in the country to put these irons (both sets) into play. This thread will serve as host for all of the thoughts, reviews, feedback and conversation about these new irons.

The Wilson C300 irons utilize the Power Hole construction in introduced in the D300 line in a Crossover player profile. FLX Face technology has carried over from the C200 line as well to maximize ball speed at impact. Designed to bridge the gap between the D300 line the C300 Forged, it gives consumers a more playable, but extremely forgiving option. THPers in #THPStaff Proto have been playing them for a month now as well and can probably give some great feedback. Feel free to ask questions as well.

The Wilson C300 Forged irons are one of two new sets Wilson is bringing to market in January 2018. Some THPers got an early look and have been playing them since the #THPStaffProto event in Las Vegas. As you can see, Wilson has incorporated Power Hole technology, combining it with the feel and finish of a forged iron. The Power Holes differ in this line the the standard C300 in that they are only on the sole of the club, versus the C300 on the entire perimeter. FLX Face technology has carried over from the C200 line as well to maximize ball speed at impact. I am sure a few THPers will share their thoughts as well as answer any questions you may have.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wilson C300 Irons

Wilson C300 Irons

The Wilson C300 iron is the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] in the new C300 line coming from Wilson in 2018. The irons utilize the Power Hole construction in introduced in the D300 line in a Crossover player profile. FLX Face technology has carried over from the C200 line as well to maximize ball speed at impact. Designed to bridge the gap between the D300 line the C300 Forged, it gives consumers a more playable, but extremely forgiving option. THPers in #THPStaff Proto have been playing them for a month now as well and can probably give some great feedback. Feel free to ask questions as well.

Wow those look great!! Are the Power Holes distracting or did you get used to it pretty quickly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting...they look nice. I'd like to see a picture of the back of the face from a little further out.

ooh, daddy likey...

When do they hit stores? I’d give them a demo for sure.

They look so friggin good in person. My goodness

Oh hello. These are not what I was expecting. They look great.

OK soooo I know this should have been done a bit ago haha, but I was wanting to get some more testing done and devote appropriate time to convey my thoughts on these irons. I would generally put pictures with my reviews, but that became nixed for the time being in respects to Wilson and THP requests which I am more than happy to accommodate haha :)

Myself:
Now I do enjoy Wilson Staff clubs. I guess you might say I have a soft spot for them, but if the clubs don't work for me, I won't play them. I tend to gravitate towards the smaller OEMs any how. I am a mid handicapper. Right before the trip I was sitting around 13-14 ish. Currently my last update put me at 11.5-12. Strength of my game is short game. Any time I am 100 yards and in, i am pretty dang confident that I will do what I am looking to do wedge wise. Putting I love to practice and i don't three putt often. It does happen of course, but it's not common. Driver was a big weakness of mine, but recently in the past 3 months I have been dedicating practice to it and am now competent haha. It's the progress here why I have been lowered my HC. Iron play is pretty so so. My main miss is thin or heel strike.
I came into this event playing Wilson Fg 100s. Ya ya a guy who's no good playing blades :) I have stated why I play them a few times across this board and if you want to know more on why we can PM as this is not the post for that :).
Looks:

This has been touched on for the most part with others, but since I think I was only one who played blades on this trip (Again not 100%), I will touch on it again. When I unboxed them I was in awe. Not because I was just given a brand new set of irons, but because of the sexy shape and appeal they had right off the bat. Semi having an idea of what these irons were supposed to be, I had an idea of what to expect in a sense. I was wrong and not in a bad way. The irons just screamed player (I have stated this before). While they are certainly no blade, they are probably one of the best looking irons in their category. As others have said, very AP2ish. Not distracting with the overuse of different colors/badging/etc like i feel some of their past irons have done. They did incorporate the power holes in the forged iron. What they did differently and what I think will certainly help sell these things, is keep them off the top line. While others have said the c200 wasn't that bad once you hit them/saw result, I know many who wouldn't even give them a chance due to the power holes/slots being a part of the top line. They placed a second row of slots in the bottom/sole of the iron. The slots run through the 8 iron with the 9 and PW being "free" of them.
Top line is thicker than what I am used to obviously, but it is not something that would make me say ughh. They are probably thicker than some in the category, but skinnier than others. A good middle ground. Sole has some width to it, but for most, it will be of some use and many won't even think it's bad. With my thin hits being my miss I certainly like thinner soles, but after playing these for the past month or so, I can't say they have been a negative. Offset isn't huge, but unless its something massive like SGI type irons, I won't notice it anyway (mostly haha). Blade length in the long irons are longer than my 100s (duh), but funny enough, while the profile is a bit bigger in the short irons, the blade length is very comparable from the 7 iron down.

Feel/Sound:

I think Wilson hit the feel department out of the park with these. They feel really good around the face in the short irons while still being able to get the feedback of where you hit them on the face. Longer irons, like most clubs, when hit out of the center, they feel pretty clicky/hollow/not friendly.

Ball Flight:

I initially thought these flew much higher for me. After some good time out on the course with these, I can say the short irons do fly a tad higher. I am a high ball hitter with the short irons any how, but since these are not overly high, I am assuming the spin is down as well. IF the spin was similar to my 100s (much like the F5s were for me) I would imagine these short irons would be shooting moon balls which they don't when I execute. Long irons, they are flying a tad higher, but still not high. Since I don't swing super fast like Fupresti haha, my typical long iron is used for a controlled long shot that flies lower than it should. These are similar, but I am gaining distance due to the slightly higher flight.

Playing:

I think these are very playable irons. While any club can work the ball, there are certainly clubs that are easier to do it controllably. I have noticed that while I can definitely get these to turn over and move right to left, it takes a much bigger effort compared to my 100s (obviously). What I am having trouble doing is actually putting a controlled draw on the ball with these. Better ball strikers than I can probably do it easier than myself, but since my path is slightly more left than right, I have to work hard at moving it to the left :) With that said, I can certainly put a nice high fade on the ball which has come in handy. In general though, these irons certainly give you confidence that your shot will go in the direction you're trying to hit it/where the face is pointing at impact.
My distances are increased slightly. I feel this is likely due to a couple of reasons. One, lofts are a bit different than my 100s as one would expect. Not sure if I can specify just yet..... but I think we know what I am referring to in that aspect (if i need to delete this part please do so). The second part of why I have seen increases are due to the higher flight Apex of the long irons.
I will say that on mis hits, my distances in the short irons are pretty consistent. a little loss in distance, but it's not shattering. Long irons are pretty similar. This does change how I play the game a little bit. With the 100s for most courses/green complexes, I will distance for the back of the green and take that club. Now, I will tend to just get a distance to the middle of the green and shoot for that.

Scoring:

With all of this said. What does this actually mean/how has it affected my scores? I have always felt that my iron play doesn't truly affect my scores (for the most part). Yes, if I hit more greens, I will score lower in general, but I personally have seen, my GIR percentages are related to my driving stats for the round. Not just hitting the fairway, but having a legitimate shot into a green. IF I drive well, I have a great chance of hitting the green no matter what iron I am hitting. Doesn't matter if its the "unforgiving" blade or the more friendly C300 Forged. Although, I will have to admit that my par 3 GIR has gone up ever so slightly with the new irons.
My scoring has been about 5 strokes better average wise. I have had two low rounds of 82 which is two strokes higher than my personal best which I shot with my 100s.

Random Thoughts:
I still have a few more tests to do, but thus far, I will say these irons have opened my eyes a little more. I certainly won't be moving to these irons 100% of the time. They will be in a rotation with my 100s. I do really love these though. Much more than I thought I would. I wasn't a fan at all of the F5s that these are replacing. They were kinda clicky for a forged iron. I also thought the marketing behind them were pretty gimmicky. I am not quite sure if I think these irons are the same or not. The power slots/holes I think do have a purpose, but without seeing what the R&D guys have to prove data wise, not sure if the second row have a true and purposeful impact on the outcome of shots/behavior of mishits/etc. I would also like to know, why the forged can go without the topline holes, but they feel the cast need them. Are they again, just more marketing or do they do something that some amateurs need, but not the ones that want a forged/less busy look from address? I would imagine they help increase ball speed/flex with higher on the face shots. I also don't think they are needed i guess, but I also don't have that miss with irons.
I know that last bit sounds pretty negative, but just my thoughts on some of this visible tech. I'm no engineer so I may be completely off base and that's why its just thoughts and not to be taken as preaching to not believe marketing/R&D haha. Overall impressions of these irons are nothing but positive though. I am really glad they took off the slots from the top. I wish it could be a tad bit thinner, but they are in no way overly thick and ugly. In a more friendly iron, these are probably the best looking ones on the market. Only ones I would maybe choose over due to looks alone would be the AP2, 575 (srixon), and the new AP3 (not sure if these are technically in the same class or not, but the AP3 looks dang nice for what it is haha). I think Wilson is getting better and better at delivering a product to bring them out of the depths/dark years of most of the 90s/early 2000s. Every release seems to be right there and increasing market share. I don't think they will ever be the main equipment product on tour, but I'm not sure they want/need to be. They aren't all about throwing money to get people to play equipment or to try and sign the biggest names in the big leagues of golf. Do I wish they would throw a tad more and get some of the up and comers on the Web or in college? sure haha but As TC told us in Vegas, it is about responsible growth. I can respect and understand that. I just wish more people would give them a shot. I know people here and other online golf junkies will some times, but the average person I speak to are like no way man. Just doing themselves an injustice. Of course when they see how good my 100s and my c300s look and let them hit one or two, they tend to enjoy it :)

I will try to add more as I test and hopefully get a really good final test done soon. To be continued:

Last edited:
Hot diggity dog, very V6-ish (or V2-ish) in the looks department. I'm loving it.

When do they hit stores? I’d give them a demo for sure.

January.

They look so friggin good in person. My goodness

Your eyes when you saw them were funny. Didnt expect that at all.

Oh hello. These are not what I was expecting. They look great.

THP Events...haha
On a serious note, they look better in person. Im sure there will be a ton of feedback coming up soon too.

I like that they left the slots off of the top line for the forged version. Has pricing been established?

THP Events...haha
On a serious note, they look better in person. Im sure there will be a ton of feedback coming up soon too.

Oh I know. One of these days it will happen.

Are they a low spin head?

I like that they left the slots off of the top line for the forged version. Has pricing been established?

We can not discuss pricing but I can tell you they will be extremely competitive in the space they are up against.

I hit Ramblers and I'm a fan.

We can not discuss pricing but I can tell you they will be extremely competitive in the space they are up against.

Can you divulge loft and spin info?

Your eyes when you saw them were funny. Didnt expect that at all.

Not one bit. I was like wait what?

Shaft options, up charge? Price point? Club looks really nice, would be interested to see some launch monitor stats

Those look really good. What type of player are these targeted toward? I love how they have that V6ish look to them.

Wow those look great!! Are the Power Holes distracting or did you get used to it pretty quickly?
I don't play the C300's (yet), but I do play the C200's. After a couple of swings, you don't even know they're there.

I like the looks of these a lot more than the C200s, especially in the cavity. Sharp.

So am I seeing a second row of power holes in the sole there?

I don't play the C300's (yet), but I do play the C200's. After a couple of swings, you don't even know they're there.

Awesome! Does it help with feel?

Back