Callaway MD4 Wedges

Pretty good looking murdered out w the Onyx TI S400s and the whiteout NDMC too.

6dee3cfd8ce00e759b652454fa3af512.jpg
I'm not sure how I missed this, but that is DIRTY! The combo I am looking at myself too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I will add my two cents... I had some Glide 2 wedges and a Titleist 917 driver that had been gathering dust, so I traded them in and added a little cash to acquire three new MD4 wedges, a 52 S bent to 51, a 56 S bent to 55, and a 60 X grind. I played them today during a quick 9 and then messed around with them for a bit after finishing the 9.

They do not feel as soft as my MD forged, but they have a very satisfying feel, sort of a soft, dense sensation, if that makes any sense. They are fantastic with full swings. They spin madly, as much as any wedge I have ever played. The yardages are good. They are truly easy to hit with full swings. I have not yet tried them out of the sand, so I cannot speak to them there. I was struggling with the X grind during my round. After the round, I got a feel for it. Here is my warning on the X grind. You CANNOT come at the ball with a steep swing. If you do, you will struggle. The club will dig. If you make sure you shallow out the swing, the club becomes magical. The ball will stop exactly where it lands like it is a magnet and the ground is a big piece of iron.

I think I am going to really like them, but they are not as easy to use out of the gate as my MD forged were. Once I adjust, I think they will be real weapons.

It's strange that you are seeing issues with the X Grind w/ a steep swing. When I was at the ECPC, Roger Cleveland told me to stay away from the X Grind because I am a sweeper and wasn't steep enough to make the X Grind work out well. He went on to say that the X Grind was designed for a steep angle of attack, maybe there is a line between good steep and too steep? After he gave me that feedback, I didn't even hit the X Grind, but @Pringles got a full wedge lesson and ended up with the X Grind. Maybe Roger was being nice after seeing me chip and said he's hopeless, lets not get sexy with this grind selection. Maybe if @Pringles wouldn't have hogged the man....

Haha listen when Roger Cleveland comes over and talks to you about wedges, fits your for bounce and lifts, fits your for grinds, and then throws in a lesson on top of it...you do not stop the man! As for the X Grind. Roger told me that since I am a steeper swinger that the X Grind will work well since it will let the leading edge get under the ball and the extra bounce towards the back of the club will help prevent digging. Either way I think it is important that everyone tests these clubs or any for that matter on the course or outdoor practice range to see what works for you. The X Grind wedge flat out performs for me and it’s my favorite wedge out of the lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Though I think I'm defying physics then with the X grind as I'm a steep mofo. Haha

Maybe I am up in the night. I tend to get steep in my swing, which is why I spin drivers so much and probably why the TEE CBX fairway is a good club for me. Today, the X grind would dig unless I made sure I came at it with a more shallow pass at the ball. Then the wedge came alive. Maybe it is just the out of sort, mid-winter short game blues. My full swings were great, but my short game and putting stunk. I will get these out again and see if my opinion remains the same.

It's strange that you are seeing issues with the X Grind w/ a steep swing. When I was at the ECPC, Roger Cleveland told me to stay away from the X Grind because I am a sweeper and wasn't steep enough to make the X Grind work out well. He went on to say that the X Grind was designed for a steep angle of attack, maybe there is a line between good steep and too steep? After he gave me that feedback, I didn't even hit the X Grind, but @Pringles got a full wedge lesson and ended up with the X Grind. Maybe Roger was being nice after seeing me chip and said he's hopeless, lets not get sexy with this grind selection. Maybe if @Pringles wouldn't have hogged the man....

I certainly could not argue with the man who has an entire company that bears his name. I swear, though, that my swing thought when I began to really make the X grind work was to come the ball almost sideways or horizontally.

Looking forward to getting these dirty
2739bcaba6f0c1e7d3f93b540a09dd3b.jpg

Gorgeous dude!

I certainly could not argue with the man who has an entire company that bears his name. I swear, though, that my swing thought when I began to really make the X grind work was to come the ball almost sideways or horizontally.

Like I said, I never hit the X Grind because he told me not to, when RfC says that won’t work for you, you go with it... He said that the X was like a Super C Grind, and that he’s been doing the X Grind for the Tour guys for awhile now.

Much better feel around the greens with this club. I can max out my 54* at 100 yards if need be, which would have to be the perfect hit, but I now only use the 54* from distances of 75-85 yards. I rather hit a half-swing Gap wedge with the extra forgiveness in the Epic iron. The max I'll use my 58* is around 65 yards. Could I get more out of it? Absolutely, but it seems when I take the full swing with these clubs it's tough to hit it center.

Chips lately have been some toe misses, so I worked on squaring the face better this weekend with both wedges and got the results I needed to get closer to the hole. Uphill lies, downhill lies, I was very happy around the greens with the extra spin grooves. Just have to work on hitting down and not picking it clean since that has been my focus lately.

I'll be ordering 2 of these soon..... soon... Chrome 56 (not 100% on the grind) chrome 60 x grind

I'm enjoying the finish durability for sure.

Not sure totally if they're going to oust my wedgeworks, but its a damn close race.

I'm enjoying the finish durability for sure.

Not sure totally if they're going to oust my wedgeworks, but its a damn close race.

Still a fan of the X grind?

Still a fan of the X grind?

I am, it's been a lot of fun thus far. Still waiting to break in the grooves some more before I put them on GC2 though.

I am, it's been a lot of fun thus far. Still waiting to break in the grooves some more before I put them on GC2 though.

That's what I wanted to hear bro

Having had the chance to play these wedges for a couple of 9 hole rounds, I believe that they are incredible at hitting specific yardages on full and partial swings. I hit full or partial swings with them on 7 of the 18 holes and each time, I was left with a makeable birdie putt.

They spin extremely well, sitting down or backing up on each of those shots. The grooves are very sharp, chewing up the two Bridgestone B XS balls I used for these two separate 9 hole rounds. I was able to hit nice, flighted, boring wedge shots with a ball flight and distance that I was expecting. I do not remember a better wedge for the more full wedge shots into greens.

I am going to need some time to adjust to the soles and bounces. They are not as easy for me to use as the bounce and sole of the MD forged wedges that I gamed for most of last year. Those seemed to slip through the ball without digging on the little finesse chips and wedges around the greens easier for me than these MD4s. I believe and hope I will adjust.

Its all your fault I had to order the 56 & 60 MD4 :angel:, yours felt so good and react to the ball so well I had to make the change. Now we have to get out and see how our scores get better!!! should have everything in hand by next week sometime...I hope.

Much better feel around the greens with this club. I can max out my 54* at 100 yards if need be, which would have to be the perfect hit, but I now only use the 54* from distances of 75-85 yards. I rather hit a half-swing Gap wedge with the extra forgiveness in the Epic iron. The max I'll use my 58* is around 65 yards. Could I get more out of it? Absolutely, but it seems when I take the full swing with these clubs it's tough to hit it center.

Chips lately have been some toe misses, so I worked on squaring the face better this weekend with both wedges and got the results I needed to get closer to the hole. Uphill lies, downhill lies, I was very happy around the greens with the extra spin grooves. Just have to work on hitting down and not picking it clean since that has been my focus lately.

I love the graphics in this video!

These wedges are truly amazing on full swings. They are very accurate and spin like nothing I ever remember playing.

I love the graphics in this video!

Love the information too. Nice video!

They must be selling the nonsense out of these, originally said 5-7 days, now it is saying back ordered 1-2 weeks. Hope that is not the case in fact, I went stock shafts just .50" over standard length, that should not have been to big a deal.

I'm getting more and more comfortable with these in the bag, still not totally sure if they make it for the season, but its getting close. That lowest partial groove is just killer for me right now in the 56W and 60X around the greens. Additionally though, the 50 on full swings is doing what I need it to numbers wise, that club/gap is why I made the move from the RTX3 that I loved to the SM6's, and its one that I absolutely must have comfort, confidence, and consistency with in full swings, so far the MD4 have delivered there. Next week I'm finally going to do some wedge vs wedge testing for the bag with the SM6 WW's and these MD4's, I think I have put enough time on these to break them in pretty well and make this a toe to toe fight.

I'm getting more and more comfortable with these in the bag, still not totally sure if they make it for the season, but its getting close. That lowest partial groove is just killer for me right now in the 56W and 60X around the greens. Additionally though, the 50 on full swings is doing what I need it to numbers wise, that club/gap is why I made the move from the RTX3 that I loved to the SM6's, and its one that I absolutely must have comfort, confidence, and consistency with in full swings, so far the MD4 have delivered there. Next week I'm finally going to do some wedge vs wedge testing for the bag with the SM6 WW's and these MD4's, I think I have put enough time on these to break them in pretty well and make this a toe to toe fight.

How is the 56 W grind on full swings?

These things cut like a knife!!! I loved my MD3's but I am In Love with my MD4's. Whatever they did with the movement of weights and MOI is unreal. My MD3's were good, really good, but the feel and feedback/response to the wedge at impact is almost surreal. Hard to explain but it really does feel like I'm cutting a head of lettuce with a chef's knife. That's the best way I can explain it. Oh, and going 4 for 5 in GIR's and a near chip in doesn't hurt either. Not to be overlooked by any means.

I just got the 56 R grind in for review over the weekend. She is scheduled for a photo shoot tonight, so I will have some pics up later today or tomorrow. Really looking forward to see what kind of spin numbers come from these, as I bet they will be high being brand new. Shaping is very similar to MD3 for me, which isn't a bad thing. Also fall in like with my SM6, which I was a fan of.

MD4 Wedges

MD4 Wedges

I have a quick question for everyone interested. I purchased the new Callaway MD4 54 and 58 degree wedges and have used them twice. I had the MD3 versions and have a question. Has anyone seen a big difference in the new versions? I feel I can spin the ball more, but they dig into the ground more than the MD3's. Maybe because it has rained a lot in SC and course is wet, but just thought I would get others advice if they have played the new version.

Back