Callaway MD4 Wedges

I must be the only person on THP that doesn't care for the raw.
I like how I have my MD2 T grind. Let it get a nice rust naturally and have the off groove toe area and high on the face show the wear pattern :beat-up:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I really want to spend some time with a MD4 60 C grind. Reading through this thread it doesnt sound like anybody has had issues with it but it also doesn't seem like a popular choice (C grind).

I use my 60 pretty much exclusively around the green and for bunker play and I probably have the face dialed open more often than not. Is there another grind I should be looking at as well?

Yep. Just you. :D I've always been a rust fan.

I really want to spend some time with a MD4 60 C grind. Reading through this thread it doesnt sound like anybody has had issues with it but it also doesn't seem like a popular choice (C grind).

I use my 60 pretty much exclusively around the green and for bunker play and I probably have the face dialed open more often than not. Is there another grind I should be looking at as well?

After playing around a bit with the X I wound up going with the C grind.

I think as long as your angle of attack is relatively neutral, and you tend to sweep it with fuller swings the C grind would be a good match. Especially if you're already used to it.

I've only been out once so far this year, but I saw much better results with this than I have other companies lower-bounce models.

I think as long as your angle of attack is relatively neutral, and you tend to sweep it with fuller swings the C grind would be a good match. Especially if you're already used to it.

I've only been out once so far this year, but I saw much better results with this than I have other companies lower-bounce models.
I really only use it for some more creative shots and I typically avoid using this sort of grind with a square face from a tight lie, I have other wedges for that shot.

How does Md4 C grind compare to the MD Forged R grind?

I really only use it for some more creative shots and I typically avoid using this sort of grind with a square face from a tight lie, I have other wedges for that shot.

I'm not sure, I've never hit the MD Forged wedges.

If you're primarily using your 60* for greenside shots, and you're comfortable with a moderate amount of bounce I think the C grind will work beautifully.

I feel like the C grind is a bit more aggressive with the relief and the ability to open up the face was easier (partly due to 2* of bounce difference in the 54* that I compared it to). That having been said, I am still not sold on my swing matching with the C grind great, but we will see this season. The R grind was pretty good for me in testing but I wanted the MD4 when placing the order.

How do people go about figuring out which grinds to go with?

I don't know if my swing is shallow or steep. My playing conditions vary from soft/wet in winter to dry and hard in summer.

I have traditionally have used the 50 and 54 for full or Peltz shots and the 58 for all greenside shots, including sand. I could transition that to use the 54 for all regular greenside shots and the 58 for specialty shot, but I'd still want all wedges to work for Pelz and full shots.

I don't know if my swing is shallow or steep. My playing conditions vary from soft/wet in winter to dry and hard in summer.

I have traditionally have used the 50 and 54 for full or Peltz shots and the 58 for all greenside shots, including sand. I could transition that to use the 54 for all regular greenside shots and the 58 for specialty shot, but I'd still want all wedges to work for Pelz and full shots.

Do you tend to take divots with your wedges or not (full shots and partials)? Do you open up the face at all? What situations do you tend to use certain wedges? You answer these questions and it will lead to a great starting point.

I ended up picking up a 58/x grind for a good price off club trader website and took it to the course last weekend. Was great when I hit it right, but I chunked it an inch or so behind the ball quite a few times, then caught a few on the heel. It was fantastic out of the sand though

Will take some getting used to, but my 54C should be here tomorrow :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Blake is probably a better resource than me on this. I will say that I'm a steeper swinger, and play in some variable conditions. So far the 60X has been awesome for me. I have also been able to hit a high shot into 80-90 yard greens, which is A nice addition when the situation calls for it.

I'm the same minus the Pelz, but don't think an of the grinds I have would hinder that. Love the X grind as it has a little more bounce to help in the sand but I can still open it up if I need to for shots around the green. The S grind is exactly what I expect from a standard grind wedge. I've been able to open it up some in the rough but generally use it for square faced shots.

Very much enjoying both of these wedges in my bag. Coming from the PM60 I didn't think there was a chance the X could unseat it. Based on the spin I'm seeing out of this one, it's beat out the current gen PM Grind for me for around the green shots. It's also very good out of the sand. Now if they put MD4 grooves on a PM Grind (which I've heard they're not this year, but I'm by no means an authority) I would definitely take a hard look there.

Is anyone gaming graphite shafts in their MD4s? Which ones? How do you like them?

Is anyone gaming graphite shafts in their MD4s? Which ones? How do you like them?

Saw them with some UST shafts this past weekend. Didn’t get any swings but looked sharp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think my home course has a couple MD4 wedges in the demo bag so next time I'm there I'll see about taking one for a spin. Hopefully they have a 60C

RFC watched me take a couple swings, and told me what grinds to go with. I take shallow divots and tend to be a picker, so the X Grind was ruled out. In the 54 he said S or W, but he liked the S better. In the 58, he just said C Grind and I didn’t ask questions.

In Nashville, we have very similar playing conditions that you are describing. I hope this helps...

When you get to the ECPC, get to Roger early, because you don’t know if another teammate will hog his time....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Word to the wise from me will be to get an idea going into it with the different options. When I switched to the MD3s I just went with the S-Grind. Unfortunately during my fitting I didn't have time to hit wedges since I was having other issues haha. But he suggested the S-Grind since I live in Florida and play in different conditions and it's their most versatile wedge.

The W-Grind is something I've looked at in the 54* spot since it is wider but I don't know much about grind options or how I would test it out.

With that said, I absolutely love the S-Grind in the 58* because I typically don't play shots longer than 50 yards with this wedge and rarely take a full swing with it, but it is fantastic around the greens, the groove in groove technology is real.

Woooooo
66cef4de7340681fde1051f4f9158035.jpg

Now I can get them out to the range to work on full swings, distances etc

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RFC watched me take a couple swings, and told me what grinds to go with. I take shallow divots and tend to be a picker, so the X Grind was ruled out. In the 54 he said S or W, but he liked the S better. In the 58, he just said C Grind and I didn’t ask questions.

In Nashville, we have very similar playing conditions that you are describing. I hope this helps...

When you get to the ECPC, get to Roger early, because you don’t know if another teammate will hog his time....

Now here is a thought...did I hog RFC or did RFC hog me? Not my fault my wedge swing sucked and he wanted to fix me! It’s much better now by the way! You should have spent some time with him. Cool dude! Haha

Do you tend to take divots with your wedges or not (full shots and partials)? Do you open up the face at all? What situations do you tend to use certain wedges? You answer these questions and it will lead to a great starting point.
I'm working toward small/shallow divots to no divots on full swings. About the same on partial shots, maybe trending toward no divot. With the v sole I tend to not open the club up much but I'm comfortable doing it. Usage is as described above, 58* is my workhorse.

Nope there is one more, I can't stand looking down at rust.

I must be the only person on THP that doesn't care for the raw.

I'm working toward small/shallow divots to no divots on full swings. About the same on partial shots, maybe trending toward no divot. With the v sole I tend to not open the club up much but I'm comfortable doing it. Usage is as described above, 58* is my workhorse.
Given that information, I'd start with the S grind, while considering the C grind as well to open up the face if you want.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The course I played yesterday had a MD4 60 C grind in the pro shop demo bag so I grabbed it and hit a handful of shots with it. I enjoyed the look a lot and I was able to pull off all 3 of my "go-to" wedge shots with ease. I wasn't able to hit any half or 3/4 swings with it, perhaps another opportunity will arise.

Mack Daddy 4 Wedge Spin Challenge

Got my new 54S and 58X grind out to the course a few days ago. As advertised, the extra groove at the bottom really helps the ball to check up after landing. I know it could just be the new grooves, but I don’t recall this happening when I originally got my MD3’s a couple of seasons ago.

Back