Callaway MD4 Wedges

@markm778, can you elaborate more on what you didn't like about the x grind, but did like about the w grind? was it a shape issue? did the x sit differently at address than the w?

If you look at the description on Home Page of the "x" grind, "Featuring a narrow, higher bounce sole, with a low point near the front of the wedge", in my case, with my swing, I don't get clean contact with a smaller "foot print". I would be "Blade City" with that wedge.

As JB once said about me, I'm a "Wide Sole" guy. Look at the Irons was playing before - Wide Sole.

I see this photo from Pringles wedge and I see PMish Grind - That's bad for my swing.
aeeb82df8bd55358bc77d6663d3e73bc.jpg

Hope that answers your question.

Someone say MD4’s??!! My teammates have said a lot of good things so far. Spin you say? Yes, and a ton of it. Getting back to these Texas Bermuda greens has been good cause out in CA full wedge shots were backing up 20 feet. These grooves are legit and let me say that 60 X grind out of bunkers and around the greens has been wonderful. Fantastic lineup and were really the surprise star of the show at the Grandaddy.

929fbc880ff2bf22913f8cc467bd16a4.jpg

Man this was the wrong year for my Callaway VIP account to end. 2018 is so full of Callaway awesome =(

The MD4’s were my favorite club from The Grandaddy. Spin, spin and more spin. In my singles match with DNevs, I raved about these all round long. Probably to the point of sounding annoying, haha. I did not hit these during my fitting, but I had hit the C grind in my warmup. There was a good 2-3min conversation about grinds/lofts with my fitter and eventually settled on 52* and *60 (bent to 58*) with Project X shafts.

31e41ee4ed916491de4a74d7eb3337ef.jpg

7f0942a12546b26d58e537d008584dee.jpg

2b76d18225737f5d06e8b92c52fae030.jpg

c0a0899975868171d113c9bb1fcefe15.jpg

a37988e14ba0c76ab97ac3abcc6c27f3.jpg

7e1fd9e172ca456ae85e14a77dff83e1.jpg

Typically, I’m not a high spin wedge guy. I don’t see the ball backup, but usually more of a very, very slight check and gentle rollout for a couple/few feet afterwards. With the MD4’s I was seeing two hops and stop out of the bunker and quite the check from around the green. The very few full swings I took generated similar results. I never did get fully accustomed to the spin I was seeing on the 2+ rounds at The Hideaway, but am quite ecstatic to put them in action at home once the weather allows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are some nice looking wedges. To the guys who got fit in Carlsbad are you gaming your iron shafts in these or wedge specific shafts?

True Temper XP 115 in irons
Project X in wedges

Very nice shape and love the black finish. In regards to the many options of grinds, I would have no idea which way to turn so that is where a fitting would be important to maximize the benefits.

I am in need of, at least, a new 54* and the X Grind seems right up my alley, hope it's available at that loft. Can't wait to try nonetheless.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I love what they're doing with the shape changes. The MDF was a definite upgrade over the MADE in terms of feel so I'm glad feel was a strong focus here.

Really like the looks of these. Looking to upgrade my wedges this season and these just made the list

wedge shafts in mine as well.

In hindsight since I full swing them so much probably could have asked for the Steelfibers through them

I hit a few with my buddies steelfiber wedges and liked them so much I had converted my wedges to steelfibers. They feel really good especially on the touch shots.

I will say that I also have experience with the MD Forged wedges and I could not get comfortable with the square edge of the MD Forged. I much prefer the rounded edge of the MD4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit a few with my buddies steelfiber wedges and liked them so much I had converted my wedges to steelfibers. They feel really good especially on the touch shots.
I had them in my old Bridgestone j40 wedges and loved them

Last year I made the switch to the MD3 getting the wedges in 54 and 58 with the S-grind. I liked the look of the 4 green drilled holes, but when I found out it wasn't just for look but rather a weight shift in the club head it peaked my interest further.

When I arrived at the ECPC I liked the look of the red drilled holes and "Mack Daddy 4" instead of "MD3 Milled." My fitter had my specs and agreed I should stay in the S-grind with both the 54 and 58 but flatten the lie 1 degree to stay consistent with my irons being 1 degree flat. I pondered getting 1 wedge in matte black and 1 wedge in the satin chrome but opted for the satin chrome on both to have the same look as my irons.

At address it sits nicely behind the ball. Performance wise it was very forgiving on toe and thinned hits. Sometimes I would wince at the speed a ball would flight into the green on a mishit, but to my surprise it still held well, assuming it has to be a combination of the grooves and micro grooves. This was my first time getting brand new wedges and giving it the finger/fingernail test you can feel the difference in the grooves, gives the consumer more confidence that these will have the ball spin more and hold greens.

At the Hideaway these wedges made me look like a Pro with how much spin these greens had, landed it and watching it spin back towards me or an aggressive left to right was cool, but that was more the quality of the greens, pristine.

Back home it's more stick and stop except one course I play at once a month. The greens run quick, and being aggressive with the 58* around the greens at this place is great. It doesn't matter if I land it short or long, I still get a solid rollout, and they feel soft which is nice. At courses that have softer greens I can get aggressive with the wedges and land it close, the ball does not travel too far from the divot.

What I like is the wedge doesn't dig either, I need to work on hitting down on the ball more to take out a nice divot and generate more spin, I'm more of the "pick it clean" hit the ball only type of guy but will work on hitting the ball then divot.

I'll post some photos later and thanks to our MVP for the sticker he sent each of us to put on our wedges.

When practicing around the greens with the wedges I have a shag bag of 7-10 Chrome Softs instead of beating up the grooves with range balls.

Overall a competitive price and great wedge. So many grooves, lofts, grinds, and flexes to choose from. Giving the consumer more options is never a bad thing!

Roger F'N Cleveland!

Finally get to show off some clubs. Having come straight from the MD3 line I have been thouougly impressed with the limited time I have with these beauties. I prefer the matte black look throughout my wedges rather than the chrome look of my iron setup.

I am currently gaming the following with UST Recoil 95 (Tipped 1") and Black UTX

50 Degree S Grind
54 Degree W Grind
58 Degree X Grind

The feel and spin with the MD4's are the best I have seen. Confidence is sky high at the moment with my wedge game. I was one of those new golfers who picked the MD3 specifically for the matte black and the green color scheme. A stupid reason really but I stuck around for their performance. Not a huge fan of the red in the MD4 to be honest but I have come along nicely as a golfer that the performance is #1 to me and a little paintfill is far behind. Easy cheap fix if you want to go with a different color. I just might... but I won't be taking these wedges out of my bag at all.

c0f3dcd36068e1b7585e2d33c3fc4b55.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm...might have to take the X-Grind challenge on 1/12 when they drop.

"Micro-Positive surface roughness has been milled into the flat parts of the face (meaning between the grooves) and it has small ridges that extend the surface area for contact."

Plenty of talk here on the great spin these new MD4 wedges are giving.

Has anybody noticed any chewing up of the urethane golf ball covers with this new groove tech where some of the groove extend out (micro positive)? Not sure I said that right but curious.

Nice looking wedges.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Plus every time you hit the X Grind and it spins back towards the hole to give you a birdie shot it is completely okay to get excited...

DeepPiercingCanadagoose-max-1mb.gif

Very nice shape and love the black finish. In regards to the many options of grinds, I would have no idea which way to turn so that is where a fitting would be important to maximize the benefits.

The black is stunning and funny story. I get done w/ my fitting and Amy got all my grinds down (didn't need to hit any cause she already knew my attack angle) but I hit some wedges anyways. Couldn't get over how solid, in the middle of the face, I was hitting them. With wedges that sometimes is an issue with me. Anyways, I hand in my order form to Tyler and about 10 minutes later realized I never even asked Amy to put down which color I wanted, chrome or black. I wanted black!!! Ahhh, so ran Tyler down and he ran down the order and got it updated. So glad that I asked Tyler to do that for me.

So I'll be the first to admit I'm no Big Time, nor am I some of my other teammates who have the ability to pull a string on the ball on command. As my wedge game is nothing to write home about, I generally play a lot of bump and run and very rarely do I try to get one to hop and stop. Not something in my bag of tricks.

Groove in groove has opened that bag of tricks up a little bit, as I was seeing a lot more one hop and stop action both in California and in the one round back here in Ohiotopia. I won't say that I'm now a full on wedge savant or anything, but I do have much more confidence in going at pins with these than I did with my previous wedges. Seriously looking forward to the weather breaking and getting fully acquainted with these clubs.

Thanks to IOD for the "G" to set the wedges off.

Few more pics when my phone connects to the server...:
045dc8a6a2b14678aa3296372e17fc4b.jpg

95a70ff9136c33434e9f38addb4e8921.jpg

595cae5d96b5fdb8d07f70eee8d20e1f.jpg

Last edited:
I like the looks of these. I'm not in a hurry to replace my wedges as the MD forged and my SM6s both have a ton of life in them, but that never stopped me before so these will be a definite ponder.

Has anybody noticed any chewing up of the urethane golf ball covers with this new groove tech where some of the groove extend out (micro positive)? Not sure I said that right but curious.

Possibly but I need more golf to say. I think with any new wedge that's sometimes an issue esp. if you hit enough full wedge shots into greens. Luke from Callaway was telling me many times pros will take their new wedges and hit 50ish bunker shots with 'em to help round everything out on the face. I said, "I'm not doing that to these beauties unless I hit it there!"

So I'll be the first to admit I'm no Big Time,

Am I getting "Punked" today or something?

"Micro-Positive surface roughness has been milled into the flat parts of the face (meaning between the grooves) and it has small ridges that extend the surface area for contact."

Not in my brief time with them, no.

Think as Nate mentioned there's some concerns with how sharp they are initially. I did some product placement for Callaway at the Hideaway, but the one ball that I used for the last 12 or so holes on day 1 held up fairly well. Few light scuff marks here and there but nothing that would make me pull it from play.

So I was only fit for two MD4s. 54S & 60X, both with the KBS Tour V wedge shaft in them, chosen as it was a little heavier than my iron shafts and would work well for me on partial shots.

I've only had a few rounds with these so far, but I'm definitely sold on the MD4s. The 54 was a no change needed replacement for me, coming from a RTX3 54. On my standard 54˚ shots, I'm seeing the distance I expect with plenty of spin. I've been able to hit some good shorter shots with it as well when called for. Actually really glad I went with the standard grind as it meshes better with the set and I've had no issues with digging, even in the soggy winter conditions here at home.

The 60X was a little bit of a change for me. There are some comparisons to the PM grind on the sole, but more of a combo between the W and C grinds than what you get with the PM. Visually though, you're looking at a standard lob wedge. Coming from a PM grind I was dubious, but so far have had some great success. The sole inspires that same confidence as the PM grind for me that as long as I get the club through the grass, it will do its job. It's also great from soft sand. I have struggled a little with the harder packed stuff now that I'm home, but that's an indian problem and something I'll work through once the warmer weather comes. Only ding I have against this one is that I grew used to having the grooves out to the toe, but so far I've only hit one far enough out to make a difference a handful of times. I'm also excited to have yet another option from distance as I'm more comfortable taking bigger swings with this than I was with the PM grind. 3/4 swings I'm seeing about 80-90 yards which lets me be a little less prescriptive on my layups as I can fly it high in there if I need to.

Spin wise these things are pretty nasty, as has been mentioned. In California I was seeing more spin than I'm used to for sure on touch shots around the green. Have been able to throw some darts in back home as well, but will be something I'll keep an eye on as these wear and we move back into normal golfing weather. I'll also mention that I've been able to hit knockdowns with both of these if needed, though that's an odd shot for a LW with me. I have hit some nice lower 54˚ shots that land hop and sit.

I'll try to get some pics up as soon as I'm home when there's decent light out. Let me know if anyone has any questions!

Those are some nice looking wedges. To the guys who got fit in Carlsbad are you gaming your iron shafts in these or wedge specific shafts?

Wedge shafts for me

Hmmmmmm...might have to take the X-Grind challenge on 1/12 when they drop.

Do it. Can't wait to see what you think.

Back