Callaway MD4 Wedges

46f10cd4f0af89cf4944493a9b3620ce.jpg

MD4 south paw style. Had to show off the PM as well .

It’s an unbelievable wedge... I had a down hill lie on one hole on the Pete Dye course (ok it was the tee box on the next hole) and this thing flew every bit to the number even from a weird stance. It’s 100% a performer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These look fantastic. Definitely would want to try the different grinds before making a purchase. I went all S in mine last year. I'm finding the X intriguing

What I noticed about the X Grind is that I can get away with being a little steep. The leading edge gets under the ball nicely and the bounce of the club pops the ball up. I found out that I can drive the club about an inch behind the ball and the bounce will cause it to pop straight up like a little flop shot. I’m really curious to see how this works on a soft course. Either way I am an X grind believer.

These look fantastic. Definitely would want to try the different grinds before making a purchase. I went all S in mine last year. I'm finding the X intriguing

Based on your iron liking habits, you would like the W as well.

Based on your iron liking habits, you would like the W as well.

Absolutely. I was between the S and W last year during my fitting and we ended up going S since I had been playing them leading up to the event. I can get pretty steep with my wedges.

Absolutely. I was between the S and W last year during my fitting and we ended up going S since I had been playing them leading up to the event. I can get pretty steep with my wedges.

I'm the same way but struggled with consistency in the W grind, which is why I went S in my 54. I think the X is a nice middle ground.

I’d also be curious in trying that x grind over time, it’s definitely interesting looking.

Hmmm...what grinds, what grinds

They look really nice, had a set of the MD2’s. Think I chose the wrong grind which did not fully maximize the potential I could have got from them. May need to take a look at these

What I noticed about the X Grind is that I can get away with being a little steep. The leading edge gets under the ball nicely and the bounce of the club pops the ball up. I found out that I can drive the club about an inch behind the ball and the bounce will cause it to pop straight up like a little flop shot. I’m really curious to see how this works on a soft course. Either way I am an X grind believer.

This is great info right here. Love it.

Those Grandaddy wedges look fantastic.

Seriously great looking wedges...really want to try something in a W grind and something in an X grind...hmmm...ponder mode activated!

Would be cool to see Cally update the PM grind on one of these releases.

I want the 54* & 58* in X Grind so badly! These will be in the bag by the start of our 2018 season!

Here are my initial thoughts about the wedges:

First off...I was so pumped to hear that these wedges would be on the table since we got a sneak peak of them from the tour players switching to them. Then again I had no idea what was going to be available because I missed the Day 1 presentation. Who was I kidding...its the F'ING GRANDADDY. So I get to the range at ECPC and when it was my turn to get fit I was told to go warm up. I walked over the the bag of wedges and wouldn't you have guessed it...there were about 30 different MD4 wedges will all the lofts and bounce options. Of course the first thing I grab is the 60* in the new X grind because well its the new X grind. I take my first swing with the club and turn to @Nate who was also hitting wedges and go "Are you kidding me?" He responds with "Feels good doesn't it." I am not kidding you when I say that the feel of these wedges are addictive. I am not sure if it is the metal, the new grooves, or the joy of having new clubs but man do they feel good! Well anyways its time to get fit for irons.

Fast forward to my wedge fitting. I am talking with my fitter JD about what wedges I wanted to go with and tossed around the idea of playing 4 MD4 wedges. His immediate response was "that is an excellent idea. Lets go get some wedges." So we go over and decide to get the 46* S grind, 50* S grind, 56* S grind, and my new favorite wedge the 60* X grind. We start hitting wedges and I asked about gapping. He decided to bend the 46* to 45* to match the loft set of my X Forged irons but then I asked if I should bend a 56* to 55* or a 54* to a 55* to keep 5 degrees of loft between each wedge. He turns to me and goes...why don't you go ask Roger.

And ladies and gentleman when you have a chance to no only talk to Roger F'ing Cleveland but to ask him about the wedges the HE CREATED...you do it no questions asked. So I go over to Roger and ask him about bending the wedges and his immediate response was..."Let see you hit some wedges." No problem sir! I start hitting wedges and he says to me "You have an excellent swing with your irons. You use your big muscles well and it translate to a beautiful butter cut. The problem is that you like to use those muscles in your shorter swing and that is a big problem." This is the point where 1) I am in awe that Roger Cleveland thinks my self taught golf swing is beautiful 2) Roger Cleveland agrees with me that my short games sucks! So Roger then tells me to hit a short 20 yard pitch shot and try to feel the club head release. As in throw the club head in front of the ball. He then has me hit some one handed shots (right hand) to get the feel of the clubhead passing my hands for a soft pitch. After about 8 minutes of this...he has me hit some more shots and goes...OK you get a little steep so you should go with more bounce because bounce is your friend. That is why I now have a 54* wedge bent to 55* in the S grind. I then asked him about the X grind and he said "that is an excellent new grind that would work well with your swing. The extra bounce at the back of the club will help you get through the ball without digging. After that...JD asked Roger what shafts he recommended for me. Roger said that I should go same shaft as my irons (KBS C-Taper 125 S+) in the 45* and 50* wedges and Dynamic Gold S400 shafts in my 55* and 60*. He did this so that I got a little more feel on the touch shots.

Moving to the course I do not think that I have had enough experience with these yet but I will highlight a could of shots that I hit at the Grandaddy that I will never forget:
- I hit a 50* wedge on a par three from 123 yards to about 3 ft that scared the hole.
- I hit a flip wedge from a valley to an uphill tucked pin that I could not see against Harry and AJ. The ball apparently checked after once bounce right next to the hole and Harry gave me the birdie.
- I hit an opened X Grind 60* out of a greenside bunker and almost dunked the ball.

I am so pumped to put these in play this year back home and see how the ball reacts at my home courses back here in Illinois. Well gentleman I hope I helped give some insight on these wedges. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Those Grandaddy wedges look fantastic.
Yeah ItsOpeningDay surprised us all with the stickers to put on them when he sent us our special gift. Awesome gesture

Loving the info from the Grandaddy crew. These were not on my radar before but are now.

Thanks for the feedback on these guys! I'm really loving the black MD4's, I could definitely see a 58* in the bag this year. I'd just like to spend some time with different grinds, it's kind of a toss up between the X or C in that spot for me. I think...

These wedges look fantastic and the tech seems legit. I need to check these out as I was a big fan of the MD3

First off...I was so pumped to hear that these wedges would be on the table since we got a sneak peak of them from the tour players switching to them. Then again I had no idea what was going to be available because I missed the Day 1 presentation. Who was I kidding...its the F'ING GRANDADDY. So I get to the range at ECPC and when it was my turn to get fit I was told to go warm up. I walked over the the bag of wedges and wouldn't you have guessed it...there were about 30 different MD4 wedges will all the lofts and bounce options. Of course the first thing I grab is the 60* in the new X grind because well its the new X grind. I take my first swing with the club and turn to @Nate who was also hitting wedges and go "Are you kidding me?" He responds with "Feels good doesn't it." I am not kidding you when I say that the feel of these wedges are addictive. I am not sure if it is the metal, the new grooves, or the joy of having new clubs but man do they feel good! Well anyways its time to get fit for irons.

Fast forward to my wedge fitting. I am talking with my fitter JD about what wedges I wanted to go with and tossed around the idea of playing 4 MD4 wedges. His immediate response was "that is an excellent idea. Lets go get some wedges." So we go over and decide to get the 46* S grind, 50* S grind, 56* S grind, and my new favorite wedge the 60* X grind. We start hitting wedges and I asked about gapping. He decided to bend the 46* to 45* to match the loft set of my X Forged irons but then I asked if I should bend a 56* to 55* or a 54* to a 55* to keep 5 degrees of loft between each wedge. He turns to me and goes...why don't you go ask Roger.

And ladies and gentleman when you have a chance to no only talk to Roger F'ing Cleveland but to ask him about the wedges the HE CREATED...you do it no questions asked. So I go over to Roger and ask him about bending the wedges and his immediate response was..."Let see you hit some wedges." No problem sir! I start hitting wedges and he says to me "You have an excellent swing with your irons. You use your big muscles well and it translate to a beautiful butter cut. The problem is that you like to use those muscles in your shorter swing and that is a big problem." This is the point where 1) I am in awe that Roger Cleveland thinks my self taught golf swing is beautiful 2) Roger Cleveland agrees with me that my short games sucks! So Roger then tells me to hit a short 20 yard pitch shot and try to feel the club head release. As in throw the club head in front of the ball. He then has me hit some one handed shots (right hand) to get the feel of the clubhead passing my hands for a soft pitch. After about 8 minutes of this...he has me hit some more shots and goes...OK you get a little steep so you should go with more bounce because bounce is your friend. That is why I now have a 54* wedge bent to 55* in the S grind. I then asked him about the X grind and he said "that is an excellent new grind that would work well with your swing. The extra bounce at the back of the club will help you get through the ball without digging. After that...JD asked Roger what shafts he recommended for me. Roger said that I should go same shaft as my irons (KBS C-Taper 125 S+) in the 45* and 50* wedges and Dynamic Gold S400 shafts in my 55* and 60*. He did this so that I got a little more feel on the touch shots.

Moving to the course I do not think that I have had enough experience with these yet but I will highlight a could of shots that I hit at the Grandaddy that I will never forget:
- I hit a 50* wedge on a par three from 123 yards to about 3 ft that scared the hole.
- I hit a flip wedge from a valley to an uphill tucked pin that I could not see against Harry and AJ. The ball apparently checked after once bounce right next to the hole and Harry gave me the birdie.
- I hit an opened X Grind 60* out of a greenside bunker and almost dunked the ball.

I am so pumped to put these in play this year back home and see how the ball reacts at my home courses back here in Illinois. Well gentleman I hope I helped give some insight on these wedges. If you have any other questions please let me know.
Excellent feedback and fantastic stories as well. Roger Cleveland.....wow.

These are a must swing!

All this feedback is awesome to read. I love how THPers were some of the first to get these in their bags.

The more I read, the more I want these in the bag.

I’ll certainly give these a try this year. Might be the year that Callaway wedges work for me but history isn’t on my side. Fun experiment either way!

I think these are very nice looking wedges. I struggle with all these grind options. Another source once said something like "Your swing changes day to day, the course changes day to day, conditions change every day, things can be different hole to hole. Why have specialty grinds?" That has always resonated with me. If I were to go with these wedges I guess I'd just default to the most versatile sole and roll with it.

I think these are very nice looking wedges. I struggle with all these grind options. Another source once said something like "Your swing changes day to day, the course changes day to day, conditions change every day, things can be different hole to hole. Why have specialty grinds?" That has always resonated with me. If I were to go with these wedges I guess I'd just default to the most versatile sole and roll with it.

There's a lot of truth there, and I subscribe to that theory in general as well. But the main thing that has helped my wedge game over the years is simply understanding what different grinds do and where they excel or struggle. I watch my dad constantly trying to play open face wedge shots with a 14 bounce sand wedge and I just shake my head, he might as well try to eat soup with a fork.

Love love love the info on these. I can see these making my bag this season.

Nice feedback dude! Those are some sick shots!

Back