Callaway MD4 Wedges

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the shape of these... looks to be in between the MD3 and MDF

too bad the X Grind is only available in the high lofts (for now?)

I am very impressed, luv the matte black finish and the look of these wedges, they are just a huge step forward and the level of detail....wow!

Based on your overview these wedges are definitely going to need a fitting with 4 different grind options. Looking forward to the user testing and feedback.

Not to hijack this thread but do you think they will freshen up the pm grind wedge

Nice looking wedges for sure. These should do the trick for an update to the very good MD3 wedge line.

Looking forward to hearing what the Grandaddy guys have to say about them.

Throwing some pics up this morning before I head off to work and will get my thoughts posted a little later today. For a guy like me who has some difficulty with his wedge game these have performed well over the course of my Grandaddy matches and the limited usage since I've been back.

More to come..

eac47337af4d955829ac0dcc5aefc704.jpg

9c8900ad34d22bd7545d6cd1d1c7e3d6.jpg

df88fef79be3f676dd5e4e5e279a6a04.jpg

Top club is my old RTX3

Last edited:
These look good, I've always struggled with Callaway wedges but seeing the improvement from Nate with these in hand was pretty telling. Definitely not the same old Mack Daddy....

Will be giving these a go. Look like a mix of the MD2 and MD3 visually to me. The X grind is much ballyhoo'd by several who were at Callaway in December, so I'd enjoy giving it a try having gamed every version of the MD's at some point.

Will be giving these a go. Look like a mix of the MD2 and MD3 visually to me. The X grind is much ballyhoo'd by several who were at Callaway in December, so I'd enjoy giving it a try having gamed every version of the MD's at some point.

Yeah one of my regrets from fitting day was not getting fit for the wedges and trying them out. The guys with the X grind absolutely raved about them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No longer redacted wedges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great article and thanks for the information.

They may look like the MD3, but reading the details a bit deeper, there is a lot that has changed (for the better) with the MD4 line. I'm looking to switch up my wedges to gap better from my GW and I'm going to have to take a hard look at these as options.

4747327d9bd45953842bc1493e8365a7.jpg

Redacted no more...

I love the looks of the MD4 wedges. I know the performance will be there as well. Looking forward to getting these in the bag

Wow as an MD2 player I never really liked the MD3's. Being in the market for new wedges I will have to give these a look for sure I love the black, but I could do without the red.

a52f5130c41917eaf49ded92131212c4.jpg
4dcf61ec3a197c496bc7b322ee22183c.jpg
8f3aaa41d63db2f903b5f9a47976f3aa.jpg
aeeb82df8bd55358bc77d6663d3e73bc.jpg
c0d16ac534aed8ca7547681a6b47b9ed.jpg

My initial thoughts will come later but I wanted to throw some pics up for you guys because I absolutely love these wedges. Coming from MD3 and PM Grind I will say that these wedges blow them out of the water in terms of feel and spin. I don’t have much experience with them yet but man they share so look good.

P.S. Big thanks again to ItsOpeningDay for making these “G” labels for all of us to throw on the wedges.

Nice write up Josh!! I am a big fan of the MD 3s and these should be even better!

These look great. The new grooves sound exciting and now I’m wondering if I should have waited to replace my wedges.

Thanks for those pictures Pringles. I like the XGrind a lot the more I see it.

I really like the looks of these wedges a lot! It's a really nice integration of the aesthetics between the MD2 and MD3 and it works really well. I am interested in the new grind, but I'm not sure it's what I need. I like the S for full swing and I think the C might be better in the higher lofts, I would like to try the X though.

The explanation of the grinds is extremely useful.

The Groove-in-Groove technology in these wedges is legit.

I'll preface this by saying I am by no means a spin player at all, heck Id argue Im anti spin due to poor technique (more top spin than anything). And while there will be some benefit to having new wedges with fresh grooves, ive been fortunate enough to try out 2 other brand new sets in the last year or so, and never saw day 1 spin like I did with these.

Primarily on the practice greens pre event, from just off of the green I was seeing balls check up with small subtle roll out afterwards. This definitely took some getting used to as I am am typically used to line drives onto the greens and lots of roll. Unfortunately for me any form of short game touch did not accompany me for the rounds i played at the Grandaddy so more feedback in that respect will have to come when Winter departs us.

On full swing shots id say the distances were closely in line with my RTX-3's that I spent about 15 months or so gaming, Im hoping to verify those numbers in the spring.

Not much I can say on the versatility in the sand, as I think I was only in 2 traps at the event and one was the horrific final hole that was caught on camera.

As you can see form the pics the Black Matte finish looks sharp (and even moreso in hand), and Im interested to see how that finish holds up after a few months of play, as different black finishes from manufacturers wear quite a bit differently.

Last edited:
I really like the looks of those. This is killing me. I've got a baby that'll be here next month, so I really don't need to spend any more money, but I may can squeeze these in somewhere.

i loved my time with the md3 lineup, and the w grind was a rockstar for me. hearing that they have somehow improved the w grind is really exciting.

i'm interested to learn more about the playability differences between w grind and x grind.

I'll echo what 441 said, the groove-in-groove tech is the killer feature of these wedges for me.

I'm playing a 48* S (bent to 49*), a 54* S (bent to 55*) and a 60* C in platinum chrome.

Generally speaking I don't have trouble generating spin with full wedge shots, but I'm not as consistent as I'd like to be with the flighted one hop and stop pitch shot. I also had a rough year last year with a bit of a revolving door with the wedges in my bag.

There are two shots in particular that stand out to me from The Grandaddy, both during the shamble 9.

On one of the longer par 3 holes Mike and I both missed the green right. My ball was under a tree and unplayable, his nearly killed JB (and broke the cooler on his cart), bounced back 30 yards and crossed the cart path landing on a nearby patch of hardpan. We were faced with about a 30 yard blind shot to a back pin. We had plenty of green to work with but a dicey lie. We both hit almost identical shots, flying about 3/4 of the way there and absolutely stopping on a dime. I don't think either of us counted on getting that kind of action from that lie...

Similarly, on a short par 4 we used Mike's drive and had about 45 yards from the middle of the fairway. The pin was about 8 feet from the front of the green with a side-board right and a bit of a backstop. I hit a half-swing 55* wedge about 10-15 past the pin and it sucked back to about 4 feet (which I then proceeded to miss).

There was definitely some short game rust at The Hideaway, but from what I saw from these clubs in limited action I can safely say these are safe in my bag (until they wear out). I'm really looking forward to getting them back outside when things warm up.

Overall, these wedges really look good to my eye. They feel soft enough, but solid at the same time. I'll be looking forward to seeing if the grinds I was fit to continue to work in the variety of conditions up here as our weather changes.

If you're in the market for new wedges this year these are definitely worth trying out.

I'll take 2 please. 56* x grind and 60* s grind. Please and thank you :)

Back