I was wondering the same thing. I currently play the Callaway Apex CF 16 and like the smaller head size - just wondering if the larger head size on the G700 would be a turn-off and if the i500 might be more comparable to the CF 16?

I had the CF16s and thought the same thing when I saw the i500s at address (in photos). The i500s are just beautiful IMO.

I own the G700s now and bet you'll think that they're too long from heel to toe.

I saw a G700 video where they described them as a 6i goes as high as a 7i and as long as a 5i. I think that's accurate.

For a mid handicapper like me, these irons are the best from PING since the Eye 2s.

Although I will say that I've found I don't require the offset or the size of the heads. I sure would like to try the i500s ("But honey, the i500s have the Hydropearl 2.0 finish.") :bicker:

I saw a G700 video where they described them as a 6i goes as high as a 7i and as long as a 5i. I think that's accurate.

For a mid handicapper like me, these irons are the best from PING since the Eye 2s.

Although I will say that I've found I don't require the offset or the size of the heads. I sure would like to try the i500s ("But honey, the i500s have the Hydropearl 2.0 finish.") :bicker:

I am (was?) very happy with the look and performance of my G700 which I have had for only a few months.

I went to Golftown yesterday to put the i500 next to the G700. Damn. It's like dating a pretty girl and then meeting her beautiful sister! The i500s are beautiful. I really don't know if I'm a good enough player for them. I still have mishits on my G700s, but I have a lot of great hits too.

Got to swing a G700 demo club tonight. I hit it with the Recoil 780 SMACWRAP in R flex and it felt wonderfully stable with that shaft. It was in an indoor bay where I didn't feel comfortable taking full swings and didn't have a launch monitor but I may borrow it from the shop and take it to an outdoor range to see how it flies against my BB OS irons. If these irons have a giant sweet spot that will help me retain ball speeds better than my current irons I may be in love.

I am (was?) very happy with the look and performance of my G700 which I have had for only a few months.

I went to Golftown yesterday to put the i500 next to the G700. Damn. It's like dating a pretty girl and then meeting her beautiful sister! The i500s are beautiful. I really don't know if I'm a good enough player for them. I still have mishits on my G700s, but I have a lot of great hits too.

Well, my question has been answered. :( I am not a good enough player for the i500s. I'm back to my G700s and loving it. These are almost a club longer for me and easier to make solid contact. I really missed the length of these guys.

Well, my question has been answered. :( I am not a good enough player for the i500s. I'm back to my G700s and loving it. These are almost a club longer for me and easier to make solid contact. I really missed the length of these guys.

I too like the G700 model. My friend plays the i500 but I think the over all forgiveness of the G700 makes it a more compelling choice.
Thanks for posting. It is helpful to read commentary from someone who has played both the G700 and i500 models.

Anyone still gaming G700s that also played GMax irons? I am into a heavy ponder on the G700s as my distance continues to fall as I am getting older. Currently have Rogue X and Cleveland Launcher HB.

I just returned my G700 to golf galaxy. I didn’t like the feel at all and distance gain was minimal for me. Just ordered the new Callaway Epic forged irons. Expecting massive distance gains. I sure need it!

I just returned my G700 to golf galaxy. I didn’t like the feel at all and distance gain was minimal for me. Just ordered the new Callaway Epic forged irons. Expecting massive distance gains. I sure need it!

Did you have the std lofts in your G700’s or the power specs ? Reason I ask is if you had the standard lofts you’re not comparing apples to apples as the Epic Forged uses more JDM like specs.

For example 6i specs:
G700 26* - 37 5/8”
Epic Forged 24* - 38.875” - this is a 4i in some pro sets.

The g700 5i would be a better club to compare at 23* and 38.25”.

one of the best clubs i have demoed so far definitely has high launch and seems to stick with in 5 to ten yds of the drop by my experience

one of the best clubs i have demoed so far definitely has high launch and seems to stick with in 5 to ten yds of the drop by my experience

They definitely launch high. One of the main reasons I went with the G700's is their high flight (I am a low ball hitter). Usually I play urethane balls and had a chance to get in 9 holes the other day. I gamed the Supersoft matte surlyn ball for a change and shot my best 9 hole rd in the past 4 years (+2, 38). Those even had no issues stopping fairly quickly.

I picked up my G700 tonight and got some range time in. I didn't hit every single irons but sampled throughout the range in my small bucket. I'll be damned if these things aren't quite possibly the the easiest irons to hit that I've ever swung. The build quality on them is amazing and each club has a wonderful weight balance to them. I've missed having the SMACWRAP recoils in my bag and these easily outperform my previous F9 OL across the bag from top to bottom based upon my first swing impressions on the set. These are at least a full club length longer than the F9 OL was for me.

Anyone who plays the G700 like using the 4i over a hybrid?

I'm enjoying my experience with the G700 so far but I'm finding out in my brief experience that I hit the 5i much better than I hit the G410 4h. It's making me ponder if I want to take the plunge to add the 4i to my set. It might just be a shaft thing with the 4h but the 5i was launching high and straight. If the 4i will perform even remotely like that it might be enough to knock a hybrid out of my bag. I'm a slower swing player so usually the hybrid is a no brainer in this spot and I never considered I might actually hit a 4i well in this lineup.

gmiller598;n8874036 said:
Anyone who plays the G700 like using the 4i over a hybrid.

For me even a 5i would be unplayable. I sometimes don’t even launch my 6i adequately.

if the 5i is working I’d say try the 4i. If anything it might have some resale value as a driving type iron.

erock9174;n8874335 said:
For me even a 5i would be unplayable. I sometimes don’t even launch my 6i adequately.

if the 5i is working I’d say try the 4i. If anything it might have some resale value as a driving type iron.

I use my G700 4-iron primarily as a driving iron. Off the tee boxes, sea level flat terrain, I can carry it about 200-205 and play this club off of some par 4 tee boxes as well as to position my par 5 second shots within a narrow landing area short of the green. The G700 4-iron has only 20* of loft, which is stronger than a traditional 3-iron.
For higher trajectory, softer landing shots, or from less than ideal lies , I play my 19* Cleveland hybrid.

gmiller598;n8874036 said:
Anyone who plays the G700 like using the 4i over a hybrid?

I'm enjoying my experience with the G700 so far but I'm finding out in my brief experience that I hit the 5i much better than I hit the G410 4h. It's making me ponder if I want to take the plunge to add the 4i to my set. It might just be a shaft thing with the 4h but the 5i was launching high and straight. If the 4i will perform even remotely like that it might be enough to knock a hybrid out of my bag. I'm a slower swing player so usually the hybrid is a no brainer in this spot and I never considered I might actually hit a 4i well in this lineup.

For about a year now I've been playing a full set of G700, from SW thru 4-iron. They're all great, including the wedges.
If you pick up a G700 4-iron I think you should expect that the "degree of difficulty" between the 5-iron and 4-iron is the same as any other iron set. Specifically, less loft will fly on a lower trajectory and less loft is harder to use from less than ideal lies.
I've found well struck 5-iron carries about as far as a slightly mishit 4-iron, so mostly I play the 4-iron when a bit lower trajectory and some roll out is desired.

Back